Author Topic: espresso machine tip #1012  (Read 690 times)

Tex

espresso machine tip #1012
« on: November 15, 2009, 02:07:01 PM »
Cleaning/descaling/restoring your espresso machine and decided to soak the heating element in descaling solution, but after you reassembled everything the GFCI circuit trips? It seems the elements are sealed against water intrusion only on the parts that contacts water - the exterior parts will let water in and create ground shorts.

This is a common problem and happens with consumer/prosumer/commercial machines alike. No problem: Simply stick the heating element in a 350°F oven and let it heat up for a few hours. Once you hook everything up it'll be good as new! Another option is to plug the machine into a circuit without a GFCI and let it come up to temp, then let it sit idle at operating temps for a few hours (just be careful - this method is passing electricity through the machine and if you touch it you could get shocked!).

Next tip: I'm open to suggestions - what causes you problems?

« Last Edit: November 15, 2009, 02:10:28 PM by Tex »

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
Re: espresso machine tip #1012
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2009, 02:12:05 PM »
You're just a wealth of information Robert.  When you writing some books on espresso machine maintenance?

:)
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

Tex

Re: espresso machine tip #1012
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2009, 02:21:28 PM »
No book forthcoming.

Without defaming them all, have you had your machine serviced by an espresso shop? I'm embarrassed to admit that I've been referring friends to a local repair center that I thought was knowledgeable and reputable. They sold a new heating element to a friend after the shop soaked the old one in citric acid solution to descale it ($285 for something they didn't need!).

I was so pissed that I'm looking for another reputable repair shop. In the meantime a word to the wise on various forums might save someone some $$$!