Author Topic: Artigiano 2.5 # shop roaster/Ebay  (Read 8039 times)

Offline 4thJohn

• Standard User
  • Psalms 118:8
Artigiano 2.5 # shop roaster/Ebay
« on: March 27, 2009, 07:02:07 PM »
Pull shots left handed.    Is that like getting a little 'strange' in your coffee cup... 

Aaron

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
Re: Artigiano 2.5 # shop roaster/Ebay
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2009, 07:40:30 PM »
Scammer-alert!
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline 7over

• Standard User
  • I'd rather fight, than switch!
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2009, 08:41:18 PM »
Peter,
Other than the fact that the seller does not seem to have ever sold anything on ebay before this item...And they just joined ebay ... today... I'm curious about your judgement that this must be a scam. Can you give any other evidence?  ;D

See you tomorrow.
Passion + Purpose. It's a beautiful thing.

Offline kelppaddy

• Standard User
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2009, 08:46:48 PM »
Shipping and handling for $25?  ?????????

kp

Offline peter

• Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2009, 09:22:38 PM »
Peter,
Other than the fact that the seller does not seem to have ever sold anything on ebay before this item...And they just joined ebay ... today... I'm curious about your judgement that this must be a scam. Can you give any other evidence?  ;D

See you tomorrow.

Ya got to get up pretty early in the mornin' to pull one over on us guys.   8)

Offline kelppaddy

• Standard User
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2009, 06:44:20 AM »
Hmmmm, it does end on April Fool's Day.   ;)

kp

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2009, 07:31:53 AM »
Shipping and handling for $25?  ?????????

kp

Good question kelppaddy ... 92 pounds shipped for $25.  On the other hand most people won't spring for a $1500.00 roaster.  You may get a bargain at that price for a 2.5 kilo roaster.

Any takers?

:)
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

Offline peter

• Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2009, 08:32:35 AM »
I'll make you a sweet deal mp; you buy it, and then I'll buy it from you at twice the price.

I also like how the pics are obviously taken from the web.

Offline mp

• Standard User
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2009, 09:26:15 AM »
I'll make you a sweet deal mp; you buy it, and then I'll buy it from you at twice the price.

I also like how the pics are obviously taken from the web.

To be honest Peter ... it would be overkill for my coffee consumption habits.  I wouldn't buy it even if it was only 2 hundred bucks.

So you figure this guy is a sheister eh?

lp, 7-Ski

Tex

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2009, 09:54:38 AM »
Scammer-alert!

you've nothing to lose by bidding on it! PayPal protects the buyer very well, and if it doesn't show up on your doorstep you've lost nothing.
  • Worst case scenario: Your money is tied up in the dispute process for a month.
  • Best case scenario: You get a decent 5 pound roaster on the cheap.

jspain

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2009, 10:28:58 AM »
I just sent the seller several questions to answer.... I'll let you know if I get a response. I volunteered to come see the unit. Jim

Offline mp

• Standard User
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2009, 10:33:12 AM »
I just sent the seller several questions to answer.... I'll let you know if I get a response. I volunteered to come see the unit. Jim

Yeah ... I would be interested to see the result of that!

lp, 7-Ski

Stubbie

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2009, 10:36:28 AM »
If you can get it for $1500 - it's worth it.  I wouldn't sell my well used one for that price. :)

-Stubbie

ButtWhiskers

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2009, 10:40:39 AM »
Scammer-alert!

you've nothing to lose by bidding on it! PayPal protects the buyer very well, and if it doesn't show up on your doorstep you've lost nothing.
  • Worst case scenario: Your money is tied up in the dispute process for a month.
  • Best case scenario: You get a decent 5 pound roaster on the cheap.

Worst case scenario: Your money is tied up in the dispute process for 4 months, then they close the dispute on a technicality.  BELIEVE ME, I have been through this...

One of their tricks is to get you to make an additional payment, for 'insurance' or 'additional packaging' or something.  If you make two payments for one shipment, buyer protection is VOIDED.  Note that on this particular auction, there is an optional cart.  If you make a second payment, that could be used to trigger the 'two payments' clause.

A savvy scammer will send you something with tracking/signature, and then use that number to contest it, and say that you are scamming them.  During the entire period of the dispute, there are lots of hoops to jump through, and if you inadvertently miss one, you might find yourself screwed, blued, and tattooed.

Even if you used a credit card, you risk having PayPal freeze your account if you reverse the charges before they have closed the dispute, or put a sudden hold on funds (that may have a cascading effect).

As peter inferred, if something looks too good to be true, it probably is.   Folks don't just appear on eBay with such an auction immediately upon registering, unless they have been out there before, and don't have their original account for some reason...   ::)

An additional note:  the return policy is 'not specified'.  That means that the guy could send you pieces and parts of this roaster, or even a poster of it, then when you complain he could have you return it at your expense for a refund minus shipping and a restocking fee.  This is another scam that gets used, because if the seller agrees to a refund, then the onus is on you to return the item, have him sign for it, and then if you have done everything properly you can still be dinged with fees (PayPal allows this).  15% of $1500 is $225 - so there is a pretty significant risk here...

Tex

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2009, 11:06:21 AM »
I guess most folks would've been suspicious of the brand-new, nearly-complete Sonofresco I got for $225? A calculated risk can pay off big-time, but it's always a risk -   Not for the weak of heart! 

« Last Edit: March 28, 2009, 12:10:55 PM by Tex »