Author Topic: Show Off your Espresso Machine  (Read 66182 times)

Tex

Re: Show Off your Espresso Machine
« Reply #345 on: September 07, 2011, 11:46:42 AM »
Nice setup, thanks for showing a realistic picture.

As anyone who has their espresso machine in the kitchen knows, it's right in the heart of everything, and competing for counter space.  I'm always getting push-back from the wife that I have too much coffee stuff on the counter (Chemex on scale, Espresso Machine, Grinder, oh, and a PID when I'm running the La Peppina) so I'm re-finishing a thrifted sideboard to take it into the dining room.  I have a feeling that moving out of the kitchen is going to be a bit of an adjustment, not having a sink nearby and having a lot less space to prep.  I'll have to pan out and take a picture of the setup in context.  It will show a box of Mangos on the counter waiting to be converted to smoothies for the family.

I also clean the screen with a Pallo coffee tool, but since I have no three-way valve on my levers, I use a wash bottle to rinse the screen and wipe with a micro-fiber cloth.

Listen to the voice of lunacy - a good espresso machine is much rarer than a good wife. :-X Now, listen to the voice of reason - a happy wife is much easier to get along with than an espresso machine. ;D

Offline grinderz

• Standard User
  • No unjacked threads!
« Reply #346 on: September 07, 2011, 02:56:34 PM »
Is that one of your grand kids in your avatar, Tex?
var elvisLives = Math.PI > 4 ? "Yep" : "Nope";

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #347 on: September 07, 2011, 03:09:08 PM »
Nice machine Jake!

How does that compare to the Salvatore that you previously had?

:)
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

Tex

« Reply #348 on: September 07, 2011, 03:17:28 PM »

That's Wyatt - the one I call Tiny T!

Offline grinderz

• Standard User
  • No unjacked threads!
« Reply #349 on: September 07, 2011, 03:48:13 PM »

That's Wyatt - the one I call Tiny T!
He does have that same maniacal grin.  ;D

That's a really nice looking machine you have there, Jake. Someday...
var elvisLives = Math.PI > 4 ? "Yep" : "Nope";

Offline shakin_jake

• Standard User
  • one over the 8th
« Reply #350 on: September 08, 2011, 12:25:02 AM »
Pretty machine Jake! BTW; why'd you replace the Salvatore One-Black with the Vetrano?

~~~Salvatore's machine was sold for only one reason...I needed some cash real fast fall 2010, by the time X-Mass came around, I was flush again so I bought the Quick Mill.  My old Salvatore machine is in good hands...one of the GCBC members bought it

Best,

Jake
Reddick Fla.
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while...

Offline shakin_jake

• Standard User
  • one over the 8th
« Reply #351 on: September 08, 2011, 12:29:56 AM »
Nice setup, thanks for showing a realistic picture.

As anyone who has their espresso machine in the kitchen knows, it's right in the heart of everything, and competing for counter space.  I'm always getting push-back from the wife that I have too much coffee stuff on the counter (Chemex on scale, Espresso Machine, Grinder, oh, and a PID when I'm running the La Peppina) so I'm re-finishing a thrifted sideboard to take it into the dining room.  I have a feeling that moving out of the kitchen is going to be a bit of an adjustment, not having a sink nearby and having a lot less space to prep.  I'll have to pan out and take a picture of the setup in context.  It will show a box of Mangos on the counter waiting to be converted to smoothies for the family.

I also clean the screen with a Pallo coffee tool, but since I have no three-way valve on my levers, I use a wash bottle to rinse the screen and wipe with a micro-fiber cloth.

~~~Chris,  I like to keep any of my espresso machines (I've had a few) next to the sink, so I can rinse with the faucet plus I keep a compost bucket in the one side of the sink, and the spent grinds get tossed in there.  I'm sure I could get by but the thought of not having a sink nearby when I pull a shot doesn't excite me

Best,

Jake
Reddick Fla.

Offline shakin_jake

• Standard User
  • one over the 8th
« Reply #352 on: September 08, 2011, 01:21:07 AM »
Nice machine Jake!

How does that compare to the Salvatore that you previously had?

