Author Topic: Unic (Phoenix) Espresso??  (Read 1564 times)

yorel23

Unic (Phoenix) Espresso??
« on: May 18, 2009, 09:22:27 AM »
Anyone know anything about these machines?

http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/hsh/1176139956.html

Tex

Re: Unic (Phoenix) Espresso??
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2009, 09:34:41 AM »
No first hand experience. Made in France - funny grouphead setup - closely associated with Illy dealers. Looks like this one's setup for Illy ESE pods? I know folks who have them and love them & I knew folks who couldn't wait to get rid of theirs.

There are machine makers with better reputations.

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2009, 09:10:13 PM »
Personally I would not want to get locked into pod machines.  It limits which coffee you can use and how much of it.

My 2 cents.

:)
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

yorel23

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2009, 07:30:02 AM »
Yeah, I wouldn't want to get locked into a pod only machine either.  I just thought that it was pod "compatible" and not restricted to pods.  Regardless, I have crossed this one off my list of possibilities.  Thanks for the input guys!

Tex

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2009, 07:39:19 AM »
Suggestion: Unless your coffee nook is wired for 220 VAC 20 amp, look at a machine's power requirements carefully. Some commercial 1-group machines pull upward of 3500 watts (30 amps @ 120 VAC). This is a lot more than most homes are wired for.

That's ONE of the reasons the Bunn ES-1A is a favorite for a lot of folks - it only draws 16 amps @ 120 VAC (~the same as a consumer Gaggia).

yorel23

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2009, 07:55:49 AM »
Thanks for the tip and suggestion.  I pretty much can get any power I want to my espresso area as the panel is on the other side of the wall.  However, I would rather get a unit that is smaller and uses less power, so I appreciate any suggestions.  The Bunn looks like a nice unit, but having to have permanent plumbing may be an issue.

Tex

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2009, 08:45:13 AM »
A lot of us use this kit from Chris Coffee. It's got everything needed to hook up the fresh water line.

If you don't have plumbing near your coffee nook you can always use bottled water & a FloJet pump, and run the waste water to another bottle.

There are always more than one way to skin a cat!

ButtWhiskers

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2009, 04:10:27 PM »
There are usually plenty of reasons to skin the cat, as well.  Those little buggers are mighty lucky that the Lord made them so cute, otherwise I would have much softer slippers, less housework, and a lower grocery bill.   >:D

Tex

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2009, 04:15:38 PM »
There are usually plenty of reasons to skin the cat, as well.  Those little buggers are mighty lucky that the Lord made them so cute, otherwise I would have much softer slippers, less housework, and a lower grocery bill.   >:D

Now that's just wrong, for too many reasons to list here. Wrong, wrong, wrong!