Author Topic: Electric Roasters  (Read 5887 times)

Offline mrgreenbean

• Standard User
Electric Roasters
« on: July 25, 2023, 04:50:13 AM »
Within the next six months I will be able to buy a new Roaster, I have been using a HotTop the past few years with no issues.
I really don’t have the ability to use a gas Roaster safely with out modifications to my home. So what is the best electric out there?

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
Re: Electric Roasters
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2023, 05:00:21 AM »
Well, to start out.  Can you please provide a bit more info?

Do you have 240 volt available?

How much do you plan on roasting a week / a month?

How big of a batch at a time do you plan on roasting, what would you like to be able to roast per batch?

What is your budget?

I love the Artisan roasters but they are considered more a commercial machine and not for everyone, but man oh man, so easy to work with.

Aaron
As I have grown older, I have learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake!

Offline ptrmorton

• Standard User
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2023, 11:04:33 AM »
Within the next six months I will be able to buy a new Roaster, I have been using a HotTop the past few years with no issues.
I really don’t have the ability to use a gas Roaster safely with out modifications to my home. So what is the best electric out there?

Aaron's questions are good ones and depending on the answers, my response might not be relevant.  However,  I went through this debate a couple of years ago and ended up with a gas roaster (Huky) because, given my needs, the cost/performance ratio was so ridiculously in favor of gas (including the cost of venting requirements).  I had a Hottop for years and loved it, but I wanted something more responsive to energy input and twice the batch size.  I liked a variety of electric roasters (Artisan was at the top of the list), but they were considerably more $$$ and/or required a 240V line.  I didn't have a 240V line readily available and my price point at the time was ~$1000 - $1200 for a one pound roaster.  A used Huky fit the bill and I love how responsive it is and easy it is to roast on.

Good luck with the hunt and please report back what you decide.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2023, 11:06:34 AM by ptrmorton »
AZ Peter

Proverbs 3:5-6

Offline mrgreenbean

• Standard User
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2023, 06:57:29 PM »
My batch’s are small, it’s just two of us. I do have a 220 outlet somewhere in my garage that I have never used. Budget 5,000 dollars. I have no vented hood available.

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2023, 10:19:42 PM »
The Artisan 3 e might be in your range then.  You may want to call them and talk to him on the phone personally to work out the details and maybe get a bit of a break on it, you never know!

I have found that we all tend to start small, and eventually want more, bigger, badder, meaner etc etc.  The A3 will do just that.  It looks like it will let you easily roast a half pound roast if you want, up to 3 lbs or more per batch as your needs / demands grow.

Trust me, right now you are roasting for you and wifey pooh, but once word gets out, the kids will want coffee, the friends will want coffee, the church will start mooching you for coffee etc etc.  you get the idea :D

Welcome to the rabbit hole!

Aaron
As I have grown older, I have learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake!

Offline mrgreenbean

• Standard User
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2023, 12:28:35 PM »
Will the Artisan roast in a cold garage during the winter months?

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2023, 03:47:30 PM »
Absolutely it will.  It has plenty of power to spare in fact will do a nice job of heating your garage up for you too!
When I was roasting in the cold ass months, what id actually do was when I threw my 5 lb batches onto the cooling tray Id wuff them for about 15 seconds to suck the smoke off of them and once it was clear id flip a damper i made to pipe it directly into my furnace ducting to push all that heat up into the house (why waste it?)   or if I didn't do that Id vent it outside then flip it to vent into the garage,  with the garage door closed id have the garage up in the 80s in no time.

The thing has probably a 6kw or 8 KW heating element in it.  That's a LOT of power there for heat!
The A6 can push about 11 kw at top end!

Aaron

Offline mrgreenbean

• Standard User
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2023, 01:56:36 PM »
One final question, what do you think of the Aillio Bullet?

Offline mrgreenbean

• Standard User
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2023, 02:02:41 PM »
The Huky does seem to be a reasonable contender. I think it’s been around for awhile. But I think it’s gas.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2023, 02:04:23 PM by mrgreenbean »

Offline ptrmorton

• Standard User
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2023, 02:21:34 PM »
The Huky does seem to be a reasonable contender. I think it’s been around for awhile. But I think it’s gas.

Yep, my Huky uses a propane burner.  I do 360 - 400g batches with great success.
FYI, I think Brian has a Bullet, which he likes, but he still keeps his Huky around  ;D .
« Last Edit: July 29, 2023, 02:25:46 PM by ptrmorton »
AZ Peter

Proverbs 3:5-6

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2023, 03:04:12 AM »
I have never used the bullet myself so can't give you any honest feedback on it.  I have not heard a lot of gripe over it either like I have on some of the other electric roasters.  That tends to be a good sign, because they are all too busy roasting coffee to complain about it !  :)

Hopefully one of our members who has one will be willing to chime in and give you some good info.

Aaron

Offline brianmch

• Distributor
  • Huky 500 J/ Artisan
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2023, 01:26:20 PM »
One final question, what do you think of the Aillio Bullet?

I have one and much prefer my Huky due to it being more manageable/responsive.

Offline mrgreenbean

• Standard User
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2023, 10:39:31 AM »
Who is the domestic contact for the Huky. ?

Offline mrgreenbean

• Standard User
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2023, 02:09:25 PM »
Is the Artisan easy to set up?

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2023, 02:22:23 PM »
the artisan is relatively easy to set up.  If you  need specifics, I really recommend giving them a call, tell them I sent you and he'll be more than happy to go over any specifics you may need.  Like,  for the ducting it'd take this clamp, to connect this to that you'll need a 5mm socket head etc etc stuff.

YOU will need to provide power to it,  so will need to put a cord / plug on it.  Otherwise the modules pretty much plug into each other. 

If you are going with a smaller unit just a cord with a 30 amp plug will work, make sure it's the proper plug.  If you are going with one of the bigger units Id recommend hard wiring it. or using a 14-50 nema outlet.

Aaron