Author Topic: SC/TO Profiles / Q&A / Tips & Tricks  (Read 119573 times)

Tex

Re: SC/TO Profiles, Questions, Tricks, Tips, & Answers
« Reply #165 on: March 10, 2009, 03:14:22 PM »
That's the beauty of the SC/TO; things happen in a relatively slow and even progression, and there's not much that can go wrong.  You'll notice that with the larger bean mass it takes more to get it moving, but you'll also notice that once they do get going they like to keep going.  With that in mind, try to anticipate 1st crack and avoid pouring too much heat into the beans.  While you don't want to stall the roast, it'll be easier to detect the end of 1st and control what happens after.

OK, I think understood what you said but I'm not sure;
  • IT TAKES MORE TO GET IT MOVING? Physically moving or roasting?
  • ANTICIPATE 1ST CRACK? Anticipate silence or time it takes to get to 1st crack?
  • POUR TOO MUCH HEAT INTO THE BEANS? Set the dial too high to start with or scorching the beans?
  • STALL THE ROAST? Too low a temp to keep the roast going past 1st crack?
  • DETECT THE END OF 1ST CRACK? Complete silence or the gradual slowing of 1st crack?

??

SusanJoM

« Reply #166 on: March 10, 2009, 03:30:17 PM »
 ;D   ;D   ;D  j

I did it !!!!
I did it !!!!
I did it !!!!

Okay, so I somehow managed to turn the TO off for a while in the middle.
And so there's a part over on around the handle that doesn't have the chaff thing over it that needs more foil tape.
And
And
And....

But.   I did it !!!!

And I can do it again....and better....

WOOT !!!!!
« Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 03:45:07 PM by SusanJoM »

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
« Reply #167 on: March 10, 2009, 04:18:06 PM »
"its so hard to be brave enough to push the little birdys out of the nest... but it is such joy to see them fly for the first time..."
excerpt from the eagles diary

Way to go!!!!

about the mason jars... I take the one way valves off of coffee bags, drill a hole in the mason jar lid (VERY carefully with a step drill) and put the one way valve in.... (probably a slightly loose lid would work fine if you roast one batch twice a week)

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
  • Roaster: 4# RK Drum
« Reply #168 on: March 10, 2009, 05:16:44 PM »
Way to go SusanJoM!  :D Crongrats on your first roast. Let us know how it tastes. ;D

Tex

« Reply #169 on: March 10, 2009, 07:07:15 PM »
I can quit roasting now - you are going to send those of who helped you some coffee, right? I bet that 1/4# of Indian Robusta I sent you would be good mixed in with those beans.

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #170 on: March 10, 2009, 07:49:30 PM »
That's the beauty of the SC/TO; things happen in a relatively slow and even progression, and there's not much that can go wrong.  You'll notice that with the larger bean mass it takes more to get it moving, but you'll also notice that once they do get going they like to keep going.  With that in mind, try to anticipate 1st crack and avoid pouring too much heat into the beans.  While you don't want to stall the roast, it'll be easier to detect the end of 1st and control what happens after.

OK, I think understood what you said but I'm not sure;

IT TAKES MORE TO GET IT MOVING? Physically moving or roasting?

Well, both.  But I meant roasting.  It's like there's some 'inertia' and the larger bean mass takes more energy to get the temps to rise.

ANTICIPATE 1ST CRACK? Anticipate silence or time it takes to get to 1st crack?

I watch temps, but the smell and the early-bird snaps signal the onset of 1st crack too.

POUR TOO MUCH HEAT INTO THE BEANS? Set the dial too high to start with or scorching the beans?

As you know, with the TO, the heat is either on or off.  After letting the roast coast around 350F for a few minutes (a tip from BW, for caramelization of sugars and sweetness) I turn the heat on to head for 1st.  But I like to modulate the heat as it nears and enters 1st, turning it off, then on, at least once to let some of the latent heat that built up in the beans on the way to 1st work its way out, so that the event of 1st crack is more controlled.  As Glacier taught me years back, this is especially important with decafs.

STALL THE ROAST? Too low a temp to keep the roast going past 1st crack?

Too low a temp to keep 1st occuring.  While the beans are being exothermic and giving off heat during 1st, they need to be fed enough heat to keep the process going, so that the crucial chemical changes in the bean continue.

DETECT THE END OF 1ST CRACK? Complete silence or the gradual slowing of 1st crack?
That is the unanswerable question.  Beans vary so much; sometimes 1st ends very clearly and there's silence; and other times there's a minute or two of outliers.  But I'd call 1st over when the majority of snaps is done, calling the time of the outliers part of the City+ segment.

