Author Topic: Datalogging Software for Omega USB Thermometers  (Read 888 times)

dcmusichound

Datalogging Software for Omega USB Thermometers
« on: April 23, 2010, 08:46:27 AM »
I bought an Omega HH802U awhile back. I found that the graphing/datalogging software that Omega supplies for it is really quite poor. Luckily, one of my baristas is pretty handy with computer programing and was able to design me a software package. I have been using it for the past couple of months to plot my roasts in real time in addition to keeping a record of my roast profiles for future reference. The software is by no means perfect, but I have found it to be far more powerful and adaptable than Omega's. I don't know whether Omega uses a standardize communication protocol for all their usb and serially equipped thermometers, but I am happy to share this software with anyone on the list who wants to try it out.

Please consider this shareware. I would note that my barista devoted a lot of his personal time to developing this software, so if you do find it useful, I would encourage you to send him some token of appreciate. If interested, please PM me and I will send you a zip file and his paypal info.

Joel

JR_Germantown

Re: Datalogging Software for Omega USB Thermometers
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2010, 06:19:07 AM »
And this software runs on...
Windows?
Mac?
Linux?
???

Jack

dcmusichound

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2010, 06:30:47 AM »
The program is written for Processing (http://processing.org/download/) using LiveGraph libraries, so has the potential to work in any of those OS's. That said, I have read about problems getting the FTDI drivers needed to communicate with the Omega hardware working in non-Windows operating systems.

Joel

And this software runs on...
Windows?
Mac?
Linux?
???

Jack

jimec3

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2010, 08:35:24 PM »
Having just gotten a thermometer i was going to look into getting something like this written up.  I will give it a try on my tenma later this week.  Thanks!

Jim