Author Topic: First "Good" Grinder  (Read 2251 times)

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
Re: First "Good" Grinder
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2009, 08:20:05 PM »
In the long run, I think you'd be better served by the KA.  Burrs can be replaced for ~$30 in a matter of minutes, parts should always be available, and it'll outlive most of us (especially that ol' Texan)  :)    I'd bet most of those grinders around $100, i.e., Saeco, Baratza, Capresso, etc., if you took them apart you see the same motor, the same burrs, the same plastic.  But I'd shop around and wait for a deal on the KA; if you're going to pay more than $150 for one you may as well spend a little more and get something even better.

Yeah, and some folks have modded the KA PL into a good espresso grinder by making it stepless and swapping the stock burrs for Mazzer mini burrs. And this ol' Texan has very slim hopes of outliving a housefly!  ;)

Now you have my ears perked up!  I wonder what it takes to swap Mazzer burrs into a KA.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline MMW

• Standard User
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2009, 07:31:12 AM »
Me too.  I'd drop my Rossi in a heart beat if the KA could be made to do real espresso.  I really like the foot print of the KA  ;D

I had one of those cheap Capresso mills before the KA...I hated it with a passion.  It was loud.  It was messy.  And you could never, ever get that thing clean enough.
"During the early 19th century, most Americans subsisted on a diet of pork, whiskey, and coffee.  ----- Where did we go wrong?

cycler2

Thank You
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2009, 09:45:42 AM »
Thanks, everyone, for your helpful ideas all of which I considered.  I spent far too much time looking for a used Mazzer, but could not find a suitable one.  I also thought hard about the $99 Capresso but, in the end, I decided on the KA.  I found one at everythingkitchens.com for $159.99 with free shipping.  I ordered the onix (black) version, which looks way cool.  It should be here next week. 

Now I need to replace my aging Krups Aroma coffee maker.  I know there's another thread here on this topic.  I'll just say I may bite the bullet, pony up for a Technivorm, and avoid my usual endless research.  But maybe I'll look at the Krups Power Brew, or...  Stop me before I use too much bandwidth.   ;D

Thanks, again, for your help.

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2009, 09:48:07 AM »
You may want to start a new thread, you'll get more input based on thread title.

How much coffee do you need to brew?  Does it have to be a typical dripper?
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline MMW

• Standard User
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2009, 09:48:31 AM »
Brewers that operate at 195-205 F

That ought to get you started.  ;D

(Here comes the manual pour over brigade  :P)
"During the early 19th century, most Americans subsisted on a diet of pork, whiskey, and coffee.  ----- Where did we go wrong?

Tex

« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2009, 09:52:17 AM »

Yeah, and some folks have modded the KA PL into a good espresso grinder by making it stepless and swapping the stock burrs for Mazzer mini burrs. And this ol' Texan has very slim hopes of outliving a housefly!  ;)

Now you have my ears perked up!  I wonder what it takes to swap Mazzer burrs into a KA.

Two links about modding the KA PL grinder to use Mazzer Mini burrs;
http://www.home-barista.com/grinders/modifying-kitchenaid-proline-to-hold-mazzer-mini-burrs-t2811.html
http://coffeegeek.com/forums/espresso/grinders/323700

remember, Google is your friend! 8)

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2009, 10:03:49 AM »
(Here comes the manual pour over brigade  :P)

Unbeatable.    8)

The new kid looks really good too. More class and heat retention...why haven't I ordered yet?  :-X
« Last Edit: September 02, 2009, 10:10:49 AM by John F »
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Offline harryho

• Standard User
  • It's a bit Nutty!!!
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2009, 10:04:34 AM »
From reading those mods, I take it that the reason why the Kitchen-Aid does not grind fine enough to grind for espresso is that the burrs do not get close enough.

I wonder if fixing that problem would be enough instead of going through the process of this mod.

Offline MMW

• Standard User
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2009, 10:09:15 AM »

Unbeatable.    8)

The new kid looks really good too.

Hate to say I told ya so, but... :P

yorel23

« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2009, 10:11:48 AM »

Unbeatable.    8)
The new kid looks really good too.

Can't argue with excellence!! :notworthy:

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2009, 10:14:27 AM »

I am an ambassador for the truth.  ;D
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Offline YasBean

• Standard User
  • Lever that sucker!
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2009, 09:29:38 AM »
From reading those mods, I take it that the reason why the Kitchen-Aid does not grind fine enough to grind for espresso is that the burrs do not get close enough.

I wonder if fixing that problem would be enough instead of going through the process of this mod.
Wow!  That KA looks suspiciously like my Flying Eagle grinder from Taiwan.  I have been wondering about switching out the burrs, as mentioned here.  In fact, the Flying Eagle burrs have two holes, too, and the burr size is 58mmx33mm.  Hmm... :-\ To drill or not to drill?
Londinium L1, Bullet R1, Compak E8, VBM DB, Vario, Hario Vac