:)

~~~Hi mp!  You complimented me on this new machine on my espresso restoration thread (Futurmat Rimini) and I never answered you.  Yes I remember.  I've been waiting for when i start back on that machine and post some new pics, to answer you=:-)...but I'll answer your question here you wanting to know my opinion of the Salvatore One Black vs. the Quick Mill Vetrano

They're both HX machines, both use a Sirai P-Stat but I paid extra for the Sirai in the Quick Mill (about a $60 upgrade).  both use a 58 mm commercial thermosiphon group but the Quick Mill uses an E-61.  Also, the Quick Mill uses a roatary pump whereas the One Black has a vibe pump.  Although the One Black made fine espresso with the vibe pump and comm. thermosiphon group, with the E-61 and the rotary pump, the rotary pump is so quiet, you can hear when the water stops flashing coming out of the E-61 group, the vibe pump on the One Black was so noisy, it was next to impossible to percieve when to time the end of the water dance...when doing a flush

I don't know if I can say the espresso tastes better coming out of the E-61 over the commercial 58 mm group the One Black has, just as it was hard to say the if the espresso tasted better from the One Black over the PID'd Gaggia Classic the One Black replaced.  It will be easier to service the E-61 since it is right there out in the open whereas the One Balck's commercial group, to get at it to service the filter screen, it will be harder beacause of the way Slavatore fitted it to the machine...but how often do you have to fuss with the group filter screen?...not very often if you use soft water

Another advantage of the rotary pump in the Quick Mill is it is easily adjusted to affect group pressure changes.  On the One Black, Slavatore did not use any type of mechanism to adjust group pressure, so if you wanted to change group pressure (I never did) you would have to fit a rheostat to change current going to the pump.  For some, this was a show stopper on the One Black but it never bothered me.  I checked group pressure with a guage fitted to a PF and it was high.  10 + bars IIRC, but it made damn fine espresso

I have to give props to Salvatore for essentially making a custom built machine as he is a machinist and cuts his own tubing for the boiler, the boiler end caps.  it was well put together and the quality showed when you took a good look at it.  The one downside of the One Black was the fact Salvatore positioned the water reservour directly over the boiler, and the boiler laid in a horizontal position which meant the water res picked up the boiler's waste heat.  This heat reclamation meant that you could not leave the One Black plugged in (turned on) 24/7 as the water reservour would get too hot, eventually, so Slavatore stated in his instruction manual for the machine *not* to leave the boiler on 24/7.  IMO, this was no biggie, although I leave my Quick Mill on 24/7.  With the One Black, I got into the habit of turning it off when I wasn't using it.  Because the boiler was so small (1.3 litres) in the One Black, it could get up to operating temperture in 7 minutes.  No kidding, the machine can be stone cold and you can pull a shot with it 7 minutes later

Other differences between the two?...the Vetrano (Quick Mill) uses double wall steam and hot water wands, the One Black didn't.  What that means is with the insulated wands, you don't have to be concerned with getting burnt fingers touching either wand, now that's a big deal if you ever got burnt mis-handling a steam wand that isn't insulated, and I have, more than once.  IIRC the boiler on the One Black is 1.3 litres, the Vetrano is 1.7, and the Vetrano's boiler is insulated.  The One Black isn't.  That's a nice feature as the boiler will run less often as it is losing less heat.  Less heat loss means a cooler kitchen and less electricity use, but I doubt even with the high cost of electric these days, the One Black used significantly more juice. I really doubt it, plus it was kept off when not in use whereas the Vetrano is left on all of the time.  You may wonder why I leave the Vetrano on 24/7....one time having a conversation with one of the techs at Chris Coffee, he told it was better for the machine to leave it on all of the time, primarily he claimed I would avoid problems with the heater gasket leaking from expansin/contraction.  Makes sense I guess, plus it's always ready to pull a shot

Salvatore did not use a vacuum breaker on his boiler. the Vetrano has one.  What that means is when you first turn the One Black on, you have to keep the steam wand open so the pressure can evacuate until its up to steam, you don't have to do that with the Vetrano.  I think Salvatore set up his machine that way to keep it simple, so he didn't have to route a vent/water line to the drip tray like the Vetrano has.  Salvatore is a smart engineer me thinks, employing the KISS method, plus it keeps the costs down.  At the time of purchase, the One Black retailed for $1000, my Vetrano starts at over $1500.  So you might wonder, is the Vetrano worth $500 + more?  I gotta admit, having a rotary pump sure is nice, plus the chromed E-61 is beautiful bling, and you do have to look at this machine sitting on your counter top day after day.  I like bling=:-)

It's hard to compare the two because they are built to two different price points but I have to admit, the rotary pump factored heavily in my buying decision when I had to buy another HX machine, and I considered buying another HX from Salvatore, but to get a rotary pump and an E-61 group in a Salvatore machine, you have to spend $3 K.  I dropped about $1600 for the Vetrano

Best,

Jake
Reddick Fla.

Offline shakin_jake

• Standard User
  • one over the 8th
« Reply #353 on: September 09, 2011, 12:59:29 AM »
As a lever-head, I can fully understand why you would favor a rotary pump over a vibe pump.  I love listening to the water fill the group.

