Author Topic: Show Off your Espresso Machine  (Read 64417 times)

BoldJava

Re: Show Off your espresso Machine Here.
« Reply #90 on: January 21, 2008, 05:04:30 AM »
Marriage made in heaven, Mr. Macap 4 and Ms. Silvia.  Happy ever after.

B|Java

Offline YasBean

• Standard User
  • Lever that sucker!
« Reply #91 on: February 23, 2008, 05:08:02 PM »
Nothing fancy, but they make me happy.
Londinium L1, Bullet R1, Compak E8, VBM DB, Vario, Hario Vac

Glacier

« Reply #92 on: March 03, 2008, 02:00:45 PM »
In case I did not mention it (lately)....

note the 2007 GCBC Fantasy Football championship trophy/Mug on top of that little baby of mine!

;)

man it loves sitting up there!

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #93 on: March 03, 2008, 02:16:03 PM »

That is a great little setup.  I have had a FF machine and the Solis Maestro Pro (til I broke it...3 times).  :-[

Though I did not have them in a combo, I know they are each capable of nice espresso, and for a reasonable price and great aesthetics.

Offline YasBean

• Standard User
  • Lever that sucker!
« Reply #94 on: March 03, 2008, 02:33:31 PM »

That is a great little setup.  I have had a FF machine and the Solis Maestro Pro (til I broke it...3 times).  :-[

Though I did not have them in a combo, I know they are each capable of nice espresso, and for a reasonable price and great aesthetics.
Thank you!  Yes, although not perfect, once learned, the Solis does give a nice grind, and the FF is certainly a pretty little machine. 
Londinium L1, Bullet R1, Compak E8, VBM DB, Vario, Hario Vac

kwksilver

« Reply #95 on: March 31, 2008, 05:06:44 PM »
Ah, after seeing all that neatness and cleanliness i thought I needed to show what things look like when you are eccentric, poor, and such things.

One must respect the aluminum foil grounds tray and the Rinaldo knockbox (that's pure convenience I throw the knockbox away every time its full :p )

For your entertainment I also took a picture of my custom electrical work (my landlord is very tolerant of insane students?).
I always have a choice. I can either use my stove or the espresso machine. Since that machine takes LONG to come to heat, the day has two halves (and i insulated the living hell out of its internals I assure you).

Daylight: I drinks coffee
night: I has stove.

before bed the espresso machine gets the plug again...

I hope this entertained you.

Offline PaulM

• Standard User
  • "It's not easy being green"
« Reply #96 on: March 31, 2008, 05:28:01 PM »
Is that really a two group Cimbali? My hat is off to you sir! Very nice machine, and given that who cares about the mess!
Catch and release - into the grease!

kwksilver

« Reply #97 on: March 31, 2008, 06:13:00 PM »
Heeh yeah it is.
 I have a very tolerant fiancee :p
Since I am a properly poor cheapskate the thing was a  'unknown condition' (non-workign of course) ebay special.
The shipping part was really the greatest adventure. Although i had no idea what I got myself into,  it was fully rebuilt within two months (during first year of med school mind you. so i am guessing most folks could do this faster). now that I have involuntarily learned how to rebuild a commercial machine from ground up, I am happy to share manuals or gained knowledge if anybody is bored enough to do this :p

The machine is seriously fun btw.

Felix

Offline PaulM

• Standard User
  • "It's not easy being green"
« Reply #98 on: March 31, 2008, 08:51:04 PM »
Oh, that's excellent. Did you have to replace much or was it mostly just a good cleaning?

Just a thought about using the range receptacle for the machine: the breaker for that range is probably rated well above what is necessary for the espresso machine. Which is good because it won't ever nuisance trip. But it is also bad because that machine could be hanging off the wall on fire before the breaker would even think about tripping. So be careful!

Best,
Paul
Catch and release - into the grease!

kwksilver

« Reply #99 on: March 31, 2008, 11:09:29 PM »
I was very lucky. no spendy parts broken (pump heating element and worst case scenario the boiler are the only candidates that come to mind)
Total cost was this:
machine epay: $290
shipping $230 (freightquote)
parts and portafilter MAYBE $150  (that could have been a lot less if I had known everything i know now :p)

As I found my groove I realized that I could forego oem gaskets and use high quality things from the plumbing supply store.
Pretty much every single part in those commercial machines (pump, solenoids, everything really) comes from third parties and can be sourced very cheap that way. I didn't fully realize that price difference until some part into the endeavor.

