Author Topic: SC/TO Profiles / Q&A / Tips & Tricks  (Read 119633 times)

SusanJoM

Re: SC/TO Profiles, Questions, Tricks, Tips, & Answers
« Reply #285 on: June 11, 2009, 03:47:48 PM »
Okay, then, if anyone happens to see an SC available somewhere....lemme know (if I understand correctly they are no longer available new????).  No harm in having one of each.....My TO should go with either one....

Although I'll have to read 70049 posts again to figure out what the vagaries are of the SC compared to the UFO....

Ouch !!!! 
And, of course you know who will have to answer all my questions  -- again....

Susan

Tex

« Reply #286 on: June 11, 2009, 03:53:22 PM »
Okay, then, if anyone happens to see an SC available somewhere....lemme know (if I understand correctly they are no longer available new????).  No harm in having one of each.....My TO should go with either one....

Although I'll have to read 70049 posts again to figure out what the vagaries are of the SC compared to the UFO....

Ouch !!!! 
And, of course you know who will have to answer all my questions  -- again....

Susan

And then someone can fashion another riser for you.  :D

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #287 on: June 11, 2009, 04:09:11 PM »

Susan

Why would you think that Susan?  You can get one here, or here, or here for starters.

:)
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

SusanJoM

« Reply #288 on: June 11, 2009, 04:29:54 PM »
Why would you think that Susan? 

Ooops....and Susan gets the booby prize again.....
:-((((((

SusanJoM

« Reply #289 on: June 11, 2009, 04:37:16 PM »
And then someone can fashion another riser for you.  :D

They have different circumferences?
Oh dear, that is a very serious deal breaker....

Unless, of course, one of my 4-5 rejects from the first go-round fit????
 ;D   ;D   ;D

Susan

Tex

« Reply #290 on: June 11, 2009, 04:52:12 PM »
Or maybe some kind soul will make another one for you?

Offline mp

• Standard User
« Reply #291 on: June 11, 2009, 08:40:35 PM »

;D   ;D   ;D

Susan

Yeah ... they have the 4 quart and 6 quart sizes ... what size do you need?

lp, 7-Ski

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #292 on: June 11, 2009, 09:00:36 PM »

;D   ;D   ;D

Susan

Yeah ... they have the 4 quart and 6 quart sizes ... what size do you need?

Robert and Susan were referring to the different circumferences of the SC and the UFO.

While the SC's come in two sizes, the base is the same in either one.

I volunteer Tex for the new spacer, should Susan need one down the road.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline mp

• Standard User
« Reply #293 on: June 11, 2009, 09:15:56 PM »
Robert and Susan were referring to the different circumferences of the SC and the UFO.

While the SC's come in two sizes, the base is the same in either one.

I volunteer Tex for the new spacer, should Susan need one down the road.

Oh ... I see. 

Yeah ... I second that nomination.

;D
lp, 7-Ski

SusanJoM

« Reply #294 on: June 12, 2009, 07:01:23 AM »
Well, to put this line of speculation to rest, my UFO is staying !!!!  And won't be upstaged by an SC anytime soon.  The 1/8" metal drill bit (with a slight bit of extra circumfrential reaming) made the perfect horizontal, level hole to hold the probe just above the stirring arms.  (Okay, one arm bumps just very slightly as it goes underneath, but not enough to stop it.)

If/as/when my UFO takes a powder, I will revisit the pros and cons of the two different popper bases.  For now I'm finally getting the hang of it.  

Yesterday I set the TO at 410 with the UFO heater on until the probe read 200.  Then I poured the beans in, turned the TO UFO off (edit:  oops, I didn't turn the TO off, I turned the UFO off), and sailed smoothly up to 300 in 4 1/2 minutes (158, 185, 204, 233, 248, 266, 294, 298).  From there to FC1C (edit:  First Crack should be written 1C) took another 6 minutes (323, 323, 330, 338, 348, 359, 359, 374, 384, 395, 402).  And I dumped the roast 2 1/2 minutes later (410, 413, 420, 420, 435).

I was using BW's "test beans", but I was really happy to see that starting with the lower "charge" temp made a huge difference, and I think I am finally on the way towards ..... home roasted nirvanha !!!   or at least towards beans I don't have to throw away !!!!

Susan
« Last Edit: June 12, 2009, 03:47:18 PM by SusanJoM »

Offline peter

• Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #295 on: June 12, 2009, 09:21:58 AM »
Yesterday I set the TO at 410 with the UFO heater on until the probe read 200.  Then I poured the beans in, turned the TO off, and sailed smoothly up to 300 in 4 1/2 minutes (158, 185, 204, 233, 248, 266, 294, 298).  From there to FC took another 6 minutes (323, 323, 330, 338, 348, 359, 359, 374, 384, 395, 402).  And I dumped the roast 2 1/2 minutes later (410, 413, 420, 420, 435).
Susan

Not to be a nit-picker... (I would pick 'em, if I ever came across them nits)

It looks like the UFO did a respectable job of providing the heat, but if you ever wanted to roast to a profile you'd want to turn the UFO heat off and leave the TO as the heat source.

There are some benefits to letting the roast hover around 350F for a few minutes, as an example.

And the last nit...  I'm guessing you wrote 'FC' to mean First Crack, yes?  It would be more standard if you wrote 1st, or 1C, since FC is generally meant to be Full City.

Apart from all that, I/we are rejoicing in your HUGE success!  Bravo!

Stubbie

« Reply #296 on: June 12, 2009, 09:28:27 AM »

It looks like the UFO did a respectable job of providing the heat, but if you ever wanted to roast to a profile you'd want to turn the UFO heat off and leave the TO as the heat source.

I'm guessing she meant that she turned the heat off of the UFO(SC) instead of the TO...

-Stubbie

Offline peter

• Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #297 on: June 12, 2009, 09:29:53 AM »

I'm guessing she meant that she turned the heat off of the UFO(SC) instead of the TO...

-Stubbie

Me too, just wanted to be sure.

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
« Reply #298 on: June 12, 2009, 11:30:16 AM »
Well, to put this line of speculation to rest, my UFO is staying !!!!  And won't be upstaged by an SC anytime soon.  The 1/8" metal drill bit (with a slight bit of extra circumfrential reaming) made the perfect horizontal, level hole to hold the probe just above the stirring arms.  (Okay, one arm bumps just very slightly as it goes underneath, but not enough to stop it.)

If/as/when my UFO takes a powder, I will revisit the pros and cons of the two different popper bases.  For now I'm finally getting the hang of it. 

Yesterday I set the TO at 410 with the UFO heater on until the probe read 200.  Then I poured the beans in, turned the TO off, and sailed smoothly up to 300 in 4 1/2 minutes (158, 185, 204, 233, 248, 266, 294, 298).  From there to FC took another 6 minutes (323, 323, 330, 338, 348, 359, 359, 374, 384, 395, 402).  And I dumped the roast 2 1/2 minutes later (410, 413, 420, 420, 435).

I was using BW's "test beans", but I was really happy to see that starting with the lower "charge" temp made a huge difference, and I think I am finally on the way towards ..... home roasted nirvanha !!!   or at least towards beans I don't have to throw away !!!!

Susan

(image in my mind of espresso monkeys picking nits out of each others hair  :-X

be aware that your temperatures may be different with the new probe location... it is not as deep in the bean mass now... this is not a problem just something you have to adjust for.. probably your temps will be a little lower but I am not sure  ;)

SusanJoM

« Reply #299 on: June 12, 2009, 03:39:25 PM »
-Stubbie

Absotolutely  !!!!

Thanks Stubbie for reading what is left of my mind instead of what I wrote....

Susan