~~~on the single boiler Gaggia, a vibe pump is not a bad thing, in fact, it's a good thing from a cost perspective (I think Tex will agree with me on this point) with the consumer Gaggias as the boiler only holds little better than a shot's worth of water, you flip the pump switch and stop when you have the volume you're after, no flushing is done nor needed, but when you have an HX group that needs to be flushed, I've found with using a quiet pump like a rotary, you can actually here when the water stops flash boiling which greatly assists in determing when to stop flushing.  Now on the Salvatore HX machine I had, because the vibe pump was noisy enough you couldn't listen for the termination of water not flashing any longer, you could watch for the water to stop spitting out of the group, a visual termination of water flashing if you will...but since I have been using a rotary pump on my current HX espresso machine, IMNSHO, I think it's worth spending the extra jack to have that quietness, if only so you can hear the water flash ending.  Plus, it's the preferred way to dial in group pressure.  As always though, others may have better and different opinions

For the record, I have nothing but good things to say about Salvatore's espresso machine (and I don't give out compliments lightly), the One Black I used, and his and Wendy's service I recieved everytime I phoned or did email with them, when and if I had questions and also during the ordering process

BTW, I wrote a review for the Vetrano on coffeegeek back in June of this year ...If you care to read it, here it is-

http://www.coffeegeek.com/reviews/commercial/vetrano/shakin_jake

Best,

Jake
Reddick Fla.
BRILLIANT'S LAW OF LIMITED AMBITION: If you can't learn how to do it well learn how to enjoy doing it poorly

Offline shakin_jake

• Standard User
  • one over the 8th
« Reply #354 on: September 12, 2011, 11:22:44 PM »
Very Nice Set Up!...So how do you like that Vario coffee bean grinder?...I've heard some good thinhgs about them

Best,

Jake
Reddick Fla.
Education is a method whereby one acquires a higher grade of prejudices.
-- Laurence J. Peter

BoldJava

« Reply #355 on: September 13, 2011, 04:37:43 AM »
I wanted to join shakin_jake in showing my espresso machine in the midst of a working kitchen...

Your Factory's drip pan is my shaving bowl.

Offline rfeuker

• Standard User
  • Some problems only coffee can fix.
« Reply #356 on: September 13, 2011, 05:00:52 AM »

For the record, I have nothing but good things to say about Salvatore's espresso machine (and I don't give out compliments lightly), the One Black I used, and his and Wendy's service I recieved everytime I phoned or did email with them, when and if I had questions and also during the ordering process

I am the lucky guy who wound up with Jake's Salvatore One Black.  Like Jake, I bought this as my first HX machine (upgrading from a Silvia) and have nothing but good things to say about it.  Leaving it on all day is not an issue for me since I am by no means a heavy volume user.  I manage to pull really good to excellent shots most times.  Steaming milk took a little practice, but that's not the machine, that's the nut behind the controls. 

I have been researching for my next upgrade and the Vetrano is very high on my list.  Looks like I have the wife convinced that it would make an excellent birthday/Christmas/Valentine's Day gift (maybe for two years).  One issue for me is plumbing.  I have a really nice coffee bar setup but it's approximately 25 feet from the nearest water source.  Is the pump with the 5 gallon jug easy and convenient?  I could probably get the jug into a side of the cabinet where there are two shelves now.

BTW, I'm really looking at a Christmas time purchase of the upgrade, but if anyone reading this might be interested in buying the Salvatore, drop me a PM.  I can be convinced to updrade early  :).

« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 05:02:33 AM by rfeuker »
Bob Feuker

Offline shakin_jake

• Standard User
  • one over the 8th
« Reply #357 on: September 13, 2011, 06:08:42 AM »
Hi Bob!,  Glad to hear you are getting on well with the vnereable One Black.  Hooking up a Flo Jet to a 5 gallon water bottle then running the line to your espresso machine is quite simple.  I would think the tough part would be what are you going to do for your make up water source?  Do you plan on buying water or making (improving well or city) water?

Best,

Jake
Reddick Fla.
-- Laurence J. Peter

Tex

« Reply #358 on: September 13, 2011, 07:23:15 AM »
Hi Bob!,  Glad to hear you are getting on well with the vnereable One Black.  Hooking up a Flo Jet to a 5 gallon water bottle then running the line to your espresso machine is quite simple.  I would think the tough part would be what are you going to do for your make up water source?  Do you plan on buying water or making (improving well or city) water?

Best,

Jake
Reddick Fla.
-- Laurence J. Peter

I agree with Jake, a FloJet is simple to use. I use a quick-connect hose attached to a sink faucet to fill the fresh water jug.

Two things;
1) Use a smaller jug for fresh water than you use for waste water. If a switch or valve malfunctions you won't overflow the bigger jug.

2) Use a filtration/softener system after the Flojet. I use potassium chloride to recharge my softener instead of salt - better for the body.

BoldJava

« Reply #359 on: September 13, 2011, 02:30:15 PM »
Very Nice Set Up!...So how do you like that Vario coffee bean grinder?...I've heard some good things about them

For me, it was quite the upgrade.  I...

Any heat transference to the beans, Chris?  Relatively small burrs, no?

B|Java