Author Topic: Show Off your Espresso Machine  (Read 66215 times)

Tex

Re: Show Off your Espresso Machine
« Reply #195 on: March 08, 2010, 08:26:16 PM »
A not-so great shot of my new setup.

Vibiemme Domo Double and Mazzer Mini-E

Down, down, the rabbit hole I fall....

One thing of note Chad, those gauges are probably not accurate UNLESS they were calibrated by the vendor before it was delivered. Bourdon gauges are infamous for getting knocked out of calibration by the bouncing and shocks that are common in shipping.

Since tuning an espresso machine is so critical to good espresso, I suggest borrowing an accurate portafilter pressure gauge to check the group pressure.

You said it's PID equipped, but it looks like the boiler pressure gauge is still hooked up, so I suggest not relying on it for the same reason. Seriously, I've checked gauges on a couple dozen machines and I've yet to find one that was dead-on accurate.

edited: That sounds like I'm a know-it-all - but really, all I'm trying to say is those gauges should be treated as suspect until proven otherwise.

« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 08:32:09 PM by Tex »

cfsheridan

« Reply #196 on: March 08, 2010, 08:39:23 PM »
Fair advice.  Left gauge is steam boiler pressure, right gauge is brew pump pressure, only useful during a shot or backflush.  PID and its thermocouple are on the top end of the brew boiler.  Plan to put Eric's gauge in to get a closer reading of the group temperature, as the brew boiler temp is likely 20°F higher or so than the temperature at the group.

Offline staylor

• Standard User
  • Back in Canada and the espresso still tastes good.
« Reply #197 on: March 08, 2010, 08:42:23 PM »
Haha, as you stand at the edge of the hole, does it look deep? ;-)

grover

« Reply #198 on: March 08, 2010, 08:52:18 PM »
I just picked this up. La Cimbala M29 start and Mazzar Mini Timer. My first espresso machine. Seems to me to be a well thought out machine. The pump had a stainless mesh filter that had what looked like dryer lint coating it. Rinsed that off and then found one of the group head selenoids was scaled up. I was amazed at how little scale was inside of every other fitting I opened up as I tried to trace the water flow problem. Works great now. Have ordered a new matched set of parker selenoid valve bodies and new group head gaskets. The small problems it had allowed me to get it for a very good price as it was not working.

Tex

« Reply #199 on: March 08, 2010, 08:54:14 PM »

That's rich; it NEVER looks as deep as it really is! >:D Let's make sure of his commitment to going over the edge before we tell him the truth. :occasion14:

Tex

« Reply #200 on: March 08, 2010, 09:00:36 PM »
I just picked this up. La Cimbala M29 start and Mazzar Mini Timer. My first espresso machine. Seems to me to be a well thought out machine. The pump had a stainless mesh filter that had what looked like dryer lint coating it. Rinsed that off and then found one of the group head selenoids was scaled up. I was amazed at how little scale was inside of every other fitting I opened up as I tried to trace the water flow problem. Works great now. Have ordered a new matched set of parker selenoid valve bodies and new group head gaskets. The small problems it had allowed me to get it for a very good price as it was not working.

Great espresso machine! I had a La Cimbali M32 Classic 2-group for 6 months (it just took up too much space). I'm convinced that La Cimbali makes a great HX machine.

It's cool the things folks practically throw away out of ignorance. Bad for them, but good for those of us willing to take a chance. I've worked on dozens of used machines and I've only seen one that needed more than a couple hundred dollars to get in working condition.

Offline staylor

• Standard User
  • Back in Canada and the espresso still tastes good.
« Reply #201 on: March 08, 2010, 09:21:37 PM »

That's rich; it NEVER looks as deep as it really is! >:D Let's make sure of his commitment to going over the edge before we tell him the truth. :occasion14:

You are right, it NEVER does. I think the Chadinator is going to dig it.

grover

« Reply #202 on: March 09, 2010, 03:39:59 AM »
Tex......I purchased this for my girlfriend who is opening a bookstore/coffeeshop and had asked you for advice earlier and you had given the advice that the machine is only a small part of the equation....perhaps the least important. She is roasting her own coffie now and has Cunhill grinders, and the Mazzar Mini if she needs it. I like the semi auto twist knobs on this machine and the massive group heads that transfer and hold the heat from the tank which is tucked up right next to them. It also came with a 8liter water softener which I notice you had endorsed on another forum.

thejavaman

« Reply #203 on: March 09, 2010, 05:01:11 AM »
A not-so great shot of my new setup.

Vibiemme Domo Double and Mazzer Mini-E

Down, down, the rabbit hole I fall....

Man, that's a nice looking set-up.  Congrats, Chad.

Offline dmankin

• Standard User
« Reply #204 on: March 09, 2010, 09:33:44 AM »
Welcome to the club, Chad!     ;D   There's no looking back now.  Enjoy

David

Tex

« Reply #205 on: March 09, 2010, 10:02:16 AM »
Welcome to the club, Chad!     ;D   There's no looking back now.  Enjoy

David

They're especially nice when they're working, right David? >:D

Offline dmankin

• Standard User
« Reply #206 on: March 09, 2010, 03:19:25 PM »
Amen, Brother!   :angel:

Offline YasBean

• Standard User
  • Lever that sucker!
« Reply #207 on: March 09, 2010, 07:41:48 PM »
Okay, okay! Now, I feel like l need to show off my new set-up.   It started last October, when l replaced my oh so cool but imprecise "Flying Eagle" grinder with a Baratza Vario.  That reveled to me that my problem may not have been the grinder, but the machine, so out with the Francis!Francis! X5, and in with the Vibiemme Super Double Boiler.  (See, dreams can come true!)

The problem is, l no longer have any excuses...
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 07:48:35 PM by YasBean »
Londinium L1, Bullet R1, Compak E8, VBM DB, Vario, Hario Vac

yorel23

« Reply #208 on: March 09, 2010, 08:19:47 PM »
Okay, okay! Now, I feel like l need to show off my new set-up.   It started last October, when l replaced my oh so cool but imprecise "Flying Eagle" grinder with a Baratza Vario.  That reveled to me that my problem may not have been the grinder, but the machine, so out with the Francis!Francis! X5, and in with the Vibiemme Super Double Boiler.  (See, dreams can come true!)

The problem is, l no longer have any excuses...

Welllll.... If it's excuses you want, just send me the Vibiemme and I'll send you my Gaggia Carezza free of charge! ;D

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #209 on: March 09, 2010, 08:43:26 PM »
Chad & Yasbean ... I know you guys must have researched it pretty well to both end up with the Vibiemme ... what tipped the scales to that machine over all other double boilers?

???
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski