Author Topic: Sonofresco / Q&A / Tip & Tricks  (Read 126101 times)

Offline ScareYourPassenger

• Standard User
  • lever lover
Re: Sonofresco / Q&A / Tip & Tricks
« Reply #315 on: November 03, 2012, 12:53:27 PM »
FYI, I called them because I was having issues with lower density beans and they mentioned that adjusting the gas valve might help. I will be trying it this weekend.

I adjusted the valve and it seems to have worked. The gas is cycling a bit less and my roasts are going at least 30 seconds longer. I would typically hit full city at about 9:20-9:35 depending on the bean. I am now seeing closer to 10 minute roasts.

To do this, turn roaster on its handle side. Take a flat lade screw driver and remove red cap of the valve that is exposed though the hole. Turn plastic adjuster counter clockwise 1/4 turn using fat blade screwdriver.

yankeeNH

« Reply #316 on: November 03, 2012, 01:02:54 PM »
Any chance you can upload some pictures? You've piqued my curiosity. Enquiring minds and all...

FYI, I called them because I was having issues with lower density beans and they mentioned that adjusting the gas valve might help. I will be trying it this weekend.

I adjusted the valve and it seems to have worked. The gas is cycling a bit less and my roasts are going at least 30 seconds longer. I would typically hit full city at about 9:20-9:35 depending on the bean. I am now seeing closer to 10 minute roasts.

To do this, turn roaster on its handle side. Take a flat lade screw driver and remove red cap of the valve that is exposed though the hole. Turn plastic adjuster counter clockwise 1/4 turn using fat blade screwdriver.

Tex

« Reply #317 on: November 07, 2012, 08:04:14 AM »
Thanks to SYP I tried adjusting the gas valve on my Model 1100.

Unchanged:

1/4 turn counter clockwise:

The after-adjustment profile is the most promising I've ever logged on a Sono. The peaks & valleys were still present, but they weren't as pronounced. I think we're onto something, but I'll have to play around with the settings more before I declare victory; that and compare the results in the cup.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2012, 08:08:26 AM by Tex »

• Standard User
  • lever lover
« Reply #318 on: November 07, 2012, 08:10:53 AM »
I have tried two different coffees after these changes. I am getting more pronounced acidity, slightly less sweetness but less char/burnt taste. I have a feeling some beans like the faster ramp and the ones I tried so far have done decently with the faster ramp in temperature. I tend to prefer a FC/FC+ roast that is just shy of second crack.

The real test is the Maui and I may try a batch of the recently distroed Geisha.

yankeeNH

« Reply #319 on: November 07, 2012, 08:26:27 AM »
I'm really curious about this now. Were these two roasts the same coffee on the same setting? It would appear (if I'm reading this correctly) that there is less temperature swing between cycles, but there are less cycles and the temperature peaked significantly higher, almost like you'd want to use a lower setting after adjusting the gas valve.

Thoughts?

Thanks to SYP I tried adjusting the gas valve on my Model 1100.

Unchanged:

1/4 turn counter clockwise:

The after-adjustment profile is the most promising I've ever logged on a Sono. The peaks & valleys were still present, but they weren't as pronounced. I think we're onto something, but I'll have to play around with the settings more before I declare victory; that and compare the results in the cup.

Tex

« Reply #320 on: November 07, 2012, 08:39:33 AM »
I'm really curious about this now. Were these two roasts the same coffee on the same setting? It would appear (if I'm reading this correctly) that there is less temperature swing between cycles, but there are less cycles and the temperature peaked significantly higher, almost like you'd want to use a lower setting after adjusting the gas valve.

Thoughts?

Same blend, same weight, same FC+ target. I did change the thermometer for the 2nd roast to take readings every 6 seconds instead of 8 seconds as in the 1st roast. Both roasts were stopped at 454°F, but the 1st graph doesn't reflect that (guess it occurred when the thermometer wasn't recording?). I remember now; I use 2 t/cs in the bean mass, one in a fluid movement area and 1 in a more stable mass. The thermometer only records one t/c and I had the wrong one plugged into T1, so I was recording the lower temp. It doesn't matter because though they're different, they mirror each other.

