Author Topic: High supply voltage for roasting  (Read 773 times)

Offline Coffeefreak

• Standard User
High supply voltage for roasting
« on: February 14, 2010, 01:13:33 PM »
In my area, I have been measuring the open circuit voltage in the mid 125V area using a KILL A WATT, which I checked against an accurate reference source to be accurate. When I called our power company and told them that I thought that the normal voltage should be more like 120V, they told me that 125+ is correct, because I am close to the sub-station.

My question revolves around the very short roast times that I am getting with my FreshRoast Plus.
Usually, it takes a little less than 2 minutes to reach first crack, when I rotate to the cool cycle for 15 seconds and then back to the roast cycle for a little less than another two minutes to reach FC or FC+.

Not being anxious to invest in a massive Variac nor having much space for one, do my more knowledgeable fellow roasters think that having a lower supply voltage would make much difference?

Thanks

tpijag

Re: High supply voltage for roasting
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2010, 01:49:38 PM »
Obviously pretty fast.

Depending on where I roast [poppery I], I do see similar voltages and believe voltage reduction can help. Also very helpful to me has been the separation of the heat from the fan so that I can pulse heat off when needed.

But it is not a clear relationship. You must keep in mind that less voltage will equate to not only both lower heat but also slower fan speeds.

I pretty much always plug in at the end of at least a 25 foot 16 gauge extension cord and oftentimes use one of my 50foot cords with good effect. If you got one lying about, try it.

Please note all known disclaimers about electricity - soft gooey warm inappropriate gauge cords - fires etc.

I'm sure someone with more direct knowledge of your roaster will chime in.

YMMV

terry

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2010, 01:52:48 PM »
I don't know anything about electricity but you have to extend that 2min out one way or another.

I think a long extension cord is a quick/easy way to start but it may prematurely burn up the FR.....cost of doing business.  :-\
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2010, 01:56:04 PM »
From my experience, instead of investing in a variac, you'd be better off plugging in a SC/TO.

<oh, a wise guy, eh?>
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2010, 01:57:25 PM »
The voltage will make a difference but 125 is actually very good.  Most roasters will control to a certain temperature, so if it's  hitting the temp it should be 'throttling down' to maintain it.  Either way if you want to experiment, plug your coffee roaster into an extension cord to drop the voltage and see if that makes any significant difference for you.

Aaron
As I have grown older, I have learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake!

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2010, 01:59:55 PM »
From my experience, instead of investing in a variac, you'd be better off plugging in a SC/TO.

That was good.  ;D
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison