Vendor Discussion Boards > Commercial Hardware discussion

Buckeye coffee roasters

<< < (2/9) > >>

hankua:

--- Quote from: peter on March 11, 2017, 03:04:56 PM ---I'm curious why you think a double-wall drum is a positive attribute...   not trying to threadjack or start a discussion...  just curious.

--- End quote ---

Great question!

I think one of the reasons for the double drum is to prevent scorching. On the flip side when you make a burner adjustment, it may take longer to take effect due to the air gap. Also assume this type setup has the burners under the rotation drum.

It's something seldom seen on smaller machines, maybe because it's not necessary?

Not to mention we're value shoppers here.... ;D

sea330:
I have always roasted on cast iron drum and never have had any scorching once I got the hang of it, have never roasted on a SS drum but I have purchased coffee from a guy that did and scorching was evident. I have been looking to upgrade from a 2K to a 10K, cast Iron would be a must.

Ascholten:
One would think a simple baffle plate / diffuser on the bottom could avoid most scorching, as well as learning your machine too :)  Cast iron has nice mass to it which helps for heat stability.

Aaron

donnie cole:

--- Quote from: peter on March 11, 2017, 03:04:56 PM ---I'm curious why you think a double-wall drum is a positive attribute...   not trying to threadjack or start a discussion...  just curious.

--- End quote ---
My thinking is that the double wall distribute heat more evenly and eliminate hot spots you might get on single wall. I'm this doesn't apply to the more expensive roasters.

hankua:

--- Quote from: sea330 on March 11, 2017, 04:05:15 PM ---I have always roasted on cast iron drum and never have had any scorching once I got the hang of it, have never roasted on a SS drum but I have purchased coffee from a guy that did and scorching was evident. I have been looking to upgrade from a 2K to a 10K, cast Iron would be a must.

--- End quote ---

There aren't many roaster lines with cast iron drums; Ozturk and Yang-Chia for example. I know the Feima/Yang-Chia dealer in Taipei, the top of the line 4K machine goes for around $10,000.

The Oro literature mentioned "cast steel" and there may be a translation issue. It looked like a stainless insert was bolted in place with the vanes welded on.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version