Author Topic: Espresso machine advice  (Read 1260 times)

Offline shep

• Standard User
Espresso machine advice
« on: March 31, 2009, 02:39:50 AM »
I thought I posted this yesterday but can't find it, so if this is a duplicate post, sorry! A friend has earned an espresso machine through her job. Her choices are a Breville (don't know the model) or a Delonghi Magnifica (don't know the specific model). She is not a coffee geek by any means. Anyone have any experience with these two machines?

Shep
Vagabond, beach bum & motorcycle zealot: a restless soul in motion

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
Re: Espresso machine advice
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2009, 05:37:54 AM »
Hey Shep ... I've never used either one.  I did a quick search and found that the Breville is Chinese built and a thermoblock machine while the DeLonghi is a super automatic machine Italian built.  Based on the fact that she is not a coffee geek I would certainly suggest both quality wise and ease of use to go with the Delonghi. 

Now ideally you can mentor her in getting her own green and roast her own and she will be in for the coffee drinking experience of her life.

My 2 cents.

:)
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2009, 06:28:19 PM »
I guess I'll say the Super, but it does not matter all that much really.

I think the super because:

1) It's easy to use
2) It's got an onboard grinder so the potential for fresh(er) coffee is there.
3) It looks sort of ok for this class of machine...like a baby Jura.  ;D

I'd say get it and use it a lot, when it breaks toss it in the trash.

Drizzle chocolate in the bottom of the cups and go with as big of milk as it will do....call it a day. 
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Tex

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2009, 06:41:19 PM »
Definitely talk her into taking the Delonghi; then have her put it up on eBay and use the proceeds to buy a Gaggia Carezza and used commercial grinder. She can show her appreciation by making you caps for the rest of your life. 8)