Author Topic: Meet Gort!  (Read 31668 times)

Offline tahoejoe

• Standard User
Re: Meet Gort!
« Reply #240 on: October 03, 2012, 06:22:21 PM »
Bitter at 204.  Acceptable at 200.  I guess I am going to have to still warm the cups.

Try 202.. you'll get a small drop in temp to the grounds but still a very hot brew

I imagine it's the same as making espresso: Too bitter, drop the temp. Too sour, raise the temp? How about roast levels; with espresso the rule of thumb is darker roasts need lower temps and vice-versa.

I'm in the process of setting up a forum or something that is only to deal with the setting for various coffee, roast levels etc..

My early take is lighter lower temp, darker higher but I've stayed in the 202-204 consistently.. but that's what works for me..
« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 06:50:00 PM by tahoejoe »

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
  • Roaster: 4# RK Drum
Meet Gort!
« Reply #241 on: October 03, 2012, 07:36:13 PM »
I did a 200* temp with a 30 second presoak.  I'm pretty sure the grind was the culprit. I think it was too fine.

tyme

« Reply #242 on: October 03, 2012, 08:38:28 PM »
The fact that there are discussions on setting the brew temp from 204 to 202 and different pre-soak times on a home use auto brewer is just amazing to me.  And by amazing I mean that it's absolutely awesome that an auto brewer can be this flexible. 
Bravo to Behmor! 

I can't wait for the Roadshow

(insert MP's emoticon drinking pot after pot of coffee)
« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 08:41:21 PM by tyme »

JW

« Reply #243 on: October 03, 2012, 09:01:15 PM »
I'm pretty sure the grind was the culprit. I think it was too fine.
Definitely coarsen up the grind a lot. When doing a 4 minute plus extraction, it is very easy to overextract, but you know that.   ;)  Also when doing a 4 minute extraction you get more hemi cellulose hydrolysis. This produces more reducing sugars, primarily xylose, which is not sweet (as most sugars are not sweet), but lends a silkier, creamier mouthfeel.

I'm going to have to be taken off the roadshow list, I jumped the gun and bought one...and it arrived today. Did 3 trial runs after calibrating it and running a cleaning cycle. No problems whatsoever with too large a bloom. All coffee was 3 day post roast with a city( ethiopia chelelektu, SM's), city+( sidamo bonko, last years shrub offering), and full city roast levels ( Guat Atitlan, Klatch). The chelelektu was extracted at 200F( 64 grams), the bonko at 202F (66 grams), the guat at 201F(66 grams).  All coffee was delicious.

Thanks Joe! I really like this brewer!!!
« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 09:11:29 PM by JW »

Soapbox

« Reply #244 on: October 04, 2012, 05:36:28 AM »
I'm pretty sure the grind was the culprit. I think it was too fine.
No problems whatsoever with too large a bloom.   All coffee was delicious.

Thanks Joe! I really like this brewer!!!
For this mornings offerings I upped the dose to 73 grams.  And found NO issue with a blooming.  I can hardly wait to get a nice thick buttery roast coffee into the Brazen.

Thanks

BozemanEric

« Reply #245 on: October 04, 2012, 08:53:09 AM »
I did my first pot this morning and it turned out very good.  I used a Mocha Java blend that they sent me with the machine. 

Brew temp:  201, the highest that the Brazen will give me at this elevation
Presoak was set at 1:20
52 grams of coffee and water to the 6 cup mark
Five day old coffee
Grind was at dead center, 20, on the Perciso, the same grind I use in the Yama
Paper filters

I am not in love with the Mocha Java blend they sent me but I cannot complain about the brew.  I did a Hario V60, my go-to brew method, for comparison and they were close.  The Brazen appeared to be a little brighter in the cup where the V60 had a little more depth.  I liked the V60 better but not by much.  All and all, I am happy.  I know this will be essential for Christmas at the cabin.  No longer will I have to make press pot after press pot.  I have to give Joe some esteem as I have not had an electric brewer in over two decades.

BozemanEric

« Reply #246 on: October 04, 2012, 09:05:07 AM »
And, it looks pretty good in the lineup:

JW

« Reply #247 on: October 04, 2012, 06:27:54 PM »
This morning I brewed a 1.2L pot of a Kenya French Mission Bourbon roasted to a nice city level( 4 days post roast). Beautiful bright coffee and I really think the brewer brought out the brightness even more. Brewed with a 1 minuted pre soak at 203F. Really, really enjoyed it.

BozemanEric

« Reply #248 on: October 05, 2012, 06:55:59 AM »
I did a two day old, home roasted Kenya AA  Thunguri Estate this morning using 50 grams, at six cups. I am still at my max temp do 201 with the presoak at 1:20.  This is a dam good cup of coffee. This is a brand new bean to me so I do not have a a baseline for comparison but I can not imagine it getting a whole lot lot better in a  manual drip. 

I think I will play around with the gold filter over the weekend.

Offline tahoejoe

• Standard User
« Reply #249 on: October 05, 2012, 09:57:18 AM »
Good data yakster... but could suggest
1) on fresh roasts min 1:20 pre-soak
2) lid- condensation.. I open and turn it vertical over the reservoir.
3) and yes only thing lost when unplugged is the actual time of day. Only way to change that w/ good results is adding a battery..

Thanks again

Tex

« Reply #250 on: October 05, 2012, 10:36:39 AM »
Agreed on all points.  I did turn the lid vertical and shake off the excess over the sink, no real issue.

You don't want a battery.  Too many disposal/RoHS/replacement issues, saving the config is perfect.

No battery is OK, but a 12 VDC model would really be useful for RV or boat owners.

jimec3

« Reply #251 on: October 05, 2012, 11:47:15 AM »
Agreed on all points.  I did turn the lid vertical and shake off the excess over the sink, no real issue.

You don't want a battery.  Too many disposal/RoHS/replacement issues, saving the config is perfect.

No battery is OK, but a 12 VDC model would really be useful for RV or boat owners.

A tiny slice of an already small market, ROI on that.......never

Tex

« Reply #252 on: October 05, 2012, 11:55:52 AM »

A tiny slice of an already small market, ROI on that.......never

Maybe, but if I'm making a wish list, I'd put it ahead of a battery powered clock.

Offline MMW

• Standard User
« Reply #253 on: October 05, 2012, 12:03:38 PM »
Won't most folks with a RV or boat with enough juice to run a coffee pot like this already have an inverter?  That has to be, what, 140 amps at 12V?  Here's your coffee pot and a set of welding cables :o
"During the early 19th century, most Americans subsisted on a diet of pork, whiskey, and coffee.  ----- Where did we go wrong?

Offline rasqual

• Standard User
  • Chaser of Midwest farmers' daughters
« Reply #254 on: October 05, 2012, 08:13:56 PM »
Just saw this in action tonight for the first time. I'm impressed.