Author Topic: Minute rice in grinder... not so good  (Read 2036 times)

Offline bobvilax2000

• Standard User
Minute rice in grinder... not so good
« on: December 29, 2009, 06:11:25 AM »
Has anyone here actually tried this? Last night I bought some Minute Rice and I thought I'd give it a go in my espresso grinder this morning. It jammed up my grinder! I took the burr assembly apart to try and see what exactly jammed up, but all I could think was that maybe the rice was a little gummier than coffee and managed to wedge itself in the "coffee projectors". It's all good now, but what a pain first thing in the morning. Good thing I wasn't low on coffee trying to dial that thing in. Maybe it works at a coarser setting, but it's not worth it for me to try again.

- -Barrett

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
  • Roaster: 4# RK Drum
Re: Minute rice in grinder... not so good
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2009, 07:00:53 AM »
I use rice almost exclusively to clean my Mazzer and I've never had any problems.

Offline bobvilax2000

• Standard User
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2009, 07:28:41 AM »
Hm. Maybe I used too much? I just poured some in, but it was probably just under the volume of coffee I'd use for a shot.
I do have to say though, for the second that the rice did come out before it jammed, that stuff was pretty speckled with old coffee.

- -Barrett

Offline foreRB

• Standard User
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2009, 07:29:54 AM »
I have used brown rice to clean out my Rancillo with no problems. I am just speculating here, but if you used "minute" rice it probably has been pre-cooked to shorten the cooking time and that could have contributed to causing the jambing.

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
  • Roaster: 4# RK Drum
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2009, 07:56:50 AM »
I've read that Minute Rice is better for cleaning grinders, but I don't do instant rice. I mostly use Nishiki brand at home and that's what I run through my grinder.

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2009, 08:17:13 AM »
Barrett,

Next time, don't cook it.   ;)

And feed it in with the grinder already running.  That way, you'll be able to monitor if the grinder is choking.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline bobvilax2000

• Standard User
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2009, 08:42:10 AM »
Barrett,

Next time, don't cook it.   ;)

And feed it in with the grinder already running.  That way, you'll be able to monitor if the grinder is choking.

Ohhh, not cooked.  :)

I'll try adding it to the running grinder... eventually. I'm a little timid at this point.  :-X

Headchange,
I don't eat instant anything. I bought it specifically for this purpose. You use regular rice in your machine? I'd imagine that rice is no match for metal burrs, but it's still harder than a coffee bean. I guess it's no problem if you've been doing it for a while.

Thanks guys,
- -Barrett
« Last Edit: December 29, 2009, 08:46:23 AM by bobvilax2000 »

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2009, 10:26:19 AM »
also, the first grind out of it after cleaning it, might want to watch it carefully, or not put in your 15 dollar a pound coffee for the first grind after cleaning... rice will come out with it and it don't brew well  ;D

Aaron
As I have grown older, I have learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake!

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2009, 03:08:46 PM »
also, the first grind out of it after cleaning it, might want to watch it carefully, or not put in your 15 dollar a pound coffee for the first grind after cleaning... rice will come out with it and it don't brew well  ;D

Aaron

I can see the cupping notes now... (great Yemen flavor with a hint of ??? nutty?? no?? basmati :D

Tex

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2009, 03:26:19 PM »
There's no build up to speak of on the burrs, so all you're trying to do is eliminate the caked on grounds that collect on the burr edges and in the grind chamber. I've yet to see anything that gets that crap out, other than pulling the upper burr carrier and getting in there with wire brushes and dental picks.

A good brushing & vacuuming every week will go a long way in keeping a grinder clean.

ButtWhiskers

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2009, 03:39:05 PM »
I was told that the best way to clean burrs is with high-grown coffee that is taken to the first few snaps of the first crack.  It is much denser and harder at this point.  I know that when I made 'white lightning' espresso (I use high-grade washed robusta beans roasted to 350°), it sure sounded like it was doing a number on my Mazzer...  I tried the minute rice thing a couple of times before, which visually cleaned up the burrs, but it took a couple ounces of coffee to get the all of the rice remnants out of the system, and didn't noticeably improve the grind.

Offline bobvilax2000

• Standard User
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2009, 06:39:26 PM »
so all you're trying to do is eliminate the caked on grounds that collect on the burr edges and in the grind chamber.

And that's what I found when I took apart the burr assembly. It was by no means bad, but it was there. I used my group brush to get it all off.

Though I was cursing my decision this morning, it did shock me how much the old coffee clashed against the rice. I feel that I do a good job brushing out the chute, but there was quite a bit of coffee. I got to thinking about a link that Staylor posted a few weeks ago.
http://www.jimseven.com/2009/12/12/7-tips-for-dialling-in-an-espresso-blend/
Namely the "purging" part. Seems like a waste, but it guarantees a fresh shot.

- -Barrett

Offline doubleosoul

• Standard User
  • Blues ain't nothing but a good woman gone bad
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2009, 06:48:06 PM »
Minute rice is precooked and not good to use - thus the gumming up. I use brown rice that I store in the freezer (brown rice goes rancid fast). My Mazzer gummed up from a new batch of beans this morning. I ran a small handful of frozen brown rice through it and it unclogged like a champ.
"Why don't you come on board Brother, and believe in me? And for a small fee, I'll set you free, near thy God to thee." Daddy Rich/Car Wash/Richard Pryor

Tex

« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2009, 08:13:46 PM »
so all you're trying to do is eliminate the caked on grounds that collect on the burr edges and in the grind chamber.

And that's what I found when I took apart the burr assembly. It was by no means bad, but it was there. I used my group brush to get it all off.

Though I was cursing my decision this morning, it did shock me how much the old coffee clashed against the rice. I feel that I do a good job brushing out the chute, but there was quite a bit of coffee. I got to thinking about a link that Staylor posted a few weeks ago.
http://www.jimseven.com/2009/12/12/7-tips-for-dialling-in-an-espresso-blend/
Namely the "purging" part. Seems like a waste, but it guarantees a fresh shot.

- -Barrett

Purging is of questionable value - I keep a hand vac on top the counter and every night I suck out the coffee in the grind chamber, chute, and doser. It doesn't get the caked on crap but it does get the stale loose stuff.

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2009, 06:10:16 AM »
Purging is of questionable value -

It is...

And those that purge have answered that question and are striving for total excellence.

I'll admit that I don't purge (unless I make a mistake) but just typing this out makes me want to. :-\
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison