Author Topic: Minute rice in grinder... not so good  (Read 2035 times)

GC7

Re: Minute rice in grinder... not so good
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2009, 07:11:54 PM »
Minute rice works fine to clean the burrs.

Grindz works better.

The key to using both without stressing the grinder is to set it to a course grind akin to drip settings.

Neither is a substitute for taking the burrs apart and giving the inside a good cleaning and removing old rancid coffee debris every couple of months.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2009, 10:53:29 AM by GC7 »

Offline Alan

• Standard User
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2009, 07:15:35 AM »
I bought instant rice to clean my grinders.  So far it's work well.  Instant rice is cooked rice but is then desiccated so it's very dry and doesn't have the natural oils found in raw rice.   It's done a good job of leaving my burrs very clean and removes coffee oils.   I just blow out and small amount of rice with an air compressor when I'm done.  The only problem I have is buying it.  For someone who uses very little processed foods, I feel very self conscious with that big box of instant rice in my cart.  Shudder to think of eating it.

yorel23

« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2009, 07:18:18 AM »
I think most rices will work (instant or regular).  The gumming up comes in when you grind to fine.

Offline sea330

• Standard User
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2009, 11:50:56 AM »
I just take the grinder out to the garage and blow it out good with the air compressor, wipe it down, and i am good to go. haven't had any issues. I have a Baratza Virtuoso for about a year now works like a champ.

Tex

« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2009, 01:07:23 PM »
I just take the grinder out to the garage and blow it out good with the air compressor, wipe it down, and i am good to go. haven't had any issues. I have a Baratza Virtuoso for about a year now works like a champ.

Just be careful - I got a blast of grounds in my eyes and it hurt like the devil! >:D

Offline sea330

• Standard User
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2009, 02:51:01 PM »
Oh ya, I will start using  glasses Thanks for the advise.