Author Topic: What Is It??  (Read 1304 times)

yorel23

What Is It??
« on: August 06, 2009, 02:57:31 PM »
Anyone have any idea what this might be??  ???

http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/clt/1307535854.html

Steve7

Re: What Is It??
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2009, 03:05:47 PM »
A polar bear?

yorel23

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2009, 03:13:02 PM »

milowebailey

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2009, 03:38:00 PM »
humongous drip coffee maker.  I've seen one and had swill out of one.  I have no idea where they get the filters, but I think they use 1 or 2 lbs of coffee per pot.

BTW.... not an antique.

similar to this one

yorel23

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2009, 03:41:41 PM »
Just came across it in my daily "coffee browse" on CL.  No interest in buying it, but just wondered what it was.  Thanks Larry.

Tex

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2009, 03:49:47 PM »
If John sees it he'll want to incorporate it into his bamboo espresso machine. The Sugar Land cabal could froth up a five-gallon pitcher of milk for an assault on the Guinness record for a cappuccino. ;D

yorel23

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2009, 04:00:46 PM »
If John sees it he'll want to incorporate it into his bamboo espresso machine. The Sugar Land cabal could froth up a five-gallon pitcher of milk for an assault on the Guinness record for a cappuccino. ;D

Trust ol' Tex to find a good use for this "gem". ;D

Offline bwilson

• Standard User
  • Hi - My name is Bruce and I'm a Coffeeholic
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2009, 04:47:45 AM »
The Holiday Inn I worked at as a youngster had one of those.  It makes a lot of (good???) coffee quickly.
As a man sows, so he shall reap - Law of Karma

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2009, 06:02:57 AM »
If John sees it he'll want to incorporate it .....

No, if I ever need that much drip I think I'll use a #80 cone.  ;D
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2009, 05:27:10 PM »
The navy used to have these when I was a youngster in the early 80's.

it's a big coffee urn.  Some of them have steam piped to them for 'brewing' and keeping the coffee warm.  Each urn holds about 125 cups of coffee.  Then they'd hold the temp at about 195 degrees for 18 hours... when it ran low they'd just throw more grounds on the top and hit the 'brew' button, water would squirt out into the grounds, into the pot it'd churn for a while, then the light would come on letting you know the next batch of paint remover was ready for consumption :icon_puke_r:

Seriously, some of the stewburners would tell the mess cooks.  throw two cups of coffee in for first batch, when its time to redo, just throw another cup on top of the old already brewed mess that's also been setting there for 18 hours, and when the basket is full, only then throw it out and get a new one.

They came with huge coffee filters, although I do remember some kind of cloth filter thingie too they'd rinse out under hot water and reuse.....

Aaron
As I have grown older, I have learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake!

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2009, 07:00:12 PM »
I saw one of these used to brew coffee that was given to a bunch of people in the city recently... we brewed a LOT of coffee... and several LARGE vats of really good hot chocolate... I know that pretty decent coffee can be had from one of these, if the operator knows what he is doing...  not as good as the same bean in my vac pot or even my pour over but very good for the conditions and quantity.... part of the secret is not putting all the hot water through the grinds... the coffee would have been over extracted I think...

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2009, 12:37:39 PM »
That is assuming you had good coffee to begin with.  The navy buys the cheapest crap it can get, in 20 pound tins, that might be viet nam era vietnameese robusta.  THen might add chicory because it makes a coffee good right??  Then serve it to you several hours old sitting at 211.929 degrees all that time.   ::)

If you brew at the right temp and don't burn it Im sure you could make decent coffee with one of these. 

Aaron
As I have grown older, I have learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake!