Author Topic: eBay - Lake Ozark, MO: Futurmat Rimini 2-group, $300  (Read 1994 times)

Tex

eBay - Lake Ozark, MO: Futurmat Rimini 2-group, $300
« on: February 02, 2010, 11:48:18 AM »
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270522808933

Seller says machine will not get hot enough. 95% sure the pressure stat needs adjustment or replacing (<$100) part.

Caveat emptor!

« Last Edit: February 12, 2010, 08:29:50 AM by Tex »

Tex

Re: eBay - Lake Ozark, MO: Futurmat Rimini 2-group, $300
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2010, 08:34:20 AM »
It's not conveniently located for most folks and they won't ship, but for $300 starting bid, this is a sweet buy. Like I said, it doesn't heat properly and I'd be willing to bet the pressure stat needs adjusting, rebuilding, or replacing (or put a PID on it for about the same money).

http://cgi.ebay.com/COMMERCIAL-RIMINI-Espresso-Expresso-Machine-DEAL-4U_W0QQitemZ270529057257

Offline shakin_jake

• Standard User
  • one over the 8th
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2010, 09:41:14 AM »
it doesn't heat properly and I'd be willing to bet the pressure stat needs adjusting, rebuilding, or replacing (or put a PID on it for about the same money).

http://cgi.ebay.com/COMMERCIAL-RIMINI-Espresso-Expresso-Machine-DEAL-4U_W0QQitemZ270529057257

~~~Or maybe the heating element is shorted out like the seller suggests.  Still not going to cost a lot to repair but, it is 240 volts, two group...certainly not a good candidate for a home machine but would be a nice commercial machine for little dinero.  Too bad they wont ship

Jake
Reddick Fla.
Education is a method whereby one acquires a higher grade of prejudices.
-- Laurence J. Peter

Tex

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2010, 10:47:29 AM »
it doesn't heat properly and I'd be willing to bet the pressure stat needs adjusting, rebuilding, or replacing (or put a PID on it for about the same money).

~~~Or maybe the heating element is shorted out like the seller suggests.  Still not going to cost a lot to repair but, it is 240 volts, two group...certainly not a good candidate for a home machine but would be a nice commercial machine for little dinero.  Too bad they wont ship

Jake
Reddick Fla.
-- Laurence J. Peter

The way they worded it, "...Water does not heat to steam level...", would seem to indicate it does heat, but just doesn't get hot enough to steam. A short in the element would trip the circuit breaker - no heat at all. A faulty or maladjusted pstat would keep it from heating properly.

You have to learn to read between the lines.  ;D

And I know lots of folks with 2-group machines in their homes. The difference in boiler size between a 1-grp & 2-grp Rimini is slight and they have only a slightly larger footprint than a 1-grp Rimini. Other than it requiring a 220 volt outlet there's not much difference between the 1 & 2 group machines.

edited: If it's a 2-grp Compact or XL model, the 2-group is the same size as the 1-grp, with the same boiler.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2010, 10:57:43 AM by Tex »

Offline shakin_jake

• Standard User
  • one over the 8th
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2010, 12:03:07 PM »

~~~Or maybe the heating element is shorted out like the seller suggests.  Still not going to cost a lot to repair but, it is 240 volts, two group...certainly not a good candidate for a home machine but would be a nice commercial machine for little dinero.  Too bad they wont ship

Jake
Reddick Fla.
-- Laurence J. Peter

The way they worded it, "...Water does not heat to steam level...", would seem to indicate it does heat, but just doesn't get hot enough to steam. A short in the element would trip the circuit breaker - no heat at all. A faulty or maladjusted pstat would keep it from heating properly.

And I know lots of folks with 2-group machines in their homes. The difference in boiler size between a 1-grp & 2-grp Rimini is slight and they have only a slightly larger footprint than a 1-grp Rimini. Other than it requiring a 220 volt outlet there's not much difference between the 1 & 2 group machines.

edited: If it's a 2-grp Compact or XL model, the 2-group is the same size as the 1-grp, with the same boiler.

~~~Tex,  I think you have a short in your brain=:-)  j/k  So you know "lots of folks" w/2 groups in their homes, where do they have them plugged in, next to the washing machine?=:-)

Okay, many homes (in the U.S.) have 220 volts in the kitchen for the stove but the cost to have an electrician to run 220 volts to a counter where the espresso machine could sit, I believe there are some that would go to the expense but why when you can save the money spent on the electrician and spend it on the purchase price of a 110 volt espresso maker

I suppose I'm looking at this 220 volt issue through a jaded lens, since in my own circumstance, to run any uprated power line to the counter top, I have a counter top island with an underground conduit (below concrete)...not an easy or cheap proposition, unless you have a Brother-In-Law that is a Sparky

Now in regards to the 2 group Rimini being the same size (or close) to a one group Rimini, it's still a whopping big espresso maker, I know, I have one, but you knew that=:-)

Anyways, anyone considering buying an HX machine for their home, may be open to the possibility of buying a 220 volt 2 group machine and going through the expense of running an additional *new* power line, and have a monster on the counter top.  Okay, happy now Tex?=:-)

Jake
Reddick Fla.
-- Laurence J. Peter

milowebailey

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2010, 12:21:24 PM »

So you know "lots of folks" w/2 groups in their homes, where do they have them plugged in, next to the washing machine?=:-)

I have one! and a buddy of mine has one..

