Author Topic: SC/TO Profiles / Q&A / Tips & Tricks  (Read 119691 times)

Offline Alan

• Standard User
Re: SC/TO Profiles / Q&A / Tips & Tricks
« Reply #330 on: December 14, 2009, 09:48:04 AM »
I picked up a replacement analog top from supentown a year or so ago.  In looking at their site today I noticed that not only do they have a nano-carbon fiber heating top but they have a new model that has a tall skirt to sit over a wok.  That would elmenate the spring form pan completely if it would sit on top of a Stir Crazy or UFO.  The lid dimention is 13.5 inches in diam.   Only problem is they don't sell it as a top only, yet.

Tex

« Reply #331 on: December 14, 2009, 09:59:26 AM »
Anyone used a SO-2002/SO-2007 top long enough to report on it's reliability?

BTW: Here's the cheapest price I found for the SO-2007: http://www.livingincomfort.com/ka30827.html

Caveat emptor!

« Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 10:24:11 AM by Tex »

ButtWhiskers

« Reply #332 on: December 14, 2009, 11:01:28 AM »

BTW: Here's the cheapest price I found for the SO-2007: http://www.livingincomfort.com/ka30827.html

Caveat emptor!

I have not used the SO2007TurboWok personally, but I was told that it did not have as much power as the SO-2000 and SO-2001 by another homeroaster that wasn't too happy with his (that guy used the wok base and a motor instead of a StirCrazy).  I heard the same thing about the SO-2002.  I feel compelled to investigate...

I just ordered the TurboWok from your link.  I found a promo code that gets you $5 off, as well, so it was only $57.90 with shipping.  The promo code is 'WELCOME'
Will report back after this beast shows up.

Tex

« Reply #333 on: December 14, 2009, 11:09:53 AM »

Caveat emptor!

I have not used the SO2007TurboWok personally, but I was told that it did not have as much power as the SO-2000 and SO-2001 by another homeroaster that wasn't too happy with his (that guy used the wok base and a motor instead of a StirCrazy).  I heard the same thing about the SO-2002.  I feel compelled to investigate...

I just ordered the TurboWok from your link.  I found a promo code that gets you $5 off, as well, so it was only $57.90 with shipping.  The promo code is 'WELCOME'

Thanks! ;D If it was underpowered couldn't you use the heater in the Stir Crazy (most folks disconnect it).

Offline dmankin

• Standard User
« Reply #334 on: December 14, 2009, 11:20:46 AM »
...Thanks! ;D If it was underpowered couldn't you use the heater in the Stir Crazy (most folks disconnect it).
Tex - that T/O used in the photo I sent you yesterday (chicken photo) is my backup oven, and it doesn't crank out enough BTUs to roast coffee effectively. If I remember right, it hits 1st crack in 16-18 minutes at full tilt.  My other oven top hits 1st  w/ my UFO rig in 11-13.  Buying these guys used in thrift shops keeps me from knowing element wattage output!

David

Tex

« Reply #335 on: December 14, 2009, 11:41:45 AM »
...Thanks! ;D If it was underpowered couldn't you use the heater in the Stir Crazy (most folks disconnect it).
Tex - that T/O used in the photo I sent you yesterday (chicken photo) is my backup oven, and it doesn't crank out enough BTUs to roast coffee effectively. If I remember right, it hits 1st crack in 16-18 minutes at full tilt.  My other oven top hits 1st  w/ my UFO rig in 11-13.  Buying these guys used in thrift shops keeps me from knowing element wattage output!

David

OK David,
Since I have to turn mine down to 450° to keep from hitting 1st crack too soon, I guess there is a big disparity between top units. BTW: Mine is an off-brand that I picked up on eBay for $27 shipped.

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #336 on: December 14, 2009, 12:01:13 PM »
All I've ever used is used ones from egay, Galloping Gourmets and Decosonics, and they all seem about the same regardless of wattage.  Of the two I currently use, one is 1200W and the other is 1470, but they both roast about the same speed.  A new member, grover, was over here Saturday with a new Sunpentown s-2000.  We didn't time it, but it sure looked to be about the same in its ability to roast.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline dmankin

• Standard User
« Reply #337 on: December 14, 2009, 12:19:04 PM »
... We didn't time it, but it sure looked to be about the same in its ability to roast.
Perhaps its not the model or its specs... maybe my backup oven is just plain crappy!  :BangHead:

ButtWhiskers

« Reply #338 on: December 14, 2009, 01:20:25 PM »
Yeah, every individual oven seems to have it's own quirks, but it seems to me that the two main factors are the area of the vent and how many cubic inches you have created as a roasting area (based on the size of the riser).  I usually use a 2" riser made out of aluminum with about 1/2 square inch vent area.  I tried a 3" riser once but it slowed the roast down too much.  The vent dynamics can also create hot spots inside the roaster.  I had one stir crazy that had a big crack in it that was allowing air to blow out under the riser, and that created a hot spot that resulted in uneven roasts.  When I noticed that, and taped it over with aluminum tape, it went back to normal.

