Author Topic: Recommendations for #2 paper filters for Melitta pourover  (Read 1380 times)

SusanJoM

Recommendations for #2 paper filters for Melitta pourover
« on: October 13, 2009, 09:58:49 AM »
I thought I was never gonna run out.  The stack looked soooooooooo big.
But .... now it's gone and I need more filters for morning single-cup.

What do you prefer?

Melitta?
White?
Unbleached?

Something else????

Susan
« Last Edit: October 13, 2009, 10:05:44 AM by SusanJoM »

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
Re: Recommendations for #2 paper filters for Melitta pourover
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2009, 10:03:07 AM »
I prefer Melitta oxy (white).

I don't like the way some of the other brands "stall" and washing the natural filters is just an extra step to me...

I'm not sure if the micro flavor pores do anything but in my mind the might so because they are so available, cheap, and good quality I use them 99% of the time.

"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
  • Roaster: 4# RK Drum
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2009, 10:18:20 AM »
I'm also a fan of the Melitta brand, but I don't have a preference to the white or brown. I rinse the filter regardless.

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2009, 10:25:42 AM »
You rinse the whites.....damn it!!

Now I have to try that, thanks a lot man.   ;D

Side bar that is only a partial hijack because it ties into pourover.

While you are here Headchange. I have been meaning to tell you for some time that previously we were taking about brewing temps off of our Melitta kettles and you mentioned the swirling routine you do to drop some temp. I've been playing around with hitting the grinder as soon as the water boils and pouring a portion of the just off boil water into my mug to preheat and drop temp at the same time. How much is undetermined and of course mug size factors in. But in general if you pour half a mug, pour it back in the kettle and give it a swirl with the top open by the time you are done grinding you are at temp with preheated mug. in one shot.

If you have not thought about it try it out and let me know what you find.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2009, 10:27:18 AM by John F »
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

SusanJoM

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2009, 10:32:16 AM »
I have been "rinsing" the ones (brand unknown) that I've been using, but only in part to "rinse". 

The issue that would remain (whether or not I felt something had to be rinsed out of the paper) is that that rinse water warms the cup or the pot;  also the time that that first hot water is going through the filter is the time I give the water remaining in the kettle to subside to the (guesstimated) correct temp.

Susan

yorel23

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2009, 11:24:30 AM »
Thread transport continued. ;D

The way that I determine if rinsing is necessary is this.  I drink the "rinse water" after it cools.  If it has an offish taste, I rinse the filters.  If it tastes like normal water, no rinse needed.  As far as the Melittas go, the browns definitely need rinsed, the white (IMO) don't.  The rinse water from the browns tastes like a brown paper sack smells.  The water from the whites has little or no off taste.  For economical and ease of use purposes the Melitta whites are the way to go (IMO).

As far as water temps go.  If I preheat my thermal carafe or chemex with the water just off boil and pour it back into the kettle, I am at about 205 degrees and ready to start my bloom pour.  How long do you wait before resuming the pour after the "bloom"?  I wait about 1 minute.  In that one minute with lid down I lose about 5-10 degrees.  So, I pour my bloom at 205 degrees and resume the pour with the water at 195-200.  I think that my water may be a little cool by the end of the pour, but don't know of any way to avoid it.  Maybe shorten my bloom time?  Any thoughts? 

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2009, 12:21:40 PM »
  How long do you wait before resuming the pour after the "bloom"? 

I don't time it. I watch the rise and when it starts to decline I begin the pour. It normally works out to be about the 30 second mark for comparison.

Lee Morrison

Tex

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2009, 12:27:39 PM »
I like the oxy washed filters from Costco. They don't seem to plug up as badly as other filters and I've never felt the need to pre-rinse them.

I did a drip test and found that 4 ozs of water went through them at the same rate as the Melitta filters.

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
  • Roaster: 4# RK Drum
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2009, 03:19:58 PM »
You rinse the whites.....damn it!!

Now I have to try that, thanks a lot man.   ;D

Side bar that is only a partial hijack because it ties into pourover.

While you are here Headchange. I have been meaning to tell you for some time that previously we were taking about brewing temps off of our Melitta kettles and you mentioned the swirling routine you do to drop some temp. I've been playing around with hitting the grinder as soon as the water boils and pouring a portion of the just off boil water into my mug to preheat and drop temp at the same time. How much is undetermined and of course mug size factors in. But in general if you pour half a mug, pour it back in the kettle and give it a swirl with the top open by the time you are done grinding you are at temp with preheated mug. in one shot.

If you have not thought about it try it out and let me know what you find.

I did modify my technique a while back. My standard routine is to fill said Melitta kettle to the 1 Liter mark and flip on the power. I prefer the 1 L mark because A) that about the right amount of water to allow me to rinse the filter and fill my big 'ol cup with a little extra water just in case and B) it takes much less time to heat up as apposed to a whole or even half kettle. I the follow the 3 rinse rule where I pour a bit of water in the filter (while in the filter holder), swirl around, and then purge. I also pour water out of the kettle into a 8 oz measuring cup and then back into the kettle x 3. It make much more sense to use the cup I'll be drinking from instead of the measuring cup. The only reason I had not done this before is that I tend to add sugar to my cup while the water is heating.

I figure once my Melitta kettle gives up the ghost I will spring for a kettle that temp setting or add a PID to my next one.