I did learn that directionality of those solenoids is indeed a reality. (that manifested itself in the pump pressure routing partially into the boiler during shot pulls in the beginning. It also caused the hot water tap to be erratic, but that was easily detected.)

It took me some thinking to figure out why a machine would fill the boiler very well, not activate the overpressure but end up filling the boiler during  a shot until I understood the hydraulics of it.

OTHERWISE i have to say i really did take it apart completely, soak everything in HCL replace every gasket and put it back together. (taking a lot of pictures during tear-down was a major helper. Italian manuals are not German.)

The project sort of had distinct phases:

1.) look at complete non-functional machine.  Be afraid
2.) tear it apart cluelessly with growing enthusiasm
3.) realize if I had owned a 240V outlet and tried to plug it in it wouldn't have worked anyways...
4.) bathe everything in HCL
5.) screw everything together
6.) Be scared again
7.) turn it on, notice leaks.
8.) more leaks (everything seems leak free then the heater kicks in, pressure builds and leaks AGAIN.)
9.) finally pull a  shot...LEAKS (from pump pressure in hx lines, leaks at grouphead I)
10.) three days of teflon tape "seek n' destroy" and it was done.  (the leaks were all small dribbles or wet spots, no disasters or anything)

PS: the recipe for leak solving was the same everytime: drain tank, undo connection whip out telfon tape, rinse, repeat.

PPS: I have effectively hijacked this thread. i apologize I won't do any more of this. If anyone actually ends up caring. I have loads of pictures of the process and am happy to pm a moderator to move this stuff to its own thread and ill throw out the whole story with pictures. (it was pretty cool, and the insulation job i did inside in order to justify leaving it on 24hrs a day was kind of intense)

I hope someone got a kick out of this

Felix

PPPS: On the range receptacle.  My landlord Wanja and I traced the circuit and installed those plugs and the outlet.(He is from Yugoslavia I believe, but in America his name is John:p Extremely relaxed, brews his own beer) The machien originally had a NEMA LP630 plug.
It is a 50 amp independent circuit. The espresso machine can do 208-240V single or dual phase. at 240V single phase it is rated for 30Amp max. So far it has been trouble free. IT was the first time doing 240V work for Wanja or I. I realize that at this point all sorts of DIY red flags trigger...
We were very careful triple checked everything and did our homework prior. The receptacle plugs and so forth literally were our personal adventure into 240V circuits. (the espresso machine is a 3 wire deal, the circuit is up to current code so it had 4 wires)

Offline Monito

• Distributor
  • I have 4 coffee Roasters and I don't collect them!
« Reply #100 on: April 01, 2008, 10:00:29 PM »
Now, I feel part of this group!!!

Just acquired a beauty

Astoria Argenta SAE Junior/Automatic

Monito

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #101 on: April 02, 2008, 04:50:29 AM »
Congratulations Monito,

That machine really dwarfs your ginder.  How much does that beast weigh?

Ciao
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

Offline Monito

• Distributor
« Reply #102 on: April 02, 2008, 05:35:55 AM »
Congratulations Monito,

That machine really dwarfs your ginder.  How much does that beast weigh?

Ciao
A lot  :P 137 lbs, not counting the water softener.

Monito

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #103 on: April 02, 2008, 05:59:47 AM »
Yeah ... I figured it was over 100 pounds.  That is why I went with the Isomac.  I just did not want to go through the hassle of setting up a commercial machine ... and certainly couldn't position it under my kitchen counter top where she is now ... not to mention the plumb in for the water and drain out.

On the other hand I bet you are getting some great shots.

;D
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

Offline Monito

• Distributor
« Reply #104 on: April 02, 2008, 06:02:45 AM »
...snip...
On the other hand I bet you are getting some great shots.

;D
What a difference, I have a 50% Poco Fundo with 50% Sidamo Blend and the shots are impressive. I never had espressos like this before.

Monito