Author Topic: SC/TO Profiles / Q&A / Tips & Tricks  (Read 119564 times)

Offline Sigr

• Standard User
  • "It wasn't out of date til I bought it."
Re: SC/TO Profiles, Questions, Tricks, Tips, & Answers
« Reply #300 on: June 12, 2009, 05:39:46 PM »
Susan roasting just got easy
« Last Edit: June 12, 2009, 05:51:27 PM by Sigr »
Hints of wood and smoke linger in the air

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
« Reply #301 on: June 13, 2009, 05:39:27 AM »
last night I roasted with my temp probe just over the bean stir rods.. (12 oz batch) the temps ran hotter?? so I guess it was reacting to the TO heat faster.. the roast went as usual but all my temp land marks were at higher temps (caramel zone, 1stCrack) I could smell and see by the smoke where the roast was.. temps were just a little higher

second batch I  did with the temp probe in the bean mass... forgot to turn the heat down.. hit 300 in 3:14 used the handle on the TO (30 seconds off 30 seconds on) to slow the roast down between 350 and 375... used the handle again when 1C started getting strong (when the temp levels off or 1C ends turn it back on) then I roasted for 2 min keeping it under 335 (target 330) and that made for a nice profile (I think) (I hope)  ???

SusanJoM

« Reply #302 on: June 13, 2009, 07:34:46 AM »
last night I roasted with my temp probe just over the bean stir rods.. (12 oz batch) the temps ran hotter?? so I guess it was reacting to the TO heat faster.. the roast went as usual but all my temp land marks were at higher temps (caramel zone, 1stCrack) I could smell and see by the smoke where the roast was.. temps were just a little higher

So, at what temperature markers did you get 1C doing it that way?  And what did you get when you put it more directly into the bean mass?

I'm thinking that the current placement of my probe will work just fine as long as I keep in mind that it is a temperature in the process and relative to the temperatures in that place before and after.....rather than an absolute temperature that I can necessarily compare to or relate to anyone else's machine and method.  Until I anchored it in that spot it was always being dislodged and skittering about, and then I had no faith whatsoever in the readings.  Now at least I see that the beans are almost always in contact with it, if not completely immersed in it, and the temp appeared to rise in a fashion that seemed unrelated to the air coming from the TO (since it didn't vary in a way that might have been related to the fan cycling ....or?).  AND, I don't have to have a hand free to mess with it if/as/when it gets tangled or tweaked.  I see no way it could be deeper into the bean mass and still in a fixed place, (unless I were to drill up into the bottom of the UFO and thread a thermocouple rather than a probe ....)

For grins, later today I will play with the same settings with a larger (maybe 12 oz and 16 oz) of beans just to see how the temps compare.

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #303 on: June 13, 2009, 07:55:59 AM »
For grins, later today I will play with the same settings with a larger (maybe 12 oz and 16 oz) of beans just to see how the temps compare.

You will be able to use might consider expeirimenting with more bottom heat with 12oz batches.
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

SusanJoM

« Reply #304 on: June 13, 2009, 08:03:08 AM »

You will be able to use might consider expeirimenting with more bottom heat with 12oz batches.

Okay, here's the plan:  12 oz with and without bottom heat and then 16 oz with and without bottom heat.  But FIRST I have to clean the house, so......don't be too impatient to read the results:-)))))))

Susan

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #305 on: June 13, 2009, 08:12:42 AM »
Okay, here's the plan:  12 oz with and without bottom heat and then 16 oz with and without bottom heat.  But FIRST I have to clean the house, so......don't be too impatient to read the results:-)))))))

The above lends itself perfectly to using batch size and heat control to profile and control the roast exactly the way you choose.....the individual results are less important now and take care of themselves from here. So clean away....I already know what's going to happen anyhow.   ;D

"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

SusanJoM

« Reply #306 on: June 13, 2009, 08:16:36 AM »
So clean away....

Dang, I was soooooo hoping you'd talk me out of that..... ;D

Susan

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #307 on: June 13, 2009, 08:23:52 AM »
I find that with 16oz. batches, the outside beans roast faster than those toward the center of the SC, because that's where the hot air first comes out of the TO.  14oz. and under works best.

Also, it will help to determine what temp your bottom unit thermostat kicks in and out.  Most of them will not come on over 400F.  And while they're still in operating range, they can be a real nuisance as they come on when you're trying to hold a temp.  Having two thermostats to contend with is a PITA.

The easiest way to tell if your temp probe is in the bean mass is to see how quickly the temps rise when you turn the top heat on; if it takes a couple minutes to start responding that's good, and if it responds quickly you know it's in the airstream.

Cleaning the house?  Are you kidding me?  I'll let the maid take care of that.  I expect to be in a good enough financial position to hire one by this time next year.   ;D
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

SusanJoM

« Reply #308 on: June 13, 2009, 08:32:41 AM »
Okay....forget the 12 and 16 ounce roasts with and without bottom heat....
You guys already know what you need to know and I'm never gonna need to roast 16 ounces....

And....now I'm just procrastinating....

Susan

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
  • Roaster: 4# RK Drum
« Reply #309 on: June 13, 2009, 08:45:42 AM »
14oz. and under works best.

14oz is the sweet spot on my Stir Crazy/Galloping Gourmet setup. No bottom heat.

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #310 on: June 13, 2009, 09:35:55 AM »
Okay....forget the 12 and 16 ounce roasts with and without bottom heat....
You guys already know what you need to know and I'm never gonna need to roast 16 ounces....

And....now I'm just procrastinating....

Oh man.....just when it was going good you pulled the plug.  :(

16oz is prob pushing it and you would have had to use a lot of heat but as headchange just noted 14oz (no bottom heat) is the best batch size for his set up and 12oz (with bottom heat) happens to be the best for mine. These are all different units, line voltage, ambient conditions, etc..etc..

Yours you were just about to start testing to find out/learn about...... ???

On a good note it sounded like you were SUPER happy with some of the last profiles you tried where the cup had no detectable defects so as always it comes to what winds up in the cup and if we are happy with it.  :angel:

Lee Morrison

SusanJoM

« Reply #311 on: June 13, 2009, 10:06:58 AM »
Oh man.....just when it was going good you pulled the plug.  :(

Nope, I miscommunicated....
What I'm not going to do is EXACTLY those four roasts I suggested earlier.
No way am I gonna stop practicing and figuring out and telling you what I'm doing....
That wouldn't be any fun at all.....

Susan

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
« Reply #312 on: June 13, 2009, 10:36:27 AM »

So, at what temperature markers did you get 1C doing it that way?  And what did you get when you put it more directly into the bean mass?

I'm thinking that the current placement of my probe will work just fine as long as I keep in mind that it is a temperature in the process and relative to the temperatures in that place before and after.....rather than an absolute temperature that I can necessarily compare to or relate to anyone else's machine and method.  Until I anchored it in that spot it was always being dislodged and skittering about, and then I had no faith whatsoever in the readings.  Now at least I see that the beans are almost always in contact with it, if not completely immersed in it, and the temp appeared to rise in a fashion that seemed unrelated to the air coming from the TO (since it didn't vary in a way that might have been related to the fan cycling ....or?).  AND, I don't have to have a hand free to mess with it if/as/when it gets tangled or tweaked.  I see no way it could be deeper into the bean mass and still in a fixed place, (unless I were to drill up into the bottom of the UFO and thread a thermocouple rather than a probe ....)

I don't remember  :-X

my usual placement (dancing on the bottom of the SC) 1C is about 400 (depending on bean, ambient temp, humidity, Murphy's law) the high probe was a little higher turnaround when I dumped it in.. (usually drops to the mid-low 200 before it climbs up) it turned around at 260 or 270... 1C was probably close to 410...

My point is the numbers change and you have to learn what temp relates to what stage of roast... around 340 to 350 you can smell the sweet change that I believe is the start of caramel zone... and 1C is obvious... and 2C seems to be elusive as far as temp is concerned..

sorry I am disjointed in my thoughts.. we are redoing our kitchen... out of desperation and with no $$   :P

Offline anastasio

• Standard User
  • Home roasting since 2008
Re: SC/TO Profiles / Q&A / Tips & Tricks
« Reply #313 on: July 28, 2009, 06:47:44 PM »
Chaff Ejector

I just finished the chaff ejection for my first SC-TO and thought that I'd share some pictures.
In my aluminum spacer, I cut a rectangular hole and pop riveted a piece of spring steel over it from the inside to act like a door. With this design, I can leave the door closed to keep the temperature up, and occasionally poke it open with a wooden dowel (or stick) when I see chaff flying around.

After two test roasts, it works better than I expected. Some of the chaff gets stuck between the door and the frame, but I found that tapping the door open and closed a few times helps clear it. I might try to capture a short video if there is any interest.

Also, for my stirring rods, I added small 1" or less pieces of 1/4" copper tubing and crimped small pieces on the ends to keep them from coming off. Very easy to install and works better than I expected.

My only problem right now is a couple of beans always seem to get lodged under the cap that holds the stirring rod, so it looks like I will need to add a large washer or spacer.

You may notice that I did remove the Teflon coating on the SC. I then seasoned it in a toaster oven (coated with cooking oil and baked at 300 F).

So far, I am very happy with the roaster and plan to build a cabinet in the basement to allow me to continue to roast during the winter!

See the attached pictures of the door.

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
Re: SC/TO Profiles / Q&A / Tips & Tricks
« Reply #314 on: July 28, 2009, 06:53:07 PM »
Nice job grasshopper!
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you