Author Topic: Paper Filters for the Hario V60, "Aroma" brand vs. Hario  (Read 3743 times)

Offline rasqual

• Standard User
  • Chaser of Midwest farmers' daughters
Re: Paper Filters for the Hario V60, "Aroma" brand vs. Hario
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2009, 07:34:10 AM »
Thanks to B|J for the filters.

He sent a few of the brown Hario filters.

Yesterday I used one for a test. Using two cups partly full of hot-hot water, I immersed one of them in one, and several Aeropress filters in the other (approximating the Hario's surface area).

I tasted both while hot, and then again when cool. I did not remove the paper.

When cool, both were objectionable. Not a surprise.

When hot, however, the brown Hario did impart the characteristic "brown flavor" to the water. But it was a lot less than you'd expect if you were accustomed to how this flavor can be imparted by other filters, such as brown Melitta filters (I have found them to be dreadful in years past).

Quick take: The brown Harios might be passable for folks who would hate Melitta browns.

I'll be testing today with actual coffee and the white Hario filters as well, brewing in the knock-off dripper that's a bit like the Hario. Why not the Hario dripper I purchased, you ask?

Because the ironing board fell on it and broke it in a freak accident.

The freak was wearing a mask and smelled of cheese. I'm still investigating.    ;D

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2009, 07:41:25 AM »
I wish you would have "washed" the filter first and tested in plain water.

Same with testing it head to head against a Melittia brown...and a white oxy for that matter.

Your plain water test it onto something... Testing "washed" filters with 4~ min. contact with/without coffee and brown vs oxy would be a super interesting experiment.
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Offline rasqual

• Standard User
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2009, 08:10:28 AM »
Say what?

You mean try the filters after an initial rinse? True, that does approximate actual usage better. It would resolve the question of whether a rinse does the trick.

BTW, the white Hario filters aren't all that white. They're nowhere near the brown side of things, but no muy blanco either.

edit: Argh. My test will be delayed a day.

Meanwhile, here's a picture illustrating how a Melitta is easily adapted for brewing with these Hario drippers.

« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 10:46:28 AM by rasqual »

BoldJava

« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2009, 03:37:15 PM »
I wish you would have "washed" the filter first and tested in plain water.

Same with testing it head to head against a Melittia brown...and a white oxy for that matter.

Your plain water test it onto something... Testing "washed" filters with 4~ min. contact with/without coffee and brown vs oxy would be a super interesting experiment.

+1.  Every paper filter I use is first rinsed with boiling water, while in the kettle, Chemex, cone, etc.,  prior to use, per general suggestions on many sites.  That is the process I used for the cupping discussed above.

B|Java
« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 03:40:22 PM by BoldJava »

Offline rasqual

• Standard User
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2009, 05:03:44 AM »
+1.  Every paper filter I use is first rinsed with boiling water, while in the kettle, Chemex, cone, etc.,  prior to use, per general suggestions on many sites.  That is the process I used for the cupping discussed above.

It's such a simple, commonsense thing to do.

Slowly pour water over the cone, over the cup.
Grind coffee.
Empty the now-preheated cup.
Brew in the now-preheated dripper.
Enjoy hot coffee.

The Daughtum was sick yesterday, so I wasn't at work where the filters you sent were awaiting my return. I'll test there today. I may enlist a couple other palates in something blind; we'll see.

BoldJava

« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2009, 05:31:28 AM »

It's such a simple, commonsense thing to do.

Slowly pour water over the cone, over the cup.
Grind coffee.
Empty the now-preheated cup.
Brew in the now-preheated dripper.
Enjoy hot coffee.

Exactly.  Cleans the paper while heating the dripper and the cup.

B|Java

Offline rasqual

• Standard User
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2009, 10:15:53 AM »
OK, results are in.

This was a water tasting exercise, with no coffee involved. Three women and three men assisted. I gave general instructions about scoring, allowing for some flexibility (see below).

