Author Topic: First "Good" Grinder  (Read 2253 times)

cycler2

First "Good" Grinder
« on: September 01, 2009, 03:25:16 PM »
I'm a noobie who's trying to decide what to buy for my first "good" grinder at or under $200.00.  The Kitchen Aid Pro Line Coffee Mill interests me.  It looks like it's built like a tank and has glass, rather than plastic, containers for beans and ground coffee.  I've seen some good reviews on other sites, but have not found one here.  I would welcome your opinions about this mill.  BTW, my wife and I use a drip coffee maker so no doser is necessary.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Offline harryho

• Standard User
  • It's a bit Nutty!!!
Re: First "Good" Grinder
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2009, 04:09:37 PM »

cycler2

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2009, 04:36:28 PM »
Thanks for the links, harryho.  I don't know how I missed those threads.  That's why you're a five star kind of guy and I'm not.  ;D

I can easily see how "dollar creep" happens here.  For just a few dollars more I can have a Mazzer....

Offline harryho

• Standard User
  • It's a bit Nutty!!!
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2009, 04:42:08 PM »
Thanks for the links, harryho.  I don't know how I missed those threads.  That's why you're a five star kind of guy and I'm not.  ;D

I can easily see how "dollar creep" happens here.  For just a few dollars more I can have a Mazzer....

No problem. From my experience, searching is not that straightforward.

Glad to help.

Offline MMW

• Standard User
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2009, 04:42:45 PM »
No espresso?  The pro line will suit you just fine.

Mrs. MMW and I have been using ours for years now.  The thing is built like a tank, very easy to clean, looks great on the counter, is relatively quiet, and (most importantly) gives a nice even grind.
"During the early 19th century, most Americans subsisted on a diet of pork, whiskey, and coffee.  ----- Where did we go wrong?

cycler2

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2009, 04:55:26 PM »
Thanks MMW.  I spent some time looking at Mazzers (even used) and suffered sticker shock.  The Kitchen Aide is looking better and better.

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2009, 05:29:27 PM »
I've always wanted one of those KA pro grinders.

If I didn't need espresso I'd probably get one. Something about the grind falling straight down is just  cool to me.  8)

"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Tex

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2009, 07:08:16 PM »
If you're 100% sure it's not going to be used for espresso, here's a quality grinder for little money. Plus it has the Costco guarantee of satisfaction or your money refunded.

yorel23

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2009, 07:26:13 PM »
If you're 100% sure it's not going to be used for espresso, here's a quality grinder for little money. Plus it has the Costco guarantee of satisfaction or your money refunded.

On the flip side of that.  If you go into Costco and see a La Pavoni or Capresso burr grinder for around $40 (same grinder, different badge) do not even be tempted.  I tried one and will now be using the "Costco Guarantee of Satisfaction" to return it.  Terrible, uneven grinds and more static than I've ever seen.   

Tex

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2009, 07:32:43 PM »

On the flip side of that.  If you go into Costco and see a La Pavoni or Capresso burr grinder for around $40 (same grinder, different badge) do not even be tempted.  I tried one and will now be using the "Costco Guarantee of Satisfaction" to return it.  Terrible, uneven grinds and more static than I've ever seen.   

No argument from me about the grinder, a real POS! But just how good a grinder does one need for drip coffee?

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2009, 07:33:25 PM »

In the long run, I think you'd be better served by the KA.  Burrs can be replaced for ~$30 in a matter of minutes, parts should always be available, and it'll outlive most of us (especially that ol' Texan)  :)    I'd bet most of those grinders around $100, i.e., Saeco, Baratza, Capresso, etc., if you took them apart you see the same motor, the same burrs, the same plastic.  But I'd shop around and wait for a deal on the KA; if you're going to pay more than $150 for one you may as well spend a little more and get something even better.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

yorel23

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2009, 07:36:47 PM »
No argument from me about the grinder, a real POS! But just how good a grinder does one need for drip coffee?

The Capresso Infinity (that you referenced) on their website is a very good grinder for anything but espresso. The one I'm talking about is the one in the stores (at least here in Vegas).  Terrible grinder that La Pavoni and Capresso should be ashamed to put their name on!  Even if it was good enough for drip, the static is enough to drive you crazy!!  Granted, it is a $40 grinder, but not worth the money, IMHO.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 07:38:27 PM by yorel23 »

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2009, 07:42:31 PM »
But just how good a grinder does one need for drip coffee?

Can o' worms..  :-X

You can't go wrong with a good one.  ;)

"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Tex

« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2009, 07:45:06 PM »
In the long run, I think you'd be better served by the KA.  Burrs can be replaced for ~$30 in a matter of minutes, parts should always be available, and it'll outlive most of us (especially that ol' Texan)  :)    I'd bet most of those grinders around $100, i.e., Saeco, Baratza, Capresso, etc., if you took them apart you see the same motor, the same burrs, the same plastic.  But I'd shop around and wait for a deal on the KA; if you're going to pay more than $150 for one you may as well spend a little more and get something even better.

Yeah, and some folks have modded the KA PL into a good espresso grinder by making it stepless and swapping the stock burrs for Mazzer mini burrs. And this ol' Texan has very slim hopes of outliving a housefly!  ;)

Timothy

« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2009, 07:55:45 PM »
One can mod the Capresso Infinity to stepless also.
 http://lowendespresso.blogspot.com/
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 08:04:33 PM by Timothy »