Author Topic: roaster control widget  (Read 56440 times)

milowebailey

Re: roaster control widget
« Reply #75 on: January 22, 2009, 08:00:36 PM »
The thing I want to know is....

does the gift basket on the back of the roaster change seasonally or is it just a temporary anomaly  ;)

JJ

You win the prize for noticing (I was thinking Peter would win it). And the prize is.... the contents of the gift basket.... 2 dead plants :P

As I study the curve (drink a glass of Cab and glance at the curve) I realize how poor the curve really is for a commercial roaster.....

I know it's an affordable commercial roaster and Sonofresco hasn't changed anything on the control circuit in almost 10 years.    but when I look at an Ambex curve or any of the ones in roast magazine... this curve is a poor approximation anything...... but it still makes pretty darn good coffee with consistent results.... we'll see if it can improved upon.  The kits will be under $1000  ;D ;D

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #76 on: January 22, 2009, 08:38:30 PM »

does the gift basket on the back of the roaster change seasonally or is it just a temporary anomaly  ;)

JJ

You win the prize for noticing (I was thinking Peter would win it). And the prize is.... the contents of the gift basket.... 2 dead plants :P

As I study the curve (drink a glass of Cab and glance at the curve) I realize how poor the curve really is for a commercial roaster.....

I know it's an affordable commercial roaster and Sonofresco hasn't changed anything on the control circuit in almost 10 years.    but when I look at an Ambex curve or any of the ones in roast magazine... this curve is a poor approximation anything...... but it still makes pretty darn good coffee with consistent results.... we'll see if it can improved upon.  The kits will be under $1000  ;D ;D

That was the first thing I noticed, buddy.  And thought that must be the price Mrs. Bailey exacts for letting you keep the roaster in her kitchen.  It makes it blend in with the decor a bit better.  Bill should win the prize, I have a couple dead plants already.

The temp curve looks very even and flatly progressive, no hold points or profile to speak of.  But not for long!
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

milowebailey

« Reply #77 on: January 22, 2009, 08:48:05 PM »
Two things I notice in the profile.....

at about 100 seconds there is a 20 degree drop in temp... very consistent in the two roasts I did.  I suspect they use a table and with the steep ramp the first 100 seconds the overshoot where they hope to be so they turn heat off for about 20 seconds... air blowing..... the PID code will hopefully smooth this out...

second: the on/off periods of the burner are too long.... If I can shorten these then the ramp will be much smoother...

third.   it hit's second crack at 620 second.... 10 minutes 20 seconds.... seems to me that I'd like to be closer to 12 minutes..  any thoughts?

ok I know that's 3 things.

Offline rasqual

• Standard User
  • Chaser of Midwest farmers' daughters
« Reply #78 on: January 23, 2009, 07:52:07 AM »
The elegant simplicity of your hardware is sweet. The code you drew on looked pretty sharp. I'm going to be REALLY interested in where this ends up.

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #79 on: January 23, 2009, 09:20:50 AM »
The elegant simplicity of your hardware is sweet. The code you drew on looked pretty sharp. I'm going to be REALLY interested in where this ends up.

Yeah ... way to go Milo!

:)
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

crholliday

« Reply #80 on: January 23, 2009, 10:45:10 AM »
Have you thought about putting a project up on sourceforge.net or similar?

I bet there are several of us who would contribute.

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
« Reply #81 on: January 23, 2009, 03:16:57 PM »

JJ

you need a coffee plant up there... crop to cup....  ;)

Although if ou are inclined to believe that plants have feelings I guess that is as pretty cruel place to be..  :-\

milowebailey

« Reply #82 on: January 23, 2009, 04:19:45 PM »

JJ

you need a coffee plant up there... crop to cup....  ;)

Although if ou are inclined to believe that plants have feelings I guess that is as pretty cruel place to be..  :-\

One of the dead plants is a coffee plant :-\

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
« Reply #83 on: January 23, 2009, 05:26:31 PM »

One of the dead plants is a coffee plant :-\

Hmm.... maybe it's true !?!?!?  :icon_scratch:

milowebailey

« Reply #84 on: January 26, 2009, 12:02:13 PM »
Have you thought about putting a project up on sourceforge.net or similar?

I bet there are several of us who would contribute.

Sir Holiday

I took your advise, and put the project up on sourceforge.   I've never used it so I'll have to figure out how to put the code up there, but if you are interested... here is the link.

http://www.milowidget.sourceforge.net

crholliday

« Reply #85 on: January 26, 2009, 12:26:12 PM »
Sweet!

You will need to have an SVN client. I use http://tortoisesvn.net/. You can diff, merge, branch, etc all within the tool. It is a little invasive to your system (sets itself up in your context menus, etc) but causes few, if any, problems.

The SVN menu option on your project tells you the source directory for your project ( https://milowidget.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/milowidget milowidget )

Just load the code up there in logical folders. The discussion can parallel the development either here or in the project discussion forum.

This is gonna be great. I'll offer up our Probat to use as an industrial test machine.

;D

Offline rasqual

• Standard User
  • Chaser of Midwest farmers' daughters
« Reply #86 on: January 26, 2009, 07:40:56 PM »
Oh good grief. This is getting really nice.

milowebailey

« Reply #87 on: January 26, 2009, 08:06:02 PM »
Sweet!

This is gonna be great. I'll offer up our Probat to use as an industrial test machine.

;D
I'll PM you a shipping address for the Probat!  ;D

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #88 on: January 26, 2009, 09:31:27 PM »
Oh my ... and I thought the Sonofresco was a big boy!

;D
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

SamDiscusFlyer

« Reply #89 on: January 27, 2009, 06:26:50 AM »
Shipping costs are VERY expensive  ;D