Author Topic: Cold Brew Filtron  (Read 2356 times)

BoldJava

Cold Brew Filtron
« on: April 13, 2010, 01:12:55 PM »
Houston, we have just the smallest problem.  The coffee bowl is missing.  I had it as a centerpiece on our cupping table this weekend.  Man, did I take some heat for buying the shortened version of the 1930 model.  (Note:  In the picture below, I merely put a water glass into the center staging area to quiet down the thunderous sarcasm that was coming my way.  It dampered the decibels coming from the guests but it certainly can't put out any coffee.

I have the day off so I am scrumming for a replacement for the bowl.  I think this is going to be a fruitless search.  The successor to the glass coffee globe (missing on mine) was a plastic coffee globe.  It too is prone to busting.

I called Filtron and talked with the guy that ID'd my photo as a 1930, original real McCoy. He asked, "Did you know you are missing the coffee globe?"  I asked him if he knew Milo or Chad. Collusion afield. He states that if I had an original coffee dome, it sells for $175 (that's a moot point!).  The current Filtron coffee globes will not fit this model. 

Not to worry -- the hunt continues.  The Czarina wants to use it for a planter or terrarium.  Humppfff...

B|Java

Tex

Re: Cold Brew Filtron
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2010, 01:20:32 PM »
Houston, we have just the smallest problem.  The coffee bowl is missing.  I had it as a centerpiece on our cupping table this weekend.  Man, did I take some heat for buying the shortened version of the 1930 model.  (Note:  In the picture below, I merely put a water glass into the center staging area to quiet down the thunderous sarcasm that was coming my way.  It dampered the decibels coming from the guests but it certainly can't put out any coffee.

I have the day off so I am scrumming for a replacement for the bowl.  I think this is going to be a fruitless search.  The successor to the glass coffee globe (missing on mine) was a plastic coffee globe.  It too is prone to busting.

I called Filtron and talked with the guy that ID'd my photo as a 1930, original real McCoy. He asked, "Did you know you are missing the coffee globe?"  I asked him if he knew Milo or Chad. Collusion afield. He states that if I had an original coffee dome, it sells for $175 (that's a moot point!).  The current Filtron coffee globes will not fit this model. 

Not to worry -- the hunt continues.  The Czarina wants to use it for a planter or terrarium.  Humppfff...

B|Java

Maybe find an art glass blower willing to swap for a good supply of coffee?

BoldJava

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2010, 01:23:42 PM »

Tex, you are brilliant.  A deceased budd's son is a professional glass blower in Tennessee!  Completely forgot that till you posted. Woo-hoo.  Thank you.

B|Java

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2010, 01:30:05 PM »

Tex, you are brilliant.  A deceased budd's son is a professional glass blower in Tennessee!  Completely forgot that till you posted. Woo-hoo.  Thank you.

B|Java

In your excitement, we will forgive your zealous overstatement.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2010, 01:31:46 PM »

B|Java

How about smart man with good ideas?

???
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

yorel23

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2010, 01:47:53 PM »

B|Java

How about smart man with good ideas?

???

Closer, getting closer.  Smart ___ (fill in the blank) with _______ (fill in the blank) ideas.   ;D

BoldJava

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2010, 02:00:30 PM »
All I had to say was,

Houston, we have just the smallest problem.  The coffee bowl is missing.

and Houston solved the problem.  That's brilliant.

B|Hyperbolist

Tex

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2010, 02:08:04 PM »

B|Java

A man who recognizes genius when he spots it! You should be a Hollywood talent scout with those abilities.  ;D

Offline rasqual

• Standard User
  • Chaser of Midwest farmers' daughters
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2010, 01:46:48 PM »
A man who recognizes genius when he spots it! You should be a Hollywood talent scout with those abilities.  ;D

Well, the left coast could certainly use a few geniuses right now.    ;D

BoldJava

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2010, 05:59:25 PM »
Score.  eBay.

Look, Milo, it grew up.

B|Java

BoldJava

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2010, 06:49:10 AM »
Houston, we have problem corrected.  eBay'ed via a patient wait.  Score: Lake Cheddar 2, Seattle 1 (I took a valid, yet merciless verbal onslaught from a left-coaster when he visited over this item).  Game over <grins with the win>.

This beauty arrived yesterday, of all days, when the Czarina had off.  <Curses, foiled again>.  "What's that?"  My response was an idle "I don't know.  Let me move it and I will set the supper table."  I quickly whisked it into the former 3rd bedroom that is the coffee room and left it there.

This morning, as I am waiting on FedEx, I unwrapped this baby.  I can say that it has never been used.  There is a gasket that attaches to the top portion which drips the water.  It doesn't even have a crease or water stain.  There is also a screen in the same area without the first mineral deposit.  The extraction chamber (largest glass portion) is in the middle and was manufactured translucent.  

Knowing the pending conversation that the arrival of the Filtron would create, I also had the foresight to buy a 2nd copy of a favorite book of mine.  I have found it an invaluable resource at the office in working with managers who are conflict avoidant.  I thought I might need a copy at home.

Pumped.

B|Java
« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 07:08:59 AM by BoldJava »

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2010, 06:56:08 AM »
Are you expecting a battle royale with Mrs B|Java?

:)
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2010, 07:56:51 AM »
Are you expecting a battle royale with Mrs B|Java?

:)

B|Wisenheimer is much smarter than to take on the Czarina; there will be no battle royale in that house.

It may have been interesting 34 years ago, but today, nah.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

BoldJava

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2010, 08:43:40 AM »
Craig's List often has Filtrons;

http://springfield.craigslist.org/hsh/1791883269.html
http://saltlakecity.craigslist.org/bfs/1754138494.html
http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/for/1716413735.html

Only one of them is a vintage Filtron.  The other two are the plastic whamabams they are manufacturing under the Filtron label nowadays.

B|Java