Author Topic: roaster control widget  (Read 56949 times)

Offline staylor

• Standard User
  • Back in Canada and the espresso still tastes good.
Re: roaster control widget
« Reply #315 on: March 24, 2010, 09:09:39 PM »
I'll try at my best to address all of the previous concerns / raised questions.

Some people buy a used poppery for 5$ and spend (FOR EXAMPLE) 200$ on some hardware (variac to control the heat element, thermocouple, digital thermocouple reader, switches, etc).  When you switch to a new roaster, will you still use the variac, thermocouple reader, switches, etc).  For example, if you switch to a gas roaster you definitely don't need the variac anymore.

Use our product with a low cost roaster and when you change your roaster, all you need is the "roaster interface" made for the roaster you just bought.  The cost of the interface depends mainly on the required components.  PERHAPS you'll be able to return your old interface and get a new one at discount price (time will tell).

Will it be free?  As stated earlier would someone spending 100$ on a roaster spend (for example) 200$ on a controller?  In terms of hardware we're already over 100$ and there are still a few "items" to add on top of the current "shopping list".  What if you prefer to use quality Omega thermocouple?  Price of each thermocouple is 40$.  As of today there are still a few unknown variables to define a final cost and honestly Larry and I didn't discuss yet how the product will sale and be presented.

See your purchase like an investment in a product you can use for years to come -- but this is pure speculation until the product is really there.

Will we ever publish the source code, perhaps.  Will we make money, some ... a lot, I doubt it but I wish!  Would we accept green coffee donation, *I* certainly would anytime ;-)

All of the above might never happen or it might -- only time will tell.  For sure, it WILL happen for the Hottop and until then sit down, relax and watch the show.  We already selected 3 beta testers and before including more people, we first want have a "rock solid" product.  To me rock solid means something stable that works as we all expect it to work.

Stay tune.

PB

I'm tuned in and have my popcorn in the microwave right now (popcorn not MiloWidgeted).

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
« Reply #316 on: March 25, 2010, 07:38:13 AM »
I am glad to hear that the base widget will plug into different interfaces for different roasters. Presuming that means I can set up my SC/TO with the widget then move my widget over to the gas grill 5 lb roaster and plug it into my thermal couple and electronic gas valve control...thingy... select a saved profile and start roasting... then switch it back when I need the small patch size..

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #317 on: March 25, 2010, 07:42:43 AM »
I am glad to hear that the base widget will plug into different interfaces for different roasters. Presuming that means I can set up my SC/TO with the widget then move my widget over to the gas grill 5 lb roaster and plug it into my thermal couple and electronic gas valve control...thingy... select a saved profile and start roasting... then switch it back when I need the small patch size..

Yeah ... that would certainly give you flexibility. 

I wonder how hard it would be to do what you said?

:)
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

Goose

« Reply #318 on: March 25, 2010, 08:31:15 AM »
 It may be a pipe dream but how hard would it be to use a USB or bluetooth interface a laptop to these roasters? You could do an awful lot that way.  I look forward to the day when I can get a  M/widget.

Offline mp

• Standard User
« Reply #319 on: March 25, 2010, 08:34:41 AM »
It may be a pipe dream but how hard would it be to use a USB or bluetooth interface a laptop to these roasters? You could do an awful lot that way.  I look forward to the day when I can get a  M/widget.

Hmm ... you got me thinking ... how about a USB port into a roaster.  It would make it convenient for the MiloWidget or has you say a computer to connect to it.

8)
lp, 7-Ski

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
« Reply #320 on: March 25, 2010, 04:39:00 PM »
I would have to read this thread from the beginning to be sure but I believe the m/widget is the usb into your roaster.. it will control relays and other low voltage controllers to control the heater, fan, cooling tray blower/bean stirrer.. how many outputs does that thing have?? it is the interpreter from computer data to "turn up/down the heat" you could set it up so the PC is your controler or you can just use the M/widget buttons... key is th brain trust will only do what they think is important if you want it pull shots and pour lattee art you better start coding and tinkering :D

milowebailey

« Reply #321 on: March 27, 2010, 07:26:24 AM »
A teaser for ya all.

Offline mp

• Standard User
« Reply #322 on: March 27, 2010, 08:57:23 AM »
Hmm ... what is the price range we are looking at ... at the present moment?

???
lp, 7-Ski

CAGurl

« Reply #323 on: March 27, 2010, 11:08:41 AM »
A teaser for ya all.

Don'tcha think that as a tribute to our hard work and ingenuity in putting them together, that those of us with UFO/TOs and SC/TO's should get the second wave of these????  

(Quick translation: I want mine NOW !!!!)

Susan

« Last Edit: March 28, 2010, 11:14:21 AM by CAGurl »

milowebailey

« Reply #324 on: March 27, 2010, 06:29:05 PM »

???
How much ya got?? ;D ;D

Offline mp

• Standard User
« Reply #325 on: March 27, 2010, 06:30:47 PM »

???
How much ya got?? ;D ;D

Between 50 and 100?

???
lp, 7-Ski

milowebailey

« Reply #326 on: March 27, 2010, 06:32:30 PM »

???
How much ya got?? ;D ;D

Between 50 and 100?

???
Maybe, I forget what roaster you have.

Offline mp

• Standard User
« Reply #327 on: March 27, 2010, 06:34:16 PM »

???
How much ya got?? ;D ;D

Between 50 and 100?

???

I have the FreshRoast. 

lp, 7-Ski

milowebailey

« Reply #328 on: March 27, 2010, 06:37:49 PM »

???
How much ya got?? ;D ;D

Between 50 and 100?

???

I have the FreshRoast. 

Hmmmm that one should be easy.... tough part will be where to put the thermocouples....  MP.... save you pennies.. there is a coffee kids auction coming.... maybe there will be a new roaster in your future if you save you Canadian pennies

Offline mp

• Standard User
« Reply #329 on: March 27, 2010, 06:39:05 PM »

???
How much ya got?? ;D ;D

Between 50 and 100?

???

I have the FreshRoast.  

Hmmmm that one should be easy.... tough part will be where to put the thermocouples....  MP.... save you pennies.. there is a coffee kids auction coming.... maybe there will be a new roaster in your future if you save you Canadian pennies

Oh yeah ... which one they putting up there?

PS ... I try your Poco De Caldas & Nossa Sehnora tomorrow.  (Can't wait!)

???
« Last Edit: March 27, 2010, 06:41:22 PM by mp »
lp, 7-Ski