Author Topic: roaster control widget  (Read 56856 times)

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
Re: roaster control widget
« Reply #300 on: January 10, 2010, 06:30:39 PM »
Welcome aboard Baylanger.  I sure appreciate you helping Milo completing the Milowidget.

:)
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

Tex

« Reply #301 on: January 20, 2010, 10:49:46 AM »
I'm on the verge of ordering a HotTop, and was wondering if milo might need a beta tester?

I make an excellent guinea pig!

Offline Warrior372

• Standard User
« Reply #302 on: March 23, 2010, 10:29:54 AM »
Where are you guys at in regards to progress on the Widgets? Just curious the thread has been inactive for a few months. Good Luck!

baylanger

« Reply #303 on: March 23, 2010, 03:23:44 PM »
Larry and I came up with great options / ideas.  Still in the development phase.  It will happen, stay tune.

First supported roaster is the Hottop but it won't stop there, we do have others in mind.

We're all curious to know how many people are very interested in this project.  Don't hesitate to drop me an email (belanger AT pobox DOT com) and let us know what roaster you plan to use it.  We'll keep a list and when there's something for your roaster, we will email you.

PB

Offline Warrior372

• Standard User
« Reply #304 on: March 23, 2010, 08:11:33 PM »
I would be interested in the HotTop Widget. Will you need a specific HotTop or will it work on the KN-8828, 8828D, 8828B and 8828P? I have an original 8828 and have been considering upgrading it to an 8828P. If the widget will work on all models of HotTop I will resist the temptation to upgrade and will wait for the completion of the widget.

Thank you for all of the work you guys are doing!

milowebailey

« Reply #305 on: March 24, 2010, 04:46:35 PM »
I would be interested in the HotTop Widget. Will you need a specific HotTop or will it work on the KN-8828, 8828D, 8828B and 8828P? I have an original 8828 and have been considering upgrading it to an 8828P. If the widget will work on all models of HotTop I will resist the temptation to upgrade and will wait for the completion of the widget.

It will work with any/all of them.

Offline mp

• Standard User
« Reply #306 on: March 24, 2010, 04:56:56 PM »

Correct me if I am wrong but my understanding is even if you get a basic HotTop the Milowidget will give it all the functionality of the higher model. 

Extending that further ... would it not give a Behmor similar capabilities of the higher end HotTop?

???
lp, 7-Ski

baylanger

« Reply #307 on: March 24, 2010, 05:54:45 PM »
Correct me if I am wrong but my understanding is even if you get a basic HotTop the Milowidget will give it all the functionality of the higher model. 

Extending that further ... would it not give a Behmor similar capabilities of the higher end HotTop?

???
From what I recall the higher Hottop model does not give more functionality besides that you can store more profiles and it comes with a nice color LCD.  If I would have first bought the higher model, I would have downgraded.  To me the lower model gives you better roast control.  I remember someone stating he downgraded.  Even for 1$ , I would not "upgrade" my controller.

Our controller will definitively not have a nice color LCD like the higher model (too expensive).  Perhaps in the future when the LCDs are cheaper.  Right now we're focusing a lot more on the software side to control a roaster with some functionality.  When that's done, we'll start working on other "interfaces".  The Hottop being an electrical based roaster, the next one will probably be a gas type.  Once those two are completed, we should have most software code written to interface with more roasters.

I'm not aware how the Behmor works (I think it has a few static profiles... 3?!).  I do want to buy one for its capacity considering the price is right!

Larry and I did have discussion on what will come after the Hottop.  For sure, if Larry or I don't own a unit it will be harder to make it happen.  Besides that it all depends of the complexity of the unit itself (electronic interface or not, high voltage, etc).

PB

Offline mp

• Standard User
« Reply #308 on: March 24, 2010, 06:12:22 PM »

???
From what I recall the higher Hottop model does not give more functionality besides that you can store more profiles and it comes with a nice color LCD.  If I would have first bought the higher model, I would have downgraded.  To me the lower model gives you better roast control.  I remember someone stating he downgraded.  Even for 1$ , I would not "upgrade" my controller.

Our controller will definitively not have a nice color LCD like the higher model (too expensive).  Perhaps in the future when the LCDs are cheaper.  Right now we're focusing a lot more on the software side to control a roaster with some functionality.  When that's done, we'll start working on other "interfaces".  The Hottop being an electrical based roaster, the next one will probably be a gas type.  Once those two are completed, we should have most software code written to interface with more roasters.

I'm not aware how the Behmor works (I think it has a few static profiles... 3?!).  I do want to buy one for its capacity considering the price is right!

Larry and I did have discussion on what will come after the Hottop.  For sure, if Larry or I don't own a unit it will be harder to make it happen.  Besides that it all depends of the complexity of the unit itself (electronic interface or not, high voltage, etc).

PB

Thank you for the insight Baylanger.

If you want the volume market maybe you should be looking at the Freshroast models.

My 2 cents.

lp, 7-Ski

Offline staylor

• Standard User
  • Back in Canada and the espresso still tastes good.
« Reply #309 on: March 24, 2010, 06:26:41 PM »

If you want the volume market maybe you should be looking at the Freshroast models.

My 2 cents.

Volume in coffee, or volume in people owning them. ;-)

Offline mp

• Standard User
« Reply #310 on: March 24, 2010, 06:29:24 PM »

My 2 cents.

Volume in people owning them ... lowest cost roater.

lp, 7-Ski

Offline staylor

• Standard User
  • Back in Canada and the espresso still tastes good.
« Reply #311 on: March 24, 2010, 06:42:31 PM »

My 2 cents.

Volume of ownership... based on what market research?

It's my guess that the widget won't be free and if the widget is the same price as the 'lowest cost roaster' how many people will be buying them for their Freshroast? Buying cheap, then paying more for an add-on, usually causes a disconnect.

Just sayin'.

Offline mp

• Standard User
« Reply #312 on: March 24, 2010, 06:47:31 PM »

My 2 cents.

Volume of ownership... based on what market research?

It's my guess that the widget won't be free and if the widget is the same price as the 'lowest cost roaster' how many people will be buying them for their Freshroast? Buying cheap, then paying more for an add-on, usually causes a disconnect.

Just sayin'.

You may be right.  If you spend 8 or 9 hundred on a roaster ... what is another 100 or 2?

I based the fact on price entry being the point.  The more inexpensive the item the more the purchasers.  On the other hand how many people would like to double their roaster investment on a control gadget.

lp, 7-Ski

baylanger

« Reply #313 on: March 24, 2010, 09:00:36 PM »
I'll try at my best to address all of the previous concerns / raised questions.

Some people buy a used poppery for 5$ and spend (FOR EXAMPLE) 200$ on some hardware (variac to control the heat element, thermocouple, digital thermocouple reader, switches, etc).  When you switch to a new roaster, will you still use the variac, thermocouple reader, switches, etc).  For example, if you switch to a gas roaster you definitely don't need the variac anymore.

Use our product with a low cost roaster and when you change your roaster, all you need is the "roaster interface" made for the roaster you just bought.  The cost of the interface depends mainly on the required components.  PERHAPS you'll be able to return your old interface and get a new one at discount price (time will tell).

Will it be free?  As stated earlier would someone spending 100$ on a roaster spend (for example) 200$ on a controller?  In terms of hardware we're already over 100$ and there are still a few "items" to add on top of the current "shopping list".  What if you prefer to use quality Omega thermocouple?  Price of each thermocouple is 40$.  As of today there are still a few unknown variables to define a final cost and honestly Larry and I didn't discuss yet how the product will sale and be presented.

See your purchase like an investment in a product you can use for years to come -- but this is pure speculation until the product is really there.

Will we ever publish the source code, perhaps.  Will we make money, some ... a lot, I doubt it but I wish!  Would we accept green coffee donation, *I* certainly would anytime ;-)

All of the above might never happen or it might -- only time will tell.  For sure, it WILL happen for the Hottop and until then sit down, relax and watch the show.  We already selected 3 beta testers and before including more people, we first want have a "rock solid" product.  To me rock solid means something stable that works as we all expect it to work.

Stay tune.

PB

Offline mp

• Standard User
« Reply #314 on: March 24, 2010, 09:07:49 PM »
Thank you for the informative post.

Looking forward to the MiloWidget.

lp, 7-Ski