Author Topic: West Bend Stir Crazy for Sale  (Read 1465 times)

yorel23

West Bend Stir Crazy for Sale
« on: March 26, 2010, 06:36:02 AM »
For anyone thinking of going the SC/TO roaster route, I have a brand new West Bend Stir Crazy that you can have for $20 plus shipping.  I bought it a few months ago planning to build an SC/TO for a sample roaster, but decided to go another route.  The box is a little beat up from storage, but the Stir Crazy is brand new.

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
Re: West Bend Stir Crazy for Sale
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2010, 06:46:57 AM »
Interesting ... what route did you decide to go?

:)
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

yorel23

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2010, 07:04:17 AM »
I went with a modded hot air popper, since the roasts in it would be more similar to the roasts in my Sonofresco.

Offline mp

• Standard User
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2010, 07:34:39 AM »
Good for you!

Got any pictures of your mods?

What mods did you do?

:)
lp, 7-Ski

yorel23

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2010, 07:39:56 AM »
I modded it just like the one in THIS ARTICLE.  I don't have any pictures, but the only difference between mine and the one in the article is that I have the white Poppery II.

Offline mp

• Standard User
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2010, 09:08:20 AM »
I modded it just like the one in THIS ARTICLE.  I don't have any pictures, but the only difference between mine and the one in the article is that I have the white Poppery II.

That's neat ... how much money and how long did it take you to build.  What is the capacity of beans it can handle?

???
lp, 7-Ski

yorel23

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2010, 09:42:09 AM »

That's neat ... how much money and how long did it take you to build.  What is the capacity of beans it can handle?

???

I think I'm about $15-20 and two hours total into building it as I already had the popper.

I use it mainly for cupping samples, so I only roast about 40g at a time.  However, I got my homeroasting start on a similar popper/roaster 5-6 years ago.  I would do about 70-90g at a time in that.  There are ways to make the roasting capacity larger (soup can extension and tilting the roaster, etc.) but I've never needed to do that and probably never will now that I have the Sonos.

hatethis

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2010, 10:16:25 AM »
Maybe this should be a diff thread, but....

Like you I chose a modded hot air popper over SC.  For capacity I find 125g with rotating the popper in a circle while held at an angle works best.  125g gives me a nice amount to sample in my syphon, pour and auto.

Offline mp

• Standard User
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2010, 01:12:10 PM »

???

I think I'm about $15-20 and two hours total into building it as I already had the popper.

I use it mainly for cupping samples, so I only roast about 40g at a time.  However, I got my homeroasting start on a similar popper/roaster 5-6 years ago.  I would do about 70-90g at a time in that.  There are ways to make the roasting capacity larger (soup can extension and tilting the roaster, etc.) but I've never needed to do that and probably never will now that I have the Sonos.

That is not bad at all.  Are you able to get the desired roast you want fairly easily?

???
lp, 7-Ski

yorel23

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2010, 08:21:01 AM »

That is not bad at all.  Are you able to get the desired roast you want fairly easily?

???

Pretty easily, if you know what to watch/listen for ;).

Back on topic.  Anybody interested?  If not, I'll just throw it on Ebay.  Thanks.