Author Topic: Meet Gort!  (Read 31658 times)

jano

Re: Meet Gort!
« Reply #195 on: September 27, 2012, 08:27:00 AM »
This thing appears to be a great concept, has my wheels turning. 

Is the auto-on supposed to actually brew coffee at a certain time, or just heat up and get the water to temp, or, err.. both?

jano

« Reply #196 on: September 27, 2012, 10:11:11 AM »
According to the Brazen Manual you can set the brewer to make your coffee automatically in the morning.  You'd have to pre-grind your coffee, of course, so I probably won't use this feature much.

Okay, figured as much.  Thanks for the link to the manual.

I'm now picturing a Rube Goldberg contraption involving a grinder, basket, freshly dispensed beans, and a R.O.B.  What a fun morning that would be.

Tex

« Reply #197 on: September 27, 2012, 10:15:02 AM »
According to the Brazen Manual you can set the brewer to make your coffee automatically in the morning.  You'd have to pre-grind your coffee, of course, so I probably won't use this feature much.

Yeah baby, grind it!

Tex

« Reply #198 on: September 27, 2012, 11:43:05 AM »
I've never quite figured out why someone with expertise in coffee making would put a delayed start switch on a coffee machine? It seems as counter-intuitive as putting a governor on a Ferrari 250 GTO.

Offline MMW

• Standard User
« Reply #199 on: September 27, 2012, 11:46:41 AM »
I've never quite figured out why someone with expertise in coffee making would put a delayed start switch on a coffee machine? It seems as counter-intuitive as putting a governor on a Ferrari 250 GTO.

It's more like a cupholder in a Ferrari:  It's not a feature the enthusiast is likely to use but it's a 'feature' the customers demand.
"During the early 19th century, most Americans subsisted on a diet of pork, whiskey, and coffee.  ----- Where did we go wrong?

Tex

« Reply #200 on: September 27, 2012, 12:19:03 PM »

It's more like a cupholder in a Ferrari:  It's not a feature the enthusiast is likely to use but it's a 'feature' the customers demand.

But would you put a pod adapter on the GS3 if you were designing it?

Offline MMW

• Standard User
« Reply #201 on: September 27, 2012, 01:01:39 PM »

But would you put a pod adapter on the GS3 if you were designing it?

Depends on how many more units it would sell.
"During the early 19th century, most Americans subsisted on a diet of pork, whiskey, and coffee.  ----- Where did we go wrong?

Tex

« Reply #202 on: September 27, 2012, 01:16:54 PM »
I might actually see using it if I were to pull a couple of shots in the morning, grind some fresh coffee, then program the brewer to make a pot of coffee for the rest of the family when they get up.  I don't see the need to grind the night before and pre-program for a morning batch.

I'd have to get up earlier, though, and as it is I'm getting up and making the pot of coffee before I get ready so everyone can have their fix before they head out for the day.

How long is freshly ground coffee good for, or how long does it take for coffee sitting in a pot to get stale?

It disturbs me when folks mistreat the coffee I roast so carefully.

jano

« Reply #203 on: September 27, 2012, 02:32:01 PM »
How long is freshly ground coffee good for, or how long does it take for coffee sitting in a pot to get stale?

Newbie here talking to the experts I realize... but, anyway, just trying to fit in here... I did a blind test last year comparing freshly ground vs. few-days-before-ground-and-stored-in-air-tight-ceramic-thingy.  All from the same bean, roasted a few days before, etc. etc.  I couldn't tell the difference, however, my palate has increased in snootiness since then - I'm getting ready to extend the pinky.  The purpose was to see whether it made sense for my gf to take pre-ground coffee to make a fresh mid-morning cup since her workplace didn't have/want a grinder.  Note I don't actually do this, it was only a test.

Back on topic: depending on how long it takes to heat up the water to temp, maybe it can be a useful feature to help save time in the morning.  i.e. you set the doohickey to be ready for 6am, you waltz up to, grind your beans, put them in the basket, brew.  Can allow for a good 5-10 minutes more sleep :)

Again, Rube Goldberg -> R.O.B.  to put fresh ground beans into the basket.  Cue the music.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 02:34:01 PM by jano »

Ray T

« Reply #204 on: September 27, 2012, 02:44:04 PM »
Gort shipped today from Roastmasters  ;D

Tex

« Reply #205 on: September 27, 2012, 03:45:48 PM »

Newbie here talking to the experts I realize...

snipped

Nope, Peter is the only expert around these parts. ;D

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #206 on: September 27, 2012, 03:49:05 PM »

Newbie here talking to the experts I realize...

snipped

Nope, Peter is the only expert around these parts. ;D

Is that like X and spert?

1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

Offline pgde

• Standard User
« Reply #207 on: September 27, 2012, 05:10:35 PM »
Can't wait for the feedback from the users here on it!!!  :)
Behmor 2000AB/Behmor Brewer

BozemanEric

« Reply #208 on: September 28, 2012, 09:56:54 AM »
I recieved my notice last night. Mine is scheduled to arrive Oct. 3.

seldomseensmith

« Reply #209 on: September 29, 2012, 06:15:03 PM »
Meet Gort MFers!!!!!

This is the first time I've ever used an auto-brewer. I bought this thing to work a farmers market, cuz cleaning out french presses into buckets is no fun. I just did my first brew; it's late so it was decaf. I'm not going to comment on the cup until I can put one of my favorite coffees though it (tomorrow morning). But my initial comment is that the pre-soak uses way too much water; pretty much just like brewing.