The procedure was to use heated carbon filtered water from our office's water dispenser, boil it in a clean pitcher in the microwave, and pour it through each filter into a clean glass, using the dripper. These in turn were distributed among numerous small styrene cups (not ideal, but I selected these particular ones as sample cups for my coffee booth because they seem to introduce no off flavors). The cups were marked on the bottom. I also removed the filter from the dripper and placed it in the glass for about 90 seconds, in each case, to steep.

A control cup was poured across the surface of the empty dripper, into the glass, with no filter involved.

The pours were conducted quickly, so that the temperatures in each cup would be comparable as the subjects were sampling them. All subjects sampled the water and formed judgments within the first 5 minutes after receiving the cups. The water was, in my judgment, between 110 and 140 while being evaluated. Subjects were free to sample them in any order, as often as they wished. A couple of the subjects, informed in advance of the test, took pains to clear their palates from morning snacks and beverages.

HW   MW   HB   MB   control
Lindaokokokokok
Nickiokyesokno!yes
Nicolenoyesnonoyes
Chucknoyes
Jimyes
Scott42103

Nicki's exclamation point wasn't surprising, since she exhibited a visceral negative reaction to the brown color the Melitta brown filter (aka: cardboard) suffused into the water.   :P   One note: the brown Melittas I used are actually several years old. The paper may actually have degraded in a way that results in worse flavors, than had I used such filters fresh from the store. However, the white Melittas are at least two years old as well, and look how they fared.

Assigning points, let's go with 3 for yes, 2 for ok, 1 for blank, and a -1 for no (an arbitrary weirdness, but what the heck -- we have to defeat indifference somehow). And let's make emphatic nos a -2. I'll leave my numbers as they are. We can cancel out Linda entirely, I see. That yields:

Nicki232-23
Nicole-13-1-13
Chuck11-131
Jim11311
Scott42103

This yields:

Summary7104111

The Melitta whites nearly tied the winning control, with the Hario whites close behind, followed by the Hario brown and then the Melitta brown.

My own scores surprised me for a couple reasons: First, I scored pretty much according to my already-established judgment of all these filters (the inversion of the control and the HW was the only oddity). Secondly, my final lineup came after some furious secondary taste-offs between cup pairs, and I had to shrug a couple times as I settled on my preferences. To have nailed it just so, having thus shrugged, is interesting.

Score the results differently if my method seems odd, arbitrary or, perhaps, insane. Personally, I prefer the Hario Whites. However, the Melitta whites faired as well as the control -- which is really interesting. The browns both have two negative votes against 'em. As for Nicole's vote against the white Hario, I shall be dealing with her on that.   

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2009, 10:20:48 AM »
I use Melitta whites.  8)
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2009, 11:10:28 AM »
I always wished I could date a gal named Nicki.

The test should have another phase; tastings done after the filters are pre-rinsed, and final water tastings in a black mug so no one can see brown water.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline rasqual

• Standard User
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2009, 11:35:24 AM »

You'd wish you could have dated this one, too.     ;)

The test should have another phase; tastings done after the filters are pre-rinsed, and final water tastings in a black mug so no one can see brown water.

Hang on, I'll dig 'em out . . .       ;D

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2009, 12:46:25 PM »

You'd wish you could have dated this one, too.     ;)

;D ;D ;D ;D

That was funny.

Lee Morrison

BoldJava

« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2009, 06:25:42 PM »
This yields:

HW      MW      HB      MB      control
Summary   7   10   4   1   11

Are these Cook County results or DuPage County?  Regardless, I would suggest a recount, knowing Illinois voting history <grin>.

Here is Nicole, serving one of Raqual's infamous panel.

B|Java
« Last Edit: September 16, 2009, 06:45:59 PM by BoldJava »

Offline rasqual

• Standard User
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2009, 08:04:53 PM »
Alas, since no coffee was involved this happy prospect remained unlikely: