Author Topic: Meet Gort!  (Read 31658 times)

SJM

Re: Meet Gort!
« Reply #255 on: October 06, 2012, 08:07:14 AM »
So dudes and dudettes, this is the drip machine to end all drip machines? 

My only auto brew machine is a MokaBrew, so if anyone has comments on comparing the BraZen to the MB, bring 'em on.  Of course I haven't even used the MB for a few years, so I'm probably not in the market or mood for a new auto dripper, but it is the comparison I would be interested in.

Susan

BoldJava

« Reply #256 on: October 06, 2012, 08:21:01 AM »
Had two great cups of the Greenway Coffee Rwanda Dukunde Kawa last night from my first batch in the Brazen documented above.  ...

Excellent first look Chris, thanks.

Offline rasqual

• Standard User
  • Chaser of Midwest farmers' daughters
« Reply #257 on: October 06, 2012, 03:43:18 PM »
It's likely I'll buy a Brazen before I get a Trifecta. They will bother offer superb repeatability. Since the Brazen compensates for elevation as well, two people with dramatic geographic separations could compare notes with few variables in question (grinding being the biggy).  But the Brazen meets me first on my way to saving money for a Trifecta, and it's siren song is sweet.  ;D

Offline grinderz

• Standard User
  • No unjacked threads!
« Reply #258 on: October 06, 2012, 06:11:00 PM »
Do you think they can manage?  ;)
var elvisLives = Math.PI > 4 ? "Yep" : "Nope";

BozemanEric

« Reply #259 on: October 06, 2012, 07:48:03 PM »

I am amazed at the difficulties some face in making coffee. I bought my fiancée a Clever thinking that it would be the easiest pourover for her. I am the only one that has ever used it. I got the Brazen for her and walked her thru the operation of it twice.  Yet when I got out of bed this morning, 45 minutes after her, the first thing out of her mouth was, "will you make a pot of coffee." It is crazy how intimidating coffee paraphernalia can be to some. 

I like Yakster's idea of pre-dosing the whole beans. I might have to try that.  Weighing stuff appears to be another thing that challenges my fiancée.

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #260 on: October 06, 2012, 07:52:05 PM »

I am amazed at the difficulties some face in making coffee. I bought my fiancée a Clever thinking that it would be the easiest pourover for her. I am the only one that has ever used it. I got the Brazen for her and walked her thru the operation of it twice.  Yet when I got out of bed this morning, 45 minutes after her, the first thing out of her mouth was, "will you make a pot of coffee." It is crazy how intimidating coffee paraphernalia can be to some.

She is training you Eric.  Never underestimate the wiles of a woman.

BTW, your killer espresso blend(s) left today.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Tex

« Reply #261 on: October 06, 2012, 08:50:13 PM »

I am amazed at the difficulties some face in making coffee. I bought my fiancée a Clever thinking that it would be the easiest pourover for her. I am the only one that has ever used it. I got the Brazen for her and walked her thru the operation of it twice.  Yet when I got out of bed this morning, 45 minutes after her, the first thing out of her mouth was, "will you make a pot of coffee." It is crazy how intimidating coffee paraphernalia can be to some.

She is training you Eric.  Never underestimate the wiles of a woman.

BTW, your killer espresso blend(s) left today.

+1

Soapbox

« Reply #262 on: October 07, 2012, 08:41:08 AM »
Has anyone noticed any difference between using the gold filter vrs paper.  I immediately began to use paper out of the gate thinking since my reference V60 I'd like to duplicate the same cup.  Well I haven't been able to do it using paper in both.  I encountered my first blooming mess using the same dose in the gold filter as I was using with paper.  I'm wondering if it was a fluke?  With out a doubt weighing doses for the Brazen provide for the best results in my kitchen.  By the way I was able to match cup for cup with the v60 and the brazen but I had to use the gold filter with a grind just a little coarser than normal drip where as for my timed v60 I go a few notches finer than normal drip.

BozemanEric

« Reply #263 on: October 07, 2012, 11:35:42 AM »
She actually made coffee this morning, with some minor coaching. I commented that it was really not that difficult.  She said, "You have no idea how groggy I am in the morning." I hate to do this, but the only way it looks like this will work is if show her how to use the timer. I guess it is still an upgrade from her stained Mr. Coffee.

I have no interest in drinking coffee that was ground eight hours ago and I was wondering:  Has anyone done a 4 cup batch using normal brewing with the carafe?  If so, what were your results?

Tex

« Reply #264 on: October 07, 2012, 12:01:32 PM »
She actually made coffee this morning, with some minor coaching. I commented that it was really not that difficult.  She said, "You have no idea how groggy I am in the morning." I hate to do this, but the only way it looks like this will work is if show her how to use the timer. I guess it is still an upgrade from her stained Mr. Coffee.

I have no interest in drinking coffee that was ground eight hours ago and I was wondering:  Has anyone done a 4 cup batch using normal brewing with the carafe?  If so, what were your results?

I hate to say this, but rather than using the timer to brew with stale grounds, it might be better to brew a pot before going to bed & hope the carafe keeps it hot enough?  Use boiling water to preheat the carafe before brewing, and if you're lucky the brew is still drinkable 4 - 8 hours later. Believe me - coffee grounds get stale a LOT QUICKER than brewed coffee!

I used to do this when I had to get up early to catch an ebbing tide to snag the big redfish.

JW

« Reply #265 on: October 07, 2012, 02:10:27 PM »
Set temp 202 at 400ft elevation.
36 grams and water to the calibration line.
I dropped the pre soak time from 2:30 down to 1 min.

Excellent cup

This has been working well for me when I just want a few cups.

BozemanEric

« Reply #266 on: October 07, 2012, 02:38:49 PM »

Excellent cup

Thanks for digging this up. I missed it the first time around. I think the fiancée will get her four cups set up the night before and I will either make a fresh pot or a V60 when I get up. I was just curious because the manual suggests a minimum of six cups unless using manual release. 

Soapbox

« Reply #267 on: October 07, 2012, 08:15:54 PM »

Excellent cup

Thanks for digging this up. I missed it the first time around. I think the fiancée will get her four cups set up the night before and I will either make a fresh pot or a V60 when I get up. I was just curious because the manual suggests a minimum of six cups unless using manual release.
  Who reads manuals?

BozemanEric

« Reply #268 on: October 07, 2012, 09:03:22 PM »
I read it online when I was trying to decide if I wanted to preorder one.

lurkerjohnny

« Reply #269 on: October 08, 2012, 01:19:57 AM »
So dudes and dudettes, this is the drip machine to end all drip machines? 

My only auto brew machine is a MokaBrew, so if anyone has comments on comparing the BraZen to the MB, bring 'em on.  Of course I haven't even used the MB for a few years, so I'm probably not in the market or mood for a new auto dripper, but it is the comparison I would be interested in.

Susan

Susan, I am a big fan of the MokaBrew.  Even though I love it, I find the MokaBrew to be hit or miss.  Some coffee works better on it than others.  Also, sometimes I can have a great cup of coffee with it then a crappy one the next day using the same coffee.  My other go-to methods of coffee preparation are the CCD and the Aeropress.
So far I have used the Brazen 5 times using two different roasts.  The coffee has been consistently GREAT!  I have tried it at both the 6 cup mark and the 4 cup mark.  This machine has simplified my morning routine.  Hope this helps.