Regardless of where the gas valve setting is, I use a thermocouple imbedded in the bean mass to judge degree of roast. I tried to make the change in the gas valve the only variable.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2012, 08:46:37 AM by Tex »

hootowlcoffee

« Reply #321 on: November 24, 2012, 08:18:09 PM »
I had heard some rumors about a profiling system Sonofresco will be putting on their machines.  Had to call Sonofresco for some questions and asked if it were true.  The answer is yes, and it will be able to adjust the burner as well.  Will cost in the 500's for an upgrade on new/old machines.  Sounds like they wanted just a profiler and it turned into a rabbit hole.....YAY !!!  Coming in the spring.  Excited and thought I would share so we can all start selling plasma for the upgrade.

Tex

« Reply #322 on: November 24, 2012, 08:37:21 PM »
I had heard some rumors about a profiling system Sonofresco will be putting on their machines.  Had to call Sonofresco for some questions and asked if it were true.  The answer is yes, and it will be able to adjust the burner as well.  Will cost in the 500's for an upgrade on new/old machines.  Sounds like they wanted just a profiler and it turned into a rabbit hole.....YAY !!!  Coming in the spring.  Excited and thought I would share so we can all start selling plasma for the upgrade.

Time for a (few) visit(s) to the blood bank!

• Standard User
  • lever lover
« Reply #323 on: November 25, 2012, 07:01:25 AM »
I am going to wait it out. I am worried it might be hard to control the heat ramping without a variable gas controller.

yankeeNH

« Reply #324 on: November 25, 2012, 07:18:40 AM »
Best news I've heard in a long time!! Thanks for the update!

jittery_java

« Reply #325 on: December 08, 2012, 05:32:44 AM »
just fyi, sonofresco roasters use a 2 wire 1000 ohm platinum rtd.

Tex

« Reply #326 on: December 08, 2012, 01:08:47 PM »

I've never used RTDs; why would you use one instead of a thermocouple? And why are all the RTDs I see at http://omega.com 3-wire?

jittery_java

« Reply #327 on: December 08, 2012, 02:33:38 PM »

I've never used RTDs; why would you use one instead of a thermocouple? And why are all the RTDs I see at http://omega.com 3-wire?

3 wire RTDs compensate for the resistance of the lead wires. if the sonofresco board could accept a 3 wire RTD it would be more accurate, unfortunately the board expects a 2 wire RTD.
RTDs do not require calibration at different altitudes and put out a linear resistance as opposed to thermocouples s-shaped resistance curve.
Thermocouples also drift with time, while RTDs put out the same resistances over their entire lifespan.
As far as an omega rtd that works with the sonofresco, I know that the RTD-870-1000 OHMS will work, as I modded my sonofresco 1 lb model to use that probe. (drilled a small hole for the probe in the exhaust tube and plugged up the other hole with metal duct tape)

Tex

« Reply #328 on: December 08, 2012, 04:23:37 PM »

snipped
As far as an omega rtd that works with the sonofresco, I know that the RTD-870-1000 OHMS will work, as I modded my sonofresco 1 lb model to use that probe. (drilled a small hole for the probe in the exhaust tube and plugged up the other hole with metal duct tape)

Dang, I looked all over Omega and I didn't see those. Thanks for your help - I've been wanting to keep spares on hand, but the Sono replacements were too expensive. Plus the ones you found have stainless sheaths, so will be easier to keep clean.

I just ordered two. ;D

• Standard User
  • lever lover
« Reply #329 on: December 13, 2012, 06:28:42 PM »
It is getting colder in Georgia and my roasts are taking longer. The next use or the gas adjustment may be to compensate for colder inlet air temps. Details ths weekend if the older weather persists.