Either way, the whole reason I try to keep from flying into 1st crack is so that 1st is a controlled event, and whatever the temp is when 1st is winding down can be maintained and slowly increased for a couple minutes.  I feel there's some good flavor and body development happening in the 3 minutes after 1st if the temps are only slightly increased (maybe 4-7 degrees) without letting the roast characteristics of a FC or FC+ start encroaching on the origin characteristics of the beans.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 07:54:10 PM by peter »
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

SusanJoM

« Reply #171 on: March 10, 2009, 07:58:34 PM »
Okay, here's a question:  is every bean in the batch going to crack during "first crack" and then again during "second crack"?  I know I heard some good solid snaps and cracks and then later heard something a lot more like rice krispies crackling, but there sure weren't anywhere near enough cracks of the first sort to account for all those beans in there......

Susan

Offline dmankin

• Standard User
« Reply #172 on: March 10, 2009, 08:01:42 PM »
;D   ;D   ;D  j

I did it !!!!
I did it !!!!
I did it !!!!

AWESOME, SUSAN!!!
 :wav: :wav: :wav:

Can't wait to hear how they taste!!!

Proud of you.

David

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #173 on: March 10, 2009, 08:02:41 PM »
Okay, here's a question:  is every bean in the batch going to crack during "first crack" and then again during "second crack"?  I know I heard some good solid snaps and cracks and then later heard something a lot more like rice krispies crackling, but there sure weren't anywhere near enough cracks of the first sort to account for all those beans in there......

Susan

That's a good question, to which I can only guess.  I'd say that every bean goes through the same process during 1st, but don't think every bean signals that process with an audible snap.

With regard to 2nd, I don't want to find out, 'cuz by the time every bean crackles we'd be at the end of French, and that's against my religion.

Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline dmankin

• Standard User
« Reply #174 on: March 10, 2009, 08:07:55 PM »
Okay, here's a question:  is every bean in the batch going to crack during "first crack" and then again during "second crack"? 

Every bean variety will behave differently.  Some roasts have explosive, loud & lengthy 1st crack, and others are gently & don't seem to give enough audible bang to account for the load.  Sometimes 1st will sound almost like popcorn, and others will sound more like a classic 2nd (crackle).  Sometimes 1st rolls right in to 2nd, other times you can coax a nice 3-5 minute pause in between the last of 1st & the start of 2nd.  you will learn the smell of 1st & 2nd crack too - and when you hit 2nd, the quality of smoke changes visually too.

Have fun exploring!  Nice to NOT have the IR2's fan screaming through the process, no?

SusanJoM

« Reply #175 on: March 10, 2009, 08:12:22 PM »
Y'all should take very big bows.
If you hadn't given me all the pointers,
loaned me bits,
sent me parts,
insulted me,
nudged me,
flattered me,
and generally included me....

I'd never have gotten this far....

And here I am......at the beginning of another journey....

Whoopee.....

Tex

« Reply #176 on: March 10, 2009, 08:14:51 PM »

And here I am......at the beginning of another journey....

Whoopee.....

And you finished a project! That's fantastic Gal - now get back to work on the PID for the Gaggia Coffee.  ;)

ButtWhiskers

« Reply #177 on: March 10, 2009, 09:14:48 PM »

Susan
The first crack is the sound of the seam splitting as the bean expands.  Most beans will do this, although there are a few reasons that they won't.  Sometimes decaf beans went through so much turmoil in the decaffeination process that they won't make noise for the first crack.  Some really tiny beans (Maui Moka, Yirg Peaberry) will not make a sound at first crack.  Also, if the ramp is really slow you may not get much of an audible first crack as the expansion that causes the seam separation will occur too gradually.  Frequently, if you are able to do that, it means that you did very well with the gradual ramp through the caramelization range, and you will have sweet coffee (this has been my experience anyway, YMMV).

The second crack, which as you mention is much quieter, and is the sound of small pieces of the bean blowing off, leaving tiny 'pits' in the bean surface.  Some beans will undergo this more than once, so you may get a lot more snaps in the second crack than in the first. 

SusanJoM

« Reply #178 on: March 11, 2009, 07:38:23 AM »
Thanks for the information.
That first batch was some of Stubbie's Brazil Moreninha.
It should probably rest another day, but....more probably I will try some this morning.

Hmmmm.....1-cup pourover?  Yama?  my newly arrived used KMB?
Decisions, decisions, decisions.....

:-)))))

Susan

Offline dmankin

• Standard User
« Reply #179 on: March 11, 2009, 07:49:53 AM »
Hmmmm.....1-cup pourover?  Yama?  my newly arrived used KMB?
Decisions, decisions, decisions.....

:-)))))

Susan

I recommend HYPER-CAFFIENATION!  The morning Tri-fecta.

Enjoy the buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz