Author Topic: Saeco Titan Conical Coffee Bean Burr Grinder - Good Deal?  (Read 1791 times)

agrue2

Saeco Titan Conical Coffee Bean Burr Grinder - Good Deal?
« on: May 27, 2008, 10:16:46 AM »

Saeco Titan Conical Coffee Bean Burr Grinder from $70 + free shipping
Costco.com offers its members the Saeco Titan Conical Coffee Bean Burr Grinder, model no. GT-1, for $69.99. (Non-members pay $3.50 more.) With free shipping, it's the lowest total price we could find by $55. Sales tax is added where applicable. Features include a 60-second programmable timer, 12 grind settings, auto shut-off, and more.

thejavaman

Re: Saeco Titan Conical Coffee Bean Burr Grinder - Good Deal?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2008, 10:23:29 AM »
That sounds like a great deal for a good grinder.  I've heard good things about it - I don't know about espresso potential though.  Since it comes from Costco - you can always return it no questions asked too!

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2008, 10:30:48 AM »
I bought one of these from Costco a month ago for a customer.  Before he got it, I did some basic evaluations, and found it to be a great grinder for that price.  Very uniform grind at a fairly fine setting.  I didn't set it at espresso, since the customer isn't going to use it for that, nor is the grinder designed for it.

The only glitch he's found in using the Saeco is that the ground coffee hopper/catcher likes to slide out during use from the vibrations.  But a strip of duct tape on the bottom will cure that.

I'm of the persuasion that the Saeco Titan, and Solis/Baratza Maestro, and some Starbucks grinders are all basically the same thing.  The burr sets look to be identical, and I'd expect the motors to be the same as well, with only the housing and cosmetics different.  Some have timers, others a simple on/off switch.  But the performance should be the same, which makes the Titan a better deal.

If someone was looking at an entry level burr grinder like a Cuisinart, I think the Saeco Titan would certainly be worth another $20.  Another customer just e-mailed to say he's buying one from Costco.  Maybe I need to buy a case...
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2008, 11:34:17 AM »
Sounds like a deal ... they claim it is good for espresso and turkish coffee ... that is easier claimed than proven.  Has anyone tested the grind on espresso?

???

Incidentally it is selling for $129.00 at Amazon.com.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2008, 11:43:57 AM by mp »
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2008, 12:09:50 PM »
I believe it would work for espresso, as would others in this class.  But how well, and for how long is the question.  Even if you could get a good shot out of it, the burrs aren't made for it and would wear faster than a Canook eating a ... well, we'll just say if you're doing espressos, get a real grinder.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2008, 12:14:30 PM »
I believe it would work for espresso, as would others in this class.  But how well, and for how long is the question.  Even if you could get a good shot out of it, the burrs aren't made for it and would wear faster than a Canook eating a ... well, we'll just say if you're doing espressos, get a real grinder.

Yeah ... that's what I thought.  Thanks for confirming Peter.

Incidentally ... "Canook"'s have a good appetite.

;D
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

Tex

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2010, 01:25:52 PM »

Saeco Titan Conical Coffee Bean Burr Grinder from $70 + free shipping
Costco.com offers its members the Saeco Titan Conical Coffee Bean Burr Grinder, model no. GT-1, for $69.99. (Non-members pay $3.50 more.) With free shipping, it's the lowest total price we could find by $55. Sales tax is added where applicable. Features include a 60-second programmable timer, 12 grind settings, auto shut-off, and more.

Not available from Costco, but Fry Electronics still carries the Saeco Titan for $79.90. It's not available online, but I did see them in the stores this week.

FYI: There's a mod that makes the Titan/Solis 166 suitable for espresso.