Author Topic: Father's Day...  (Read 5495 times)

BoldJava

Father's Day...
« on: May 10, 2009, 02:33:15 AM »
is rolling around the corner.  Anyone hoping for coffee toys this year?  List 'em out.  (I am after wild ties; coffee-toyed out).

Toys abound.  One of my absolute favorites coffee websites is http://orphanespresso.com, an Idaho Mum/Pop shop.  They are picking up LA Danish wood items for all Mazzer grinders.  For the gent who has just about everything:

http://www.orphanespresso.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=108&zenid=bc1393c98131fd7265f414a67ed1ab29

B|Java

ButtWhiskers

Re: Father's Day...
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2009, 10:09:16 PM »
I'm hoping for one of these.

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2009, 08:10:03 AM »
Not a coffee toy, but every dad needs one of these;

Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

FinerGrind

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2009, 01:49:55 PM »
I'll be asking the girls for one of these:

http://www.bodumusa.com/shop/line.asp?MD=1&GID=3&LID=282&HID=1312-16&CHK=&SLT=&mscssid=G3PPUJUHL12Q8L9MA4R17T2267U92KHD

I saw the 8 cup version of these in use at the WBC bar, and liked the look and durability of the stainless steel.  This might switch me from drip to press.

yorel23

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2009, 01:58:32 PM »

http://www.bodumusa.com/shop/line.asp?MD=1&GID=3&LID=282&HID=1312-16&CHK=&SLT=&mscssid=G3PPUJUHL12Q8L9MA4R17T2267U92KHD

I saw the 8 cup version of these in use at the WBC bar, and liked the look and durability of the stainless steel.  This might switch me from drip to press.

That's the FP I use.  I have enjoyed it a lot!  I have tried the glass ones, and I like the plunger on this one better.  Plus, no more broken beakers! ;)

Amazon had the 8 cup version for $29 for a few days last year and I bought a couple.  Haven't seen them for less than $49 since.  I should have stocked up then! :-\

Tex

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2009, 02:03:00 PM »
Not a coffee toy, but every dad needs one of these;

http://www.vimeo.com/1803735

Is it 4-wheel drive or have a Positrac rear-end? Where do you plug the coffee maker in?  ???

FinerGrind

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2009, 02:59:48 PM »

That's the FP I use.  I have enjoyed it a lot!  I have tried the glass ones, and I like the plunger on this one better.  Plus, no more broken beakers! ;)

Amazon had the 8 cup version for $29 for a few days last year and I bought a couple.  Haven't seen them for less than $49 since.  I should have stocked up then! :-\

Cool - I'll go from your recommendation then!  Sure wish they had the 12-cup at a discount like you got on the 8-cup - I'll shop around to see if I can get a better deal before I shell out 100 clams...

Offline peter

• Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2009, 03:37:15 PM »

Cool - I'll go from your recommendation then!  Sure wish they had the 12-cup at a discount like you got on the 8-cup - I'll shop around to see if I can get a better deal before I shell out 100 clams...

I would really like to have one of those and test out how much their mass sucks heat out of the water, vs. how much heat they retain (being double-walled).  I like the durability of the metal walls, but my gut tells me glass will leave more heat in the brewing coffee.

Now, if you preheated that baby, it would be ideal.

yorel23

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2009, 03:48:58 PM »
I would really like to have one of those and test out how much their mass sucks heat out of the water, vs. how much heat they retain (being double-walled).  I like the durability of the metal walls, but my gut tells me glass will leave more heat in the brewing coffee.

Now, if you preheated that baby, it would be ideal.

I generally fill it with water just off boiling and leave it for about 2-3 minutes (while grinding the beans, etc.) before brewing.  I've never done any actual measurements, but I don't think there is much heat loss.  As far as heat retention, I never brew more than I am going to drink right away, so I don't know about that.

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2009, 03:50:32 PM »
I took a liking to this one at the local Dunn Bro.... but I'm not asking for anything this fathers day :)

The lid also features a rubber ring for a tight seal, and a stainless steel disk that drops down to cover the screen to prevent over-brewing when you open the lid for drinking.

SusanJoM

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2009, 04:37:56 PM »
Okay, I'm not a Father or a Mother.
Nor do I have a Father or a Mother (any more),
But that doesn't stop me for having the "I wants"
and what I want is a maid and a cook....
Hey, I'm not fussy, either one will be fine....

small stuff....
ya know.....

Susan

Offline peter

• Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2009, 05:25:32 PM »

small stuff....
ya know.....

Susan

Send me a plane ticket...

I've never done any actual measurements, but I don't think there is much heat loss.  As far as heat retention, I never brew more than I am going to drink right away, so I don't know about that.

Do us a favor, and conduct a little experiment... please.

Take the temp of the water just before you put the ground coffee in, and then again after your steeping time.  I'm dying to find out.

yorel23

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2009, 05:32:46 PM »
I've never done any actual measurements, but I don't think there is much heat loss.  As far as heat retention, I never brew more than I am going to drink right away, so I don't know about that.

Do us a favor, and conduct a little experiment... please.

Take the temp of the water just before you put the ground coffee in, and then again after your steeping time.  I'm dying to find out.

I'll try to do it this weekend.  I've been concentrating so much lately on espresso that it might be nice to have a little FP for a change!  I generally do a 3.5 minute steep.  Is that about what you are looking for?

Offline peter

• Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2009, 05:40:57 PM »
I'll try to do it this weekend.  I've been concentrating so much lately on espresso that it might be nice to have a little FP for a change!  I generally do a 3.5 minute steep.  Is that about what you are looking for?

Precisely.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 09:22:11 PM by peter »

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2009, 08:50:09 PM »
Okay, I'm not a Father or a Mother.
Nor do I have a Father or a Mother (any more),
But that doesn't stop me for having the "I wants"

small stuff....
ya know.....

Susan

sorry.. made me think of a song...

I was thinking that
maybe I'd get a maid
Find a place nearby
for her to stay.
Just someone
to keep my house clean,
Fix my meals and go away.

A maid. Susan needs a maid.