Author Topic: roaster control widget  (Read 56786 times)

milowebailey

Re: roaster control widget
« Reply #150 on: February 12, 2009, 06:32:08 AM »
Larry, where are you getting those prototype boards?

I had the bare boards laying around.... in my electronics stash.  I don't know where I got them... Digikey it thought but don't see there there now.

Here is an ebay store that you can get them pretty cheap, although for the hottop controller it will probably take a larger board.  I'll probably get some boards built for the hottop once I build the prototype, I suspect there will be enough interest in upgrading the hottop.  Last time I had boards made they were about $10 per board...

These are more the size you'll need for the hottop.... it may have to be cut down..

If you have a Frys electronics nearby they would have them too.  and there is always Radio Junk.

« Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 06:46:06 AM by milowebailey »

milowebailey

« Reply #151 on: February 12, 2009, 06:56:13 AM »
One more thought.  You can use these type prototype boards for low voltage/current stuff like the thermocouples, but I'm leary about 110v @ 10 amps through those.... and that's why I use the solder type for the power circuits with larger wire.  Note the thin aluminum contacts on the bottom. 

I vaporized some of those in one of my college labs.... part of the learning though.

Offline rasqual

• Standard User
  • Chaser of Midwest farmers' daughters
« Reply #152 on: February 12, 2009, 12:16:24 PM »
On one of my several sojourns at the ASW base in San Diego (that would be FLEASWTRACENPAC), I was in a course that inspired me to do a lot of independent breadboarding in my room. One night I connected Vcc straight across a low-resistance precision (10 turn) potentiometer, toasting it. The devices are quite small.

The next day I was recounting my folly to another student in the hall of one of the lab buildings. Just as a CPO I didn't know was walking by, I was heard saying "Yeah, I smoked a little pot' last night."

His head snapped around and stared in my direction almost involuntarily (as if wishing to pause independently of his feet, which kept walking).

That was about a year after the zero-tolerance success in cleaning up the Navy, back in the early 80s.

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
« Reply #153 on: February 12, 2009, 01:20:53 PM »
some one gave me a PC with a bad power supply many years ago.... seams it kept blowing the fuse... little tin foil around the fuse made it clear what components in the PS were trying to fail (the ones at the base of the column of blue smoke  :-X

milowebailey

« Reply #154 on: February 18, 2009, 12:10:22 PM »
Well my laptop is about 98% back to normal (I ended up having to empty and reload it) and finally got all the needed bits back in it, so now back to the Milowidget project.  Hope to let the sparks fly this afternoon on the Alpenrost.  If you don't hear from me by 9 pm something went horribly wrong....

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
« Reply #155 on: February 18, 2009, 12:26:54 PM »
Hope to let the sparks fly this afternoon on the Alpenrost.  If you don't hear from me by 9 pm something went horribly wrong....

Mmm.. Sparks... pretty

Tex

« Reply #156 on: February 18, 2009, 12:27:29 PM »
Well my laptop is about 98% back to normal (I ended up having to empty and reload it) and finally got all the needed bits back in it, so now back to the Milowidget project.  Hope to let the sparks fly this afternoon on the Alpenrost.  If you don't hear from me by 9 pm something went horribly wrong....

Burn Baby, Burn!
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LO9u_SLvB_Q[/youtube]

After disco, everything is cool and nothing can ever go wrong again.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2009, 12:35:35 PM by Tex »

crholliday

« Reply #157 on: February 18, 2009, 12:30:20 PM »

WAIT!!!

Update the code repository before you turn it on!!

:D

milowebailey

« Reply #158 on: February 18, 2009, 12:53:12 PM »

WAIT!!!

Update the code repository before you turn it on!!

:D

You just reminded me of some more bits I have to put in the laptop :P

milowebailey

« Reply #159 on: February 18, 2009, 05:11:19 PM »
Made a little progress once I figure out I had 5 volts and the thermocouple amp output swapped....

casualtiy- 1 ea. AD595AQ _ $10 mistake...... :BangHead:

After that I'm going to double check all my connections and wiring...

Other than that it seems to be working.  Looks like I need to work on the code a little more... I need to set the initial settings... didn't do that.... need to.

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #160 on: February 19, 2009, 04:10:49 AM »
No biggie Milo ... keep up the great work!

:)
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

Offline mp

• Standard User
« Reply #161 on: February 19, 2009, 09:14:06 AM »
Milo ... I was thinking ... are you familiar with Ron Popiel's Showtime Rotisserie?  Many believe that it is not hot enough for coffee beans.  Would the MiloWidget be able to increase the heat enough or would some modification to the heat element be necessary in order to produce sufficient heat for coffee bean roasting for this baby?

This would make a cheap alternative to a Hottop drum roaster with a drum from CoffeeRoasters if possible.

lp, 7-Ski

milowebailey

« Reply #162 on: February 19, 2009, 09:45:03 AM »
Milo ... I was thinking ... are you familiar with Ron Popiel's Showtime Rotisserie?  Many believe that it is not hot enough for coffee beans.  Would the MiloWidget be able to increase the heat enough or would some modification to the heat element be necessary in order to produce sufficient heat for coffee bean roasting for this baby?

This would make a cheap alternative to a Hottop drum roaster with a drum from CoffeeRoasters if possible.

Although the Milowidget is quite magical, I can't add more power.   The heating element can only add x amount of heat.  Also the appliance itself needs to be designed to handle that much heat too.  The Glass, and other materials (drive motor, gears, etc.) would also need to be able to handle the heat too.

Offline mp

• Standard User
« Reply #163 on: February 19, 2009, 12:11:42 PM »
Although the Milowidget is quite magical, I can't add more power.   The heating element can only add x amount of heat.  Also the appliance itself needs to be designed to handle that much heat too.  The Glass, and other materials (drive motor, gears, etc.) would also need to be able to handle the heat too.

Ok ... thanks for the clarification.  So even if you were able to get a heating element that would generate more heat the glass and other materials would also need to be upgraded to handle the heat?

So that is the bottom line?

Thanks

lp, 7-Ski

milowebailey

« Reply #164 on: February 19, 2009, 12:27:18 PM »

Ok ... thanks for the clarification.  So even if you were able to get a heating element that would generate more heat the glass and other materials would also need to be upgraded to handle the heat?

So that is the bottom line?

Thanks

Think of the stir-crazy.... it has to be modified to add the Turbo Oven or the stirring mechanism eventually melts.  That's not to say that only a larger heating element wouldn't work, but the caution is you may have a Chernobyl on your hands if you aren't careful and just ad a larger heating element.