Author Topic: SC/TO Profiles / Q&A / Tips & Tricks  (Read 116738 times)

Offline ptrmorton

• Standard User
Re: SC/TO Profiles / Q&A / Tips & Tricks
« Reply #720 on: January 28, 2022, 06:20:05 PM »
If you're only going to clean it every once in a long while, you might think about taking it apart.  You can get the glass entirely separate that way, can clean the flaky gunk out of the interior too (believe me, it does build up in there and could lead to bad air circulation and over-heating, then a dead TO).

I'm not exactly sure when I put this roaster into service, but it was at least 9 years ago--I think this would count as 'once in a long while'... I like the idea of getting the glass off and maybe just dropping it in a tub of Cafeiza for a few hours.  The recirc fan in my turbo oven is making some noise, possibly due to gunk, so cleaning that would be prudent.

Do you use a thermometer of any sort?  That would give you a good idea when it's nearing 'yellow' so that you're only lifting once.  Another thought enters my mind; if you're overall profile is sound and you're not racing from drop to 1C then you'll be in the drying phase for a suitable time and transitioning into yellow correctly, and looking won't be absolutely necessary.

I do have two 2mm TCs: one for ET and one for BT.  Both sampled at a 2Hz rate and brought over to Artisan via WiFi using their Modbus interface.  I've been tweeking profiles, trying to get consistent phase percentages, and to get better consistency and RoR curves lately.

I really did NOT want to go here.
I really do NOT want to go here
But HERE we are.

WARNING:  THIS IS DANGEROUS, PROCEED AT YOUR OWN RISK, YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED !!
WHAT YOU DO IS ON  Y O U

For really badly stained trashed glass, Lye works wonders for cutting that crap off.
This is NOT for the feint of hart.  These are industrial strength potentially dangerous chemicals.  If you are not used to working with bad stuff. DO NOT.  do this.
and
I also urge caution when using Lye but a little less alarmist than my friend Aaron. He's the admin though so there's liability to contend with!

I'm thinking I'll try to remove the glass and soak it in various less potent options.  If that fails, I'll move on to the oven cleaner idea and finally, if necessary, to the lye.  It's good to have options.

Thanks again!
Phil
Phil, I used to just use a single edge razor blade to start the cleaning for the glass and then it was pretty straight forward.  At that point, Simple Green is your friend. The fan was usually chafe and gunk and required more elbow grease.  Often compressed air would suffice between servicing for the fan, but you sound ready for the big cleaning! Good luck.

AZ Peter

Proverbs 3:5-6

Offline pwest

• Standard User
« Reply #721 on: January 30, 2022, 01:18:39 PM »
I had forgotten how easy it was to take apart.  I soaked the glass overnight in Cafiza and it cleaned up easily.  The fan and other internals were in surprisingly good shape.  Here are a few pictures:

Glass after cleaning:

Glass after cleaning:

Roaster back in service:

-Phil

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #722 on: January 30, 2022, 02:52:17 PM »
Now that looks mighty purty there.   Easy to clean too, which is good.
Hopefully you get a lot more use out of it.

aaron
As I have grown older, I have learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake!