Author Topic: Compak K-3 Review at S|M's  (Read 1562 times)

BoldJava

Compak K-3 Review at S|M's
« on: July 25, 2009, 04:32:06 AM »
http://www.sweetmarias.com/compak_espressoK3/Compak_details_page.php

Quick review with excellent photos.  Anyone own either?  You in agreement with Tom, who really likes them?  Maybe I missed it but couldn't figure out how much difficulty it would be between flying between espresso and peter pot.

S|M's has the doserless as well as the doser model, while Chris's Coffee stocks just the doser.  Doserless is signficantly cheaper.

B|Java
« Last Edit: July 26, 2009, 07:12:16 AM by BoldJava »

Tex

Re: Compak K-3 Review at S|M's
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2009, 10:10:34 AM »
Nice looking machines, and Tom does a great job explaining why clumping is a problem with doserless grinders.

I wonder how the Compak would stack up to a $235 Cunill Tranquilo? ???

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2009, 10:12:58 AM »
Wouldn't it be something if a review comparing the two found them to be close to the same quality with one being less than half the price?

:)
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

Tex

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2009, 10:18:46 AM »
Wouldn't it be something if a review comparing the two found them to be close to the same quality with one being less than half the price?

It's been the on-going argument of several coffee groups: Why buy a Mazzer Mini for twice the price of a Tranquilo when their specs are near-identical.

Folks just get caught up in the hype I guess. ::)

BoldJava

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2009, 10:19:41 AM »
Nice looking machines, and Tom does a great job explaining why clumping is a problem with doserless grinders. . .

I have the Macap 4 and Thom is correct about the doserless throat grounds retention on it.  It is a non-issue for me with a spoon handle and a quick rebuzz on the on/off switch.

I have clumps but nothing like his picture of the doserless Compak.  A little WDT action and off we go.  Espresso is a minor prep in our home so the Macap 4 doserless keeps me very happy.

B|Java
« Last Edit: July 26, 2009, 07:12:54 AM by BoldJava »

Offline mp

• Standard User
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2009, 10:21:42 AM »
It's been the on-going argument of several coffee groups: Why buy a Mazzer Mini for twice the price of a Tranquilo when their specs are near-identical.

Folks just get caught up in the hype I guess. ::)

Yeah ... it sounds much better if you say "I own a Mazzer" instead of "I own a Cunill".  With Mazzer there is a  :o factor to it.

lp, 7-Ski

GC7

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2009, 04:36:41 PM »
I've had one for about 10 months now.  It;s grind is excellent and it is easy to clean.

I have several reviews of sorts on HB but I am quite happy.  I can;t compare it directly with other dedicated espresso grinders.  It's quite easy to make small changes in time and volume of resulting shots.  I have a home made scale taped o the grinder to use as a means of "remembering" settings and returning back to the same position when changing coffees. Again, photos are on HB. I do use the WDT to break up any clumps (variable with different coffees and humidity) and fluff up the grind.

My shots have been excellent with my QM Anita.

I'm happy to answer any qestions

donn

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2009, 10:04:26 PM »
Yeah ... it sounds much better if you say "I own a Mazzer" instead of "I own a Cunill".  With Mazzer there is a  :o factor to it.

The factor I get from "I own a Mazzer", especially vs. Cunill, is "I don't know how to pick a grinder, so I just bought the expensive one all the cool people were buying."

Offline George Coury

• Standard User
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2009, 07:35:56 PM »
Nice looking machines, and Tom does a great job explaining why clumping is a problem with doserless grinders.

After you suggested I get rid of my rocky for a more serious espresso grinder, I read about the Cunill tranquilo, the compaq K3 elite( enjoyed SM review) and the Cimbali max hybrid. If you just read the reviews of folks out there using the stuff, I'd rush out and buy the Cimbali max, but it's almost $800 @ Chris. I guess I have the same question you raise above. Is the grind going to be worth it from a machine that is 3X more assuming each machine is reliable?? Has anyone really compared any of these machines head to head? Has anyone in the GCBC had experience with the Cimbali Max hybrid?

Tex

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2009, 07:56:13 PM »
Setting aside everything but grind quality; I look at motor power (bigger will usually run cooler), RPM (slower will keep the coffee cooler), burr size (bigger permits lower RPMs), burr carriers (forged usually more stable than stamped - and ALWAYS avoid plastic carriers).

Some grinders are noisier, others are less messy, some run hot to the touch, and some just look better. But generally, I judge grinders by grind quality. If I was in the market for a grinder I'd be looking at used commercial espresso grinders on eBay or Craig's List. In this category I like all of the grinders in the 60 mm range, with my favorites being the Rancilio MD-50 & the Mazzer Super Jolly, and I'd pay no more than $250 (including S&H) plus another $50 for new burrs.

If I insisted on getting a new grinder I'd get a Cunill Tranquilo. I've used them, like them, and highly recommend them. There are other good quality espresso grinder to be had at reasonable prices.

After you suggested I get rid of my rocky for a more serious espresso grinder, I read about the Cunill tranquilo, the compaq K3 elite( enjoyed SM review) and the Cimbali max hybrid. If you just read the reviews of folks out there using the stuff, I'd rush out and buy the Cimbali max, but it's almost $800 @ Chris. I guess I have the same question you raise above. Is the grind going to be worth it from a machine that is 3X more assuming each machine is reliable?? Has anyone really compared any of these machines head to head? Has anyone in the GCBC had experience with the Cimbali Max hybrid?

BoldJava

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2009, 03:35:32 AM »
...I read about the Cunill tranquilo, the compaq K3 elite( enjoyed SM review) and the Cimbali max hybrid. If you just read the reviews of folks out there using the stuff, I'd rush out and buy the Cimbali max, but it's almost $800 @ Chris... Has anyone really compared any of these machines head to head? Has anyone in the GCBC had experience with the Cimbali Max hybrid?

I haven't.  I am not sure how the guts of the Max compare with the Cimbali Junior but the best head-to-head comparison I have read comes off Home-Barista.com.  They have the Junior in the mix.

http://www.home-barista.com/espresso-grinder-reviews.html

B|Java

Offline mp

• Standard User
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2009, 06:17:02 AM »
I have La Cimbali Junior and I am infinitely satisfied with it.  It has the 60 mm burrs as Robert is talking about and gives a great grind and the dozer helps to disseminate the ground coffee.  Don't know how it compares to the Max but if faced with a purchase issue I would go for the Cunill over the Max just based on price alone.  When I bought mine it was $235 shipping in.

Hope that helps.

lp, 7-Ski