Author Topic: Help Deciding Between Zojirushi and Cuisinart FINALLY BOUGHT ONE!  (Read 2568 times)

nilesong

So I was wondering if you all could help me decide between the Zojirushi  EC-BD15BA Fresh Brew Thermal Carafe and the Cuisinart DCC-1200. I'm split between the 2 machines and just can't decide which is the best unit.

Is one better than the other? Or are there any pros/cons that could help make my decision any easier? Thanks!
« Last Edit: May 25, 2009, 09:54:36 AM by nilesong »

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
Re: Help Deciding Between Zojirushi and Cuisinart
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2009, 07:46:55 AM »
Well ... what I would ask is what list of features is important to you?

:)
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

BoldJava

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2009, 07:47:28 AM »
I can't help you with the comparison.  I can tell you that we bought out daughter the Zojirushi you cite.  She loves it and I have had coffee from it.  It is a very good cup.

She preheats the carafe with boiling water and it holds the coffee hot for four hours, if that is your style.  The top is just a bit awkward.  She is going on nearly three years of daily use with it.  I snagged it off http://newegg.com at $70 when shipping was free as well.  Guess what, same special today:  
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16896101308&Tpk=zojirushi

She is very satisfied.  I have no experience with the Cuisinart but I notice that it has a heat plate.  That would knock it out of the running for me as the constant heat ruins coffee.

If you aren't committed to a machine set up, I would encourage you to consider a Chemex with a Bodum gold filter.  Love that arrangement.  Cost you $60 with shipping.  Here is mine:

http://picasaweb.google.com/davidborton/BodumGoldChemex#5306850380734110258

Ultimate control in brewing temp.  Easy clean-up; eco-friendly.

B|Java
« Last Edit: May 25, 2009, 07:50:59 AM by BoldJava »

milowebailey

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2009, 07:54:30 AM »
If you are looking for a thermal pot there is a different version of the cuisinart that is the same brewer as the dcc-1200.  
You can see it here

Here is a review

From measurements I've taken on the cuisinart they do brew at 200 degrees.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2009, 07:58:48 AM by milowebailey »

nilesong

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2009, 08:00:59 AM »
I really don't have any features that matter to me, except proper temp when brewing. I think I may try the Zojirushi as the heat plate on the Cuisinart was holding me back too.

BoldJava, that setup looks very interesting! I'd love to give it a try. I have never thought of using a setup like that, but how interesting and simple (I think  :)).

I guess I didn't realize that Cuisinart made a thermal model. Any advantage to spend the extra $50? Or should I get the Zojirushi from newegg? ???

Offline MGLloyd

• Standard User
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2009, 08:11:27 AM »
I bought the Zojirushi for my ex-wife when she asked for my help with a coffee setup.  I also bought it from Newegg since that was the best price anywhere.  The Zoji is an excellent brewer and easily hits the recommended temps.  I think it makes as a good a cup as my Capresso MT500.  The only potential drawback is that the Zoji is tall, which may be a factor if it is used or stored underneath the kitchen cabinets. 

The Zoji is now my standard thermal brewer recommendation as representing the best bang for the buck.

Regards,

Michael Lloyd
Arlington, Washington  USA

BoldJava

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2009, 08:17:19 AM »
If you are looking for a thermal pot there is a different version of the cuisinart that is the same brewer as the dcc-1200. 
You can see it here

Here is a review

Larry, is it my imagination or did it have 1400W when it was first introduced in Wms Sonoma.

B|Java

milowebailey

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2009, 08:42:23 AM »

Larry, is it my imagination or did it have 1400W when it was first introduced in Wms Sonoma.

B|Java
[/quote]

You may be thinking of the Krups Power brew..... also a great choice... that's probably what I'd choose... although not a thermal carafe

nilesong

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2009, 08:52:47 AM »
Ok, sorry for my ignorance here but...do the Zoji, Cuisinart, and the Krups Power Brew all brew at the proper temp without first preheating the water in a kettle?

milowebailey

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2009, 08:57:41 AM »
2 of them get the water to the correct temp.... the problem is, as is with most pour-over coffeemakers, that whole coffee machine isn't hot all the time.  Best to run 1/2 carafe or so of water through it unless you have a coffeemaker that keeps water hot all the time...

Read this whole thread and you will see...

nilesong

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2009, 09:24:59 AM »
You can see it here

Here is a review

Is this the one? http://www.ikitchen.com/cubrceth12co.html If so, it's only ~$67 today.

milowebailey

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2009, 09:29:08 AM »
You can see it here

Here is a review

Is this the one? http://www.ikitchen.com/cubrceth12co.html If so, it's only ~$67 today.

I don't think you'll be disappointed.... great price... but it is refurbished...

nilesong

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2009, 09:35:44 AM »
How can you tell it's refurb? And you'd still go with this over the Zoji?

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2009, 09:39:00 AM »
How can you tell it's refurb? And you'd still go with this over the Zoji?

Assuming the quality of the coffee is similar it comes down to looks and price.  If you prefer the looks of the Cusinart over the Zoji then that settles it. 

If looks do not matter to you then $70.00 Zoji delivered to you and $67.00 plus shipping for the Cusinart.

So which are you getting?

:)
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

nilesong

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2009, 09:47:48 AM »
Give me 10-15 mins to make a decision and I'll post here with my new coffeemaker! I don't know why I'm making this is so hard?! ::)