If you frequently blow the oven out with compressed air to remove chaff and dust, it will last a lot longer and work better, too.

Galloping Gourmets always seem to be more durable to me.  The digital Sunpentown (SO-2001) and the Aroma were the two least durable I have used.  I always have a couple of backups laying around, so when an oven starts wussing out after about 800-1000 roasts I usually just shelve it and grab another.  My main Galloping Gourmet that is in use now probably has 1500 roasts under it's belt, and is still blowing hot.

BTW- I never disconnect the SC heater.  It helps dry the beans quicker, and since it only goes up to about 350, it doesn't significantly impact the main developmental parts of the ramp.  With a 20oz or 24oz batch, the water would probably get driven off too slowly without that extra power.

Offline dmankin

• Standard User
« Reply #339 on: December 14, 2009, 01:33:49 PM »
Yeah, every individual oven seems to have it's own quirks, but it seems to me that the two main factors are the area of the vent and how many cubic inches you have created as a roasting area (based on the size of the riser). ...
Another factor that snuck up on me was that some ovens blow clockwise - others blow counterclockwise.  My backup spins the other way, and I have to reverse the spacer ring so the chaff ejector opening is still effective!

Tex

« Reply #340 on: December 14, 2009, 01:47:32 PM »
Yeah, every individual oven seems to have it's own quirks, but it seems to me that the two main factors are the area of the vent and how many cubic inches you have created as a roasting area (based on the size of the riser). ...
Another factor that snuck up on me was that some ovens blow clockwise - others blow counterclockwise.  My backup spins the other way, and I have to reverse the spacer ring so the chaff ejector opening is still effective!

Yeah, I put a TurboCrazy together for a Dr. down the street, who calls me the next Saturday morning - the chaff ejector isn't working for his 2nd batch. I walked down the street, flipped the ring over and walked back out. His jaw was dragging the floor, and now he thinks I'm a genius for figuring out the problem so quickly. ;D

Offline dmankin

• Standard User
« Reply #341 on: December 14, 2009, 01:54:20 PM »
Yeah, I put a TurboCrazy together for a Dr. down the street, who calls me the next Saturday morning - the chaff ejector isn't working for his 2nd batch. I walked down the street, flipped the ring over and walked back out. His jaw was dragging the floor, and now he thinks I'm a genius for figuring out the problem so quickly. ;D

The man does not have his advanced degree in common sense, does he?   :violent1:

Offline grinderz

• Standard User
  • No unjacked threads!
« Reply #342 on: December 14, 2009, 10:01:56 PM »
I went to the Target midway between work and home tonight to snag a StirCrazy... and walked out with raincheck.  >:(
var elvisLives = Math.PI > 4 ? "Yep" : "Nope";

ButtWhiskers

« Reply #343 on: December 18, 2009, 09:48:25 PM »
That was quick - got here in 4 days by UPS from Maryland.  The box only has Japanese writing on it, no English whatsoever...  I'll give this sucker a go first thing in the morning, after I make a shorter riser.  The handles of the stir crazy prevent the oven from sitting down directly on the popper.  I think I have some 3/4" aluminum left from making chaff collectors from Poppery I's.

ButtWhiskers

« Reply #344 on: December 21, 2009, 11:55:07 AM »
Okay, this SO-2007 Wok thingy sucks - at least the shape of it does.  The arc of the lid requires you to remove the handles of the stir crazy or else use such a tall riser that the interior volume is excessive.  Also, the arc of the lid causes the thing to slip around on the riser unless you have Silastic tubing on the riser rim (which I really prefer not to use) for some grippage.  I took an old SC and chopped off the handles, used a 3/4" riser with Silastic high-temp silicone tubing around the rim, and was able to roast a batch in a comparable amount of time with an okay ramp.  The new element heats up in no time flat, and the fans seem to work very efficiently, so I am planning to try swapping the glass lid with one from a different TO to see how well the oven works compared to the old school turbo oven heads on my normal system.