Author Topic: Pourover Throwdown, Lake Cheddar  (Read 5409 times)

BoldJava

Pourover Throwdown, Lake Cheddar
« on: October 11, 2009, 08:01:40 AM »
Just a follow-up endorsement for the #1 Hario ceramic pourover.  What a slick, functional, clean piece of art.  I have been using it all weekend to try and re-try a cup of this, a cup of that.  Love the convenience, the feel, the cup.  Back in stock at the end of October (everyone out -- boat arrives this month).  I have been using the Hario filters and

http://www.intelligentsiacoffee.com/store/product/id/3206

At Friday's cupping, we had some idle chatter about a future drip-off in Lake Cheddar featuring:

Wild Bill (StrayClaySpray Drippers ®) vs.
Peter's Sweetmaria's CCD (not the Baltimore Catechism) vs.  
B|Java's Hario Ceramic

Need to work on the logistics and how to drip this one off but stay tuned.  Betting line will be found here:
http://covers.com under "3 Big Drips."

Wild Bill:  http://xrl.us/WildBillDripz (Link to strayclay.com)
Peter's Best Hope:  http://xrl.us/PeterBrewz (Link to www.sweetmarias.com)
B|Java's Entrant:  http://xrl.us/BJavaOddzOnFav (Link to www.greencoffeebuyingclub.com)

B|Java
« Last Edit: October 13, 2009, 05:23:57 PM by BoldJava »

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2009, 11:36:52 AM »
I can already tell you how it's going to turn out.

Also, I'm glad the CCD isn't my creation, so it doesn't appear that I'm hyping my own gizmo.

Other pour-overs cannot compete.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline rasqual

• Standard User
  • Chaser of Midwest farmers' daughters
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2009, 08:06:51 AM »
I will not be rooting for the Hario . . .

. . . because that would be unseemly prophetic* triumphalism.      ;D

* actually not -- it requires no prophetic powers to augur the outcome of this unfair fight, with two hobbled mules pulling against an in-the-flush-of-youth Belgian powerhouse.     ;D ;D ;D ;D

edit: Actually, I found a picture of all three contestants:

« Last Edit: October 12, 2009, 08:10:44 AM by rasqual »

BoldJava

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2009, 03:56:50 AM »
This month's issue of Barista magazine has a great two page layout/article on the V60 Ceramic.  Doug Hermann lays out "Unlocking the Hario."  Very well done, but if you read this thread -- with Rasqual's discussion of individual brewing control, and my methodology -- well, you read it here first.  The author goes too light on grams of coffee (IMHO) but that is back to control.  Maybe he is slowing the pour more than I do.

Just looked and it is posted in their online content, pp 62-63.

http://baristamagazine.epubxpress.com/bam1

RE:  Peter and WildBill's pourover challenge - Nary a word from either of them.  Hario stands tall and unchallenged. Similar discussion over at coffeed.com.  http://www.coffeed.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=2941

B|Java

« Last Edit: October 22, 2009, 04:33:38 AM by BoldJava »

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
  • Roaster: 4# RK Drum
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2009, 05:48:49 AM »
Don't run out and buy a Hario just yet...

I'm happy to let everyone know that I have been working on a small distro of Hario pour over products. Since this will be my first distro for the club, available quantities will be kept light. The items are expected to ship in early November. I will post a thread in the group buy section within the next day or so.

BoldJava

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2009, 05:52:36 AM »
Don't run out and buy a Hario just yet...

I'm happy to let everyone know that I have been working on a small distro of Hario pour over products. Since this will be my first distro for the club, available quantities will be kept light. The items are expected to ship in early November. I will post a thread in the group buy section within the next day or so.

Hey man, I was just pumpin' up the presale <grins>.

B|Java

Offline peter

• Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2009, 09:08:54 AM »

RE:  Peter and WildBill's pourover challenge - Nary a word from either of them.  Hario stands tall and unchallenged.

B|Java

You may have misconstrued my statement that the Hario offers nothing in the way of a challenge to the Clever Coffee Dripper as silence on my part.  If your position is that the Hario has game, then I suggest you set the time and date for the throw-down, buster.

I will roast up sufficient quantity of three different beans, and bring along my dripper and my water kettle.  With only a little luck, we should be able to do some side by side slurps.

