Author Topic: SC/TO Profiles / Q&A / Tips & Tricks  (Read 119558 times)

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
Re: SC/TO Profiles, Questions, Tricks, Tips, & Answers
« Reply #270 on: May 25, 2009, 02:31:21 PM »
Susan...

You are learning from the same mistakes I made.  My bottom units both have a couple holes.  On one unit, I had the right size bolt to thread into the hole, with the end of the bolt being flush with the hole in the SC- a good solution as long as I remember that the bolt gets danged hot while roasting.  The other unit has a more simple solution- there's a roasted bean lodged in the hole - that works well, except that there must be 20-some beans floating around in the SC, rattling every time I tip it over to dump, reminding me to put my dunce hat on.

Try a screw or a bolt, from the outside.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

SusanJoM

« Reply #271 on: May 25, 2009, 02:57:41 PM »
Susan...

You are learning from the same mistakes I made.  My bottom units both have a couple holes.  On one unit, I had the right size bolt to thread into the hole, with the end of the bolt being flush with the hole in the SC- a good solution as long as I remember that the bolt gets danged hot while roasting.  The other unit has a more simple solution- there's a roasted bean lodged in the hole - that works well, except that there must be 20-some beans floating around in the SC, rattling every time I tip it over to dump, reminding me to put my dunce hat on.

Try a screw or a bolt, from the outside.

Actually a carriage bolt with the head on the inside looks like it's gonna work.  Excellent suggestion.
It's waaaaay too long, but I can get a shorter one when the holiday is over....
And hopefully I won't grab it !!!!!

Thank You !!!!

Offline peter

• Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #272 on: May 25, 2009, 03:03:18 PM »
I love it when the dumb things I do get to help someone else.  It makes it all worthwhile, and makes me want to do more dumb stuff.   :D

SusanJoM

« Reply #273 on: May 25, 2009, 03:12:52 PM »
I love it when the dumb things I do get to help someone else.  It makes it all worthwhile, and makes me want to do more dumb stuff.   :D

Hey, I can use lots of help, so ....
go do more dumb things....
don't hold back :-)))))

Susan

SusanJoM

« Reply #274 on: May 27, 2009, 12:01:12 PM »
So, my first roast today -- using the floating probe -- went way too fast.  Beans look very nice, but really it was up into the 400 range in 2-3 minutes.  So, for the second, I turned off the UFO heater as soon as I poured the beans into the pre-heated roaster.  It was looking good, but the probe knocked the whirly arm off and rotation stopped, so I had to abort the roast.

I had been floating the probe through the gap in the spacer ring, but I guess that just gives it too much leeway.  As soon as it all cools down a bit I'll get out the dremel and make a slot for the probe..... Yeah, right, I was 'sposed to do that anyway, but....I do tend to learn the hard way.   As my friend, Dan, likes to say:  "There's never time to do it right; there's always time to do it over...." Sigh.....

SusanJoM

« Reply #275 on: June 11, 2009, 12:18:40 PM »
The arms on my UFO go both ways.  They start out rotating counterclockwise, but the minute a bean gives a bit of resistance, they just switch directions and go the other way for a while. 

This causes minor grief because half the time the chaff is being thrown in the wrong direction.

It causes more significant grief because when it reverses, the probe (which has been bumping along happily on top of the arms as they go by) suddenly ends up underneath the arms when they come back the other way, and it gets dragged all over the place and out of the bean mass.

Does anyone/everyone else's do this?

Gotta solution?

I'm off to buy a 1/8" drill bit to go back to trying to put the probe into a fixed horizontal position .... which would alleviate the second issue.

Susan

Offline peter

• Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #276 on: June 11, 2009, 12:24:39 PM »
Some are more sensitive to reversing than others.  Mine never do. 

I would say the chaff flying is more a function of the TO circulation, and that the stirring arms have little to do with chaff.

Lesson to be learned:  don't listen to Tex when he says get a UFO, listen to the sages who say get SC.

Tex

« Reply #277 on: June 11, 2009, 12:32:25 PM »

I would say the chaff flying is more a function of the TO circulation, and that the stirring arms have little to do with chaff.

Lesson to be learned:  don't listen to Tex when he says get a UFO, listen to the sages who say get SC.

Isn't that a dried up ol' weed, best used on turkeys & gamey meat?  ;D

SusanJoM

« Reply #278 on: June 11, 2009, 12:44:42 PM »

Well, I knew Tex and David Mankin long before I met youse guys, and I probably even bought the UFO just before I met all you SC types, so.....now that I have it I'm vaguely stuck with it......

Tex did tell me not so long ago to try to remember that he lies as necessary;  I've tried to factor it into my life, but....I'm getting old and I forget....

Susan

Tex

« Reply #279 on: June 11, 2009, 01:09:51 PM »

Well, I knew Tex and David Mankin long before I met youse guys, and I probably even bought the UFO just before I met all you SC types, so.....now that I have it I'm vaguely stuck with it......

Tex did tell me not so long ago to try to remember that he lies as necessary;  I've tried to factor it into my life, but....I'm getting old and I forget....

Susan

No, No, No! I'm pretty sure I told you I was a sporting liar, one who lies for the fun of it; as opposed to a compulsive liar, one who lies because he can't help it.  ;)

Of course, I may not be telling the whole truth about that either! ;D

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #280 on: June 11, 2009, 01:14:05 PM »
No, No, No! I'm pretty sure I told you I was a sporting liar, one who lies for the fun of it; as opposed to a compulsive liar, one who lies because he can't help it.  ;)

If I didn't know any better I'd have to say that sounds like a lie.

:-X
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

SusanJoM

« Reply #281 on: June 11, 2009, 01:19:03 PM »

Nah, at the time you didn't make those distinctions, but since we're on the subject, 
I would suggest "compulsive sporting liar"....:-)))))

Susan

Tex

« Reply #282 on: June 11, 2009, 01:19:59 PM »

If I didn't know any better I'd have to say that sounds like a lie.

:-X

Two obvious comments come to mind;
1) Who the hell said you knew any better? ???
2) It takes one to know one!  :P

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #283 on: June 11, 2009, 02:48:45 PM »
Two obvious comments come to mind;
1) Who the hell said you knew any better? ???
2) It takes one to know one!  :P

1) Certainly not I.
2) Me ... I never lie.

:angel:
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

ButtWhiskers

« Reply #284 on: June 11, 2009, 03:01:46 PM »

UFO's are hypersensitive compared to SC's.   I've only had two of them, but I certainly won't be getting any more...  Even the Hello Kitty has more TF than the UFO.

The motor direction and orientation of the vanes on the oven give the chaff it's momentum.  I have 2 ovens that blow counterclockwise, the rest of them blow clockwise.  I have to invert my riser so that the chute points the right way if I use a CCW-blowing oven so that the chaff gets ejected correctly.