Author Topic: Equipment Glut?  (Read 2882 times)

BoldJava

Equipment Glut?
« on: April 20, 2009, 03:49:27 AM »
I got a 10% off code from an online vendor.  Their Rancilio Silvia is already marked down to $534 (not reconditioned).  That comes to $481 shipped.  Wow.  Aabree, though not a plug for them. I am still a Chris's fan for the after-service.  I will pay for that upfront.

This unit was running for $699 all Fall, from all the vendors. What does that tell you about the recession and high end equipment?  Lots of vendors sitting with equipment gathering dust.  We might see some consolidation of the market and some bargains, though I hate that as it is indicative of where we are at.  If you have the bucks and are in the market, keep your powder dry.

Upgraditis anyone?  Not here.

B|Java
« Last Edit: April 20, 2009, 03:52:51 AM by BoldJava »

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
Re: Equipment Glut?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2009, 05:26:54 AM »
That sure is a deal if you are looking at Miss Sylvia.  To stop the upgrade-itis disease I bypassed this step and went HX at a good used price ... just over the selling price of Miss Sylvia last fall.

As you say though ... if you are in the market ... there will be some good deals to be had.

:)
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

Offline anastasio

• Standard User
  • Home roasting since 2008
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2009, 06:35:02 PM »
I am looking for a good new or used grinder, but I am having trouble spending over $100. Anything less appears to be crap. Still waiting for the priced to come down or for a good used deal.

Yes, I know, I am contributing to the deflation problem  :P, but until then, my hand grinder will do...

Tex

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2009, 06:52:19 PM »
I am looking for a good new or used grinder, but I am having trouble spending over $100. Anything less appears to be crap. Still waiting for the priced to come down or for a good used deal.

Yes, I know, I am contributing to the deflation problem  :P, but until then, my hand grinder will do...

If you're waiting for a sub-$100 espresso grinder, don't hold your breath! The cheapest used espresso-capable grinders are Gaggia MDF models & they sell on eBay for $150. Used Rancilio Rocky grinders sell for $200 or more. Used commercial grinders sell on eBay for $200 - 400. The least expensive new espresso grinder is the Cunill Tranquilo for $235.

Hand grinders can do a good job but figure on ~200 turns of the crank to grind enough coffee for one double shot. That's too much work for me!

Offline MMW

• Standard User
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2009, 06:37:03 AM »
I picked up a Rossi here a couple of months ago with new burrs shipped for $180.  There's deals out there if you're patient.
"During the early 19th century, most Americans subsisted on a diet of pork, whiskey, and coffee.  ----- Where did we go wrong?

Glacier

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2009, 07:12:11 AM »

Have you tried/seen the Jura-Capresso Infinity Conical grinder at Costco? (under a $100 dlvd)

Of course the beauty with Costco- bring it home or have it delivered...you don't like it?

Take it to your local store and get a refund.

Just a thought- I have used this, (it was not mine) and had very good luck.

just an FYI

Offline anastasio

• Standard User
  • Home roasting since 2008
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2009, 08:11:24 PM »
That is the one that I have had my eye on. A friend bought one and is very happy with it. He mocks me for not buying one yet, but I tell him that grinding the beans by hand vs. his grinder is like making bread by hand vs using a bread machine. A labor of love.

The Capresso is probably what I will get if I don't find any better deals in the next month or so - arms are getting tired  :)

Thanks for the suggestion!

draagoth

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2009, 09:13:45 PM »
I just picked up a Rossi RR45a from ebay for $106 delivered. Looks like it needs a good cleaning and maybe a new set of burrs, but other than that looks OK. I guess I'll find out when it gets here.

Rob :D

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2009, 02:53:21 AM »
I just picked up a Rossi RR45a from ebay for $106 delivered. Looks like it needs a good cleaning and maybe a new set of burrs, but other than that looks OK. I guess I'll find out when it gets here.

Well done Rob ... great grinder and a great price!

:)
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

milowebailey

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2009, 07:05:13 AM »

Rob

Burrs are cheap for those... $40 and it will be like new.... as long as the doser isn't broken.  Great price.  I look forward to hearing the condition it's in when it arrives.

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2009, 08:48:33 AM »

And if you don't need a doser, Milowebailey has a great mod to make it doserless.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

milowebailey

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2009, 09:00:14 AM »

And if you don't need a doser, Milowebailey has a great mod to make it doserless.
and come to think of it I do have spare doser (for parts) it has a few broken parts.

ButtWhiskers

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2009, 09:34:27 AM »

Until you get into fairly high-end equipment, your grinder is always going to be your weakest link.  It is way better to drop $150 or $200 for a secondhand Mazzer or equivalent (keep your eyes peeled) and spend $100 less on your espresso machine (or excess greens), than to have a nice espresso machine that pulls second-rate shots due to inconsistent grinding.  Don't be penny-wise and pound-foolish.

There has been an outfit at the Seattle CoffeeFest that sells secondhand commercial equipment, and had Jollies for $175 (2 years ago).  With the economic downturn, I would suspect that businesses like that will be doing a booming business this year.  I have seen La San Marco, Simonelli rebadges, and Cunill grinders for $100 in the last two months on Craigslist.  While not as nice as a Mazzer or Macap, they would probably not be dragging you down.

milowebailey

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2009, 09:45:43 AM »

Tex

« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2009, 11:40:30 AM »

Great find Rob! The RR-45's rate right up there with the Super Jolly & MD-50 grinders.