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2009, 03:08:57 PM »

RE:  Peter and WildBill's pourover challenge - Nary a word from either of them.  Hario stands tall and unchallenged. Similar discussion over at coffeed.com.  http://www.coffeed.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=2941

B|Java

I would like to schedule that "pour down" to coincide with a trip to Cheddar Lake to pick up some greens...  (and maybe a clever brewer) and some reportedly good chicken...

I think the pour over brew time is in the filter (for consistency) and in the bean roast, grind, ambient humidity, air pressure as well... that said... the flutes or no flutes can change the time and no flute would slow down.. to me tat is good, the clever  is a happy compromise between the complexity of a french press and the convenience of the pour over...

BoldJava

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2009, 03:26:59 PM »
Neither the Chimp nor the Chump scare the Hario.  Bring it on boys.

B|Champ

Offline peter

• Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2009, 03:46:08 PM »
Wild Bill has hinted at bringing his lovely this way on a Sunday.  We should let them pick a day and time, as our guests, and go from there.

Maybe B|Bookie should lay some odds for those who want to ride the back of the Clever to instant wealthdom.

Offline rasqual

• Standard User
  • Chaser of Midwest farmers' daughters
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2009, 02:07:40 PM »
This month's issue of Barista magazine has a great two page layout/article on the V60 Ceramic.  Doug Hermann lays out "Unlocking the Hario."  Very well done, but if you read this thread -- with Rasqual's discussion of individual brewing control, and my methodology -- well, you read it here first.  The author goes too light on grams of coffee (IMHO) but that is back to control.  Maybe he is slowing the pour more than I do.

Just looked and it is posted in their online content, pp 62-63.

http://baristamagazine.epubxpress.com/bam1

LOL

"The major advantage of the Hario V60 is that so many variables are under the control of the barista."

Yep.

Of course, Bill's been making full-open bottoms with his ceramic pourovers too, so he's on his way to the same territory. I'd merely express a preference for less expensive, non-"foldover" filters (contra Chemex -- I've always found the single-layer/triple-layer consequence of starting with flat paper odd for two reasons). I think a conicity that would accommodate Melittas would be just about perfect. And Bill? Fluting, dude.     ;)

OTOH, if the Hario catches on, right-angle filters will doubtless get cheaper as competition for that market heats up. And while the Melitta can be adapted to the Hario conicity with a single fold, the opposite is not true. Riding the Hario's popularity and availing oneself of popular filters may mean designing for that.

BoldJava

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2009, 02:50:41 PM »
OTOH, if the Hario catches on, right-angle filters will doubtless get cheaper as competition for that market heats up. . .

HeadChange's pending distro will be the precipitating event that sets the theme for the 2012 presidential election:

"...and a Hario V60 ceramic in every home."

B|Java

Offline peter

• Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2009, 02:59:36 PM »
OTOH, if the Hario catches on, right-angle filters will doubtless get cheaper as competition for that market heats up. . .

HeadChange's pending distro will be the precipitating event that sets the theme for the 2012 presidential election:

"...and a Hario V60 ceramic in every home."

B|Java

But don't we owe it to the members to fully explore the issue and crown a reigning dripper?

Not everyone wants to own as many toys as B|ToyKing, nor should they be left to do all the experimenting on their own.

If Bill can't make it up soon for a 3-way play-off, I say the Clever and the Hario go toe to toe on the 30th.  Bill... ?

BoldJava

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2009, 04:49:57 PM »

If Bill can't make it up soon for a 3-way play-off, I say the Clever and the Hario go toe to toe on the 30th.  Bill... ?

3-way or nothing at all.  If we go head-to-head without him, we will listen to him cry and blow smoke all Winter at the rest of the club with, "...if only's..."

I have Friday, my place reserved, for that funnel-headed pourover from the South and you.  If WildBill can't make it, we will reschedule so he doesn't worm his way out.  I have never really SEEN one of his funnel cake drippers.  I wonder if they really exist or if he will need to scramble and bake one up this week?  

B|NotAfraid

« Last Edit: October 24, 2009, 07:00:52 PM by BoldJava »

Offline peter

• Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2009, 07:14:34 PM »
Young Bill has some steady work again, I hear.  My guess is he's a long shot.  My other guess is he's been talking about a Sunday drive to the Chicken Shack over her w/ Mrs. Bill...