Author Topic: SC/TO Profiles / Q&A / Tips & Tricks  (Read 119634 times)

Tex

Re: SC/TO Profiles / Q&A / Tips & Tricks
« Reply #510 on: April 02, 2012, 07:11:39 PM »
I prefer the bead-end thermocouples because they respond quicker to temp changes. From what I've seen, almost any digital thermometer reads accurately enough - the bigger problem is the thermocouple. I buy mine from http://omega.com and check them using boiling water. If the thermometer is adjustable fine - if not just offset the readout accordingly.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=klqygyh0Nqc

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #511 on: April 02, 2012, 07:15:35 PM »
I prefer the bead-end thermocouples because they respond quicker to temp changes.

But the beans never change temps faster than my fat metal probe can respond to.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Tex

« Reply #512 on: April 02, 2012, 07:18:53 PM »
I prefer the bead-end thermocouples because they respond quicker to temp changes.

Maybe - but why not opt for the faster one, or use an exposed tip probe? I got ~30 roasts from each t/c and they cost ~1/3 of the s/s probes.

Edited: But whichever you use, be sure to verify their accuracy in boiling water before using. Or have the thermometer/thermocouple professionally calibrated.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 07:21:48 PM by Tex »

Offline peter

• Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #513 on: April 02, 2012, 07:34:20 PM »

Maybe - but why not opt for the faster one, or use an exposed tip probe? I got ~30 roasts from each t/c and they cost ~1/3 of the s/s probes.

As opposed to hundreds, if not thousands of roasts w/ a s/s probe that's fast enough.

Gee, this is almost like old times, my Texan friend.   ;D   I remember something about a brass billy goat.   ;)

Offline ScareYourPassenger

• Standard User
  • lever lover

Tex

« Reply #515 on: April 05, 2012, 09:57:55 AM »

JW

« Reply #516 on: April 05, 2012, 11:04:10 AM »
SYP,
I have this one sitting around. I'll send it to you for the shipping cost.
http://www.amazon.com/Cole-Parmer-Remote-Monitoring-Thermocouple-Thermometer-Deg/dp/B003NV2LU0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1333648751&sr=8-2

It does have the bead type K thermocouple though and I know you wanted a solid sheathed probe. Reaction time seems quick.
JW

Offline peter

• Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #517 on: April 05, 2012, 11:39:24 AM »
Would something like this work?

http://www.amazon.com/CDN-Digital-Programmable-Probe-Thermometer/dp/B00046YFHE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1333644471&sr=8-2

That would work fine.  It responds more than quick enough and is a proven performer.

Watch out for the fanboys that say their thermometer is the only one to use.   ;D

Tex, I'm curious about how your probe is mounted to remain in the bean mass.  Is it secured to the bottom unit somehow? 

Tex

« Reply #518 on: April 05, 2012, 12:40:35 PM »
UFO-CO thermocouple placement

I have two groves in the bottom of the spacer that I can use to monitor bean and environmental temps. I use 20 gauge wire t/c's to give them enough spring tension to remain in contact with the top of the beans. I'm actually still using the original t/c, so when I said they last ffor 30 roasts I was joshing - as long as the bead weld isn't damaged I'd expect them to last indefinitely.

Offline ScareYourPassenger

• Standard User
  • lever lover
« Reply #519 on: April 05, 2012, 01:43:05 PM »
SYP,
I have this one sitting around. I'll send it to you for the shipping cost.
http://www.amazon.com/Cole-Parmer-Remote-Monitoring-Thermocouple-Thermometer-Deg/dp/B003NV2LU0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1333648751&sr=8-2

It does have the bead type K thermocouple though and I know you wanted a solid sheathed probe. Reaction time seems quick.
JW

I may take you up on that. Let me try the kitchen model I have in some boiling water to check accuracy first.  I really have a hard time explaining new items showing up lately.

JW

« Reply #520 on: April 05, 2012, 02:26:56 PM »

I may take you up on that. Let me try the kitchen model I have in some boiling water to check accuracy first.  I really have a hard time explaining new items showing up lately.
Me too! And things keep showing up anyway. It's getting tough around here. :D

Tell her it was free and you need it, so how could you say no...

blzrfn

« Reply #521 on: April 25, 2012, 01:13:35 PM »
Well SYP did you get that roaster going yet?

blzrfn

« Reply #522 on: June 29, 2012, 03:17:51 PM »
Yo JDibbs, you roasting all that Ethiopian on a SC/TO or did you go another direction? 

craigbooker

« Reply #523 on: December 30, 2012, 06:27:13 PM »
So, it seems my temp gets up to high too fast on my SCTO. I like a somewhat light roast with the Sidamo. I enjoy the fruity flavors the light roast brings. I have yet to disable the SC heat element, but am guessing that's my next step.
Second question. Is there an advantage to taking more or less time getting to first crack?

Tex

« Reply #524 on: December 31, 2012, 10:19:38 AM »
Besides disconnecting the Stir Crazy heater (or putting the circuit on a toggle switch for really cold weather roasting?), it helps to split the CO fan and heater circuits. I removed the thermostat and have a router speed controller ($20 @ Harbor Freight) managing the heater circuit, while the fan is at full speed 100% of the time.

There's some interesting tips on profiling roasts in this thread, and some more in the roast profiles thread: http://www.greencoffeebuyingclub.com/index.php?topic=10821.msg166385#msg166385
« Last Edit: December 31, 2012, 11:03:23 AM by Tex »