It's not that big a deal for a low current 240v line..  if you have any dedicated outlet in your kitchen that's 20 amp 120 you could rewire it for 240... using the same wire.  (12 gage).  You have to replace the breaker and outlet (to a 240 v outlet)... but not as big of a deal as it may appear.

Tex

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2010, 12:40:31 PM »

Jake
Reddick Fla.
-- Laurence J. Peter

~~~Tex,  I think you have a short in your brain=:-)  j/k  So you know "lots of folks" w/2 groups in their homes, where do they have them plugged in, next to the washing machine?=:-)

Okay, many homes (in the U.S.) have 220 volts in the kitchen for the stove but the cost to have an electrician to run 220 volts to a counter where the espresso machine could sit, I believe there are some that would go to the expense but why when you can save the money spent on the electrician and spend it on the purchase price of a 110 volt espresso maker

I suppose I'm looking at this 220 volt issue through a jaded lens, since in my own circumstance, to run any uprated power line to the counter top, I have a counter top island with an underground conduit (below concrete)...not an easy or cheap proposition, unless you have a Brother-In-Law that is a Sparky

Now in regards to the 2 group Rimini being the same size (or close) to a one group Rimini, it's still a whopping big espresso maker, I know, I have one, but you knew that=:-)

Anyways, anyone considering buying an HX machine for their home, may be open to the possibility of buying a 220 volt 2 group machine and going through the expense of running an additional *new* power line, and have a monster on the counter top.  Okay, happy now Tex?=:-)

Jake
Reddick Fla.
-- Laurence J. Peter

The 1-group you have would require a dedicated 25 amp 120V line wouldn't it (unless you ran it at less than full power)? The cost of a 120V line is the same as a 220V line, so both would cost the same to install, right?  ;D

It is a BIG machine, in fact so big that a lot of wives won't let their PW'd spouses put the machine in the kitchen. I've even heard of some battered husbands who've had to install their espresso machines in the barn. :o But that's a thread for HT!

Tex

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2010, 12:42:34 PM »

So you know "lots of folks" w/2 groups in their homes, where do they have them plugged in, next to the washing machine?=:-)

It's not that big a deal for a low current 240v line..  if you have any dedicated outlet in your kitchen that's 20 amp 120 you could rewire it for 240... using the same wire.  (12 gage).  You have to replace the breaker and outlet (to a 240 v outlet)... but not as big of a deal as it may appear.

And if you ever get the Belle reassembled you'll have two 2-group machines. Are you going to be permitted to put it in the kitchen or will it be banished to the basement too?

milowebailey

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2010, 12:44:41 PM »

And if you ever get the Belle reassembled you'll have two 2-group machines. Are you going to be permitted to put it in the kitchen or will it be banished to the basement too?

The belle will be in the Kitchen   ;D

unless she who makes the rules, rules otherwise. :angel:

Offline shakin_jake

• Standard User
  • one over the 8th
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2010, 02:26:29 PM »
Tex opined:

[/quote]

The 1-group you have would require a dedicated 25 amp 120V line wouldn't it (unless you ran it at less than full power)?

~~~~No!, more...it's 3K watts, both heating elements wired in series so about a 35 AMP service ix needed, 25 AMPs wouldn't be enough but yes, as you and I have discussed, I can run the boiler with only half the heater output (20 AMP service) and the only drawback there would be in a commercial setting that sells a lot of drinks...in that they would need the ability to heat the 7 litre boiler with both elements.  I have an idea some smaller rests. that don't serve busy lunch lines could get by running a 110 volt Rimini boiler at half power.  I'm sure it's done quite a bit, like the PO I bought  it from had it wired at half capacity (elec power)

The cost of a 120V line is the same as a 220V line, so both would cost the same to install, right?  ;D

~~~I don't know, my electrician would, after pricing them out.  I doubt very much that I would have my sparky wire it up full tilt boogie since I'm only pulling shots for myself and a few guests at a time at most

It is a BIG machine, in fact so big that a lot of wives won't let their PW'd spouses put the machine in the kitchen.

~~~I give up, what's a PW'd spouse?

I've even heard of some battered husbands who've had to install their espresso machines in the barn. :o But that's a thread for HT!

[/quote]

~~~I might have to to install mine in the garage but that's not all bad......wouldn't have as far to go to pull a shot coming from outdoors?=:-)

Jake
Reddick Fla.
-- Laurence J. Peter

Tex

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2010, 12:49:49 PM »

Jake
Reddick Fla.
-- Laurence J. Peter

Just to be clear, I'm guessing about the problem. Ask the seller if it does heat - if it does, there's nothing wrong with the element or circuitry. A machine that does heat but cannot control the heat has a problem with the mechanical pressurestat - easy to adjust or, if need be, cheap and easy to replace.