Author Topic: Father's Day...  (Read 5493 times)

SusanJoM

Re: Father's Day...
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2009, 06:47:39 AM »
I was thinking that
maybe I'd get a maid
Find a place nearby
for her to stay.
Just someone
to keep my house clean,
Fix my meals and go away.

A maid. Susan needs a maid.
A maid.

Well, heck, if I have to do the housecleaning myself, Neil Young goes a long way towards making it easier.

Susan

yorel23

« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2009, 03:38:00 PM »
Do us a favor, and conduct a little experiment... please.

Take the temp of the water just before you put the ground coffee in, and then again after your steeping time.  I'm dying to find out.

Ok I performed the requested task Sunday morning.  This is the method I used and the results:

1) Filled the FP with hot tap water (approx. 130-140 degrees).  I usually use boiled water, but out of curiosity tried this.
2) Started grinding the coffee and boiling the water.
3) After grinding and boiling, I removed the heat from the water.
4) Emptied and dried the FP.
5) When the water reached ~195 degrees, poured it in the FP.
6) Added grounds, stirred, and placed plunger and lid on FP.
7) Waited precisely  ::) 3.5 minutes.
8 ) Removed lid and measured water temperature.
9) ~192-193 degrees!  Not bad, I'd say.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2009, 03:59:44 PM »

Step #5...  how did you arrive at the suspected ~195F mark?

p.s. Thanks for humoring my curiosity.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

yorel23

« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2009, 04:04:47 PM »

Do you mean how did I measure it or why I chose 195F?

Tex

« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2009, 04:08:37 PM »

Did you try it at various starting temps to see if there was a detectable difference in taste?

yorel23

« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2009, 04:18:57 PM »

Did you try it at various starting temps to see if there was a detectable difference in taste?

Through the years that I've used the FP, I've tried many different temps.  The temps posted are what I thought gave me the best, most consistent cup.  Granted, I don't always use a thermometer to make sure the temps are exactly the same, but I'd say that with the technique I use, I am probably within 2-3 degrees with every press. 
Also, I didn't mention that at about 2 minutes I swirl the press (lid on) to stir the grounds a bit.  Since it was a temp test I didn't go into all the boring details.

Tex

« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2009, 04:42:10 PM »

Through the years that I've used the FP, I've tried many different temps.  The temps posted are what I thought gave me the best, most consistent cup.  Granted, I don't always use a thermometer to make sure the temps are exactly the same, but I'd say that with the technique I use, I am probably within 2-3 degrees with every press. 
Also, I didn't mention that at about 2 minutes I swirl the press (lid on) to stir the grounds a bit.  Since it was a temp test I didn't go into all the boring details.

OK, that 'splains it then - I was expecting it to be completely & totally boring; and you barely got a yawn outa me.

LOL

yorel23

« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2009, 04:46:33 PM »
OK, that 'splains it then - I was expecting it to be completely & totally boring; and you barely got a yawn outa me.

LOL

Hey, I had to go into some of the boring details to give the results of my testing. ;)  Sorry, I didn't have any pictures.  My children don't like stories without pictures either.

Offline peter

• Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2009, 04:47:57 PM »

Do you mean how did I measure it or why I chose 195F?

How do you know it's ~195F is what I was wondering?

yorel23

« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2009, 04:51:34 PM »
How do you know it's ~195F is what I was wondering?

I used my milk frothing thermometer for all the temps.  I calibrated it in boiling water before the test so it should be pretty close.  It's not digital so I have to trust the dial, hence the ~ .  Even if it's a few degrees off the temp comparison should be pretty solid.  I was actually surprised that there was so little heat loss.

Offline peter

• Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2009, 07:16:39 PM »
  Even if it's a few degrees off the temp comparison should be pretty solid.  I was actually surprised that there was so little heat loss.

That's true; since you're measuring the before and after with the same instrument it's reliable.  Very cool test.  Very good heat retention.  I did something similar last winter with my glass FP, both stock and with a homemade insulating blanket.  Mine dropped ~6or7 degrees stock, and 4or5 when insulated, but both tests were not pre-heated in a 65 degree house.

BoldJava

« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2009, 07:20:31 AM »
hmmmmmmm....look at this guy's work.  Have a query in on a portafilter handle in olive wood.

http://www.home-barista.com/marketplace/custom-wood-for-your-espresso-machine-t10642.html

B|Java

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2009, 07:45:34 AM »
hmmmmmmm....look at this guy's work.  Have a query in on a portafilter handle in olive wood.

http://www.home-barista.com/marketplace/custom-wood-for-your-espresso-machine-t10642.html

B|Java

Those look mighty fine indeed.  Don't let Robert see this or else you know he will get one right away.

:)
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

BoldJava

« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2009, 08:16:11 AM »
The gent's work is under-priced, in my opinion.  Olive wood rocks.  Ordered.

B|Java

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2009, 09:25:51 AM »
The gent's work is under-priced, in my opinion.  Olive wood rocks.  Ordered.

B|Java

Way to go B|J ... how long will it take for you to get it ... and if you do not mind divulging ... how much was it?

I'd be interested to see what you think of it when you get it and maybe take some pictures to show it off.

:)
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski