Author Topic: roaster control widget  (Read 56996 times)

milowebailey

Re: roaster control widget
« Reply #390 on: March 24, 2011, 11:03:27 AM »
Hadn't decided yet. I am interested in following your end result since it seems it will be tailored to the hottop. Did you go ssr or high voltage board?
Jim used SSRs for the motor and heater.

My plan is to control the factory hottop high voltage board.  It will require 2 hardware changes to the TC4.

1) slight modification to the board
2) use an external I2C LCD interface for the LCD

I plan to use the I/O that the LCD is using to control the hottop.

My board should be put together, modified by mid April.  (I'd do it sooner, but I'm headed to Korea tomorrow for 12 days).

Once I get the board together then I'll  take Randy's code and modify it for the different I2C interface for the display and then re-purpose the I/O for the Hottop control.

Tex

« Reply #391 on: March 24, 2011, 11:16:32 AM »
Hadn't decided yet. I am interested in following your end result since it seems it will be tailored to the hottop. Did you go ssr or high voltage board?
Jim used SSRs for the motor and heater.

My plan is to control the factory hottop high voltage board.  It will require 2 hardware changes to the TC4.

1) slight modification to the board
2) use an external I2C LCD interface for the LCD

I plan to use the I/O that the LCD is using to control the hottop.

My board should be put together, modified by mid April.  (I'd do it sooner, but I'm headed to Korea tomorrow for 12 days).

Once I get the board together then I'll  take Randy's code and modify it for the different I2C interface for the display and then re-purpose the I/O for the Hottop control.

I'd check the winds for later this week. IIRC, if they shift as predicted it'll blow from northern Japan right over the Korean peninsula?

On the up side, you might have a ringside seat to history.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 11:34:46 AM by Tex »

milowebailey

« Reply #392 on: March 24, 2011, 11:38:55 AM »
Not a problem right now... all that radiation is heading to Texas

Tex

« Reply #393 on: March 24, 2011, 11:55:05 AM »
Not a problem right now... all that radiation is heading to Texas

The latest report has the wind direction shifting onshore,  to S by SW. Folks in Tokyo & Seoul are messing their tidy whities worrying about it.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 12:33:06 PM by Tex »

randytsuch

« Reply #394 on: March 24, 2011, 01:16:41 PM »
Once I get the board together then I'll  take Randy's code and modify it for the different I2C interface for the display and then re-purpose the I/O for the Hottop control.

My latest code (can be downloaded from the tc4 site) uses a I2C port expander to control the LCD, and to read push buttons.  In my setup, I use a 2nd port expander to control the Alpenrost, but that is specific to my hardware.  You really don't need to do this, using the Arduino IO pins would have worked fine, as it is I have a bunch of unused IO pins now.

Randy

milowebailey

« Reply #395 on: March 24, 2011, 03:30:39 PM »
Very cool Randy

I'll download the latest and take a peak.

Offline rasqual

• Standard User
  • Chaser of Midwest farmers' daughters
« Reply #396 on: March 24, 2011, 10:17:32 PM »
BTW, hardly needed for this project but want to put in a plug for a good product from a guy quite near to where I work.

http://www.jkdevices.com/arduino-megamini

We're likely to be working closely with him on a mod to this platform, for our project.

We need the additional PWM pins. He says we could probably reduce the size to 1/4 of what you see there (if we eliminate unneeded analog and digitals). Not bad. In its stock form, you end up with a festoonage of headers. It's amazingly dense. It'll also sink a half amp (though we're feeding transistors for current's sake) with its regulator. He took a hint from me and is experimenting with a particular potting compound, just now, with thermal control in view for high current applications. It's an interesting alternative to heat sinks per se.

Geez the Arduino platform is fruitful in the market. Every time I turn around someone's using 'em for something, and the number (and quality!) of libraries is expanding ridiculously.

I might even improve my java skills by way of C.    ;)

I hafta admit, though, coding real-time stuff can be really tricky -- especially when you need to do periodic things in an analogy way. And that's all I'll say without an NDA in play.    ;D
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 10:22:41 PM by rasqual »

Offline MMW

• Standard User
« Reply #397 on: March 25, 2011, 05:07:16 AM »

I hafta admit, though, coding real-time stuff can be really tricky -- especially when you need to do periodic things in an analogy way. And that's all I'll say without an NDA in play.    ;D

Ugh.  Don't remind me.  If I never have to spend weeks on end getting another two cycles out of a for loop I'll be a happy man.
"During the early 19th century, most Americans subsisted on a diet of pork, whiskey, and coffee.  ----- Where did we go wrong?

BoldJava

« Reply #398 on: March 25, 2011, 05:30:07 AM »

Ugh.  Don't remind me.  If I never have to spend weeks on end getting another two cycles out of a for loop I'll be a happy man.

I think that is a do-loop in Fortran. I was notorious for locking mine into some sort of continuous loop to nowhere, executing without conclusion. Not sure what they are called, maybe FUBAR code?  Many, maaaaaaaaaaaaany moons ago.  Drove - me - nuts.

B|Java
« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 05:31:43 AM by BoldJava »

Offline MMW

• Standard User
« Reply #399 on: March 25, 2011, 06:43:09 AM »

Ugh.  Don't remind me.  If I never have to spend weeks on end getting another two cycles out of a for loop I'll be a happy man.

I think that is a do-loop in Fortran. I was notorious for locking mine into some sort of continuous loop to nowhere, executing without conclusion. Not sure what they are called, maybe FUBAR code?  Many, maaaaaaaaaaaaany moons ago.  Drove - me - nuts.

B|Java

I had a big ol thing written up but decided it was far too much geekery for this early in the morning.  You are all welcome.  :P
"During the early 19th century, most Americans subsisted on a diet of pork, whiskey, and coffee.  ----- Where did we go wrong?

jimec3

« Reply #400 on: March 25, 2011, 07:30:48 AM »
Fortran?? That's like Latin right? B|dinosaur did your pc have a crank start too :)

Offline YasBean

• Standard User
  • Lever that sucker!
« Reply #401 on: March 25, 2011, 08:09:30 AM »
Fortran?? That's like Latin right? B|dinosaur did your pc have a crank start too :)

I don't know about B|fossil, but my last serious forays were with Fortran IV on PDP-11's and 8" floppies (i.e. before PCs).  Fortran 77 was too radical, so I decided to bow out.
Londinium L1, Bullet R1, Compak E8, VBM DB, Vario, Hario Vac

BoldJava

« Reply #402 on: March 25, 2011, 08:11:35 AM »

Rubber bands and 3 x 8 IBM cards, man.  Get with it.

B|Java

Tex

« Reply #403 on: March 25, 2011, 09:29:40 AM »

Ugh.  Don't remind me.  If I never have to spend weeks on end getting another two cycles out of a for loop I'll be a happy man.

I think that is a do-loop in Fortran. I was notorious for locking mine into some sort of continuous loop to nowhere, executing without conclusion. Not sure what they are called, maybe FUBAR code?  Many, maaaaaaaaaaaaany moons ago.  Drove - me - nuts.

B|Java

Not loops; they were known as dynamic halts.

milowebailey

« Reply #404 on: March 25, 2011, 10:37:18 AM »
Believe it or not Fortran is still the best number crunching language.  For programs that use a lot of math, Fortran is still used.  Much quicker than C.  We are having an issue right now because we want to put an application we use on an iPad... but there are no Fortran compilers available for that OS..... the only way to do it is convert it to C, but then it will be slow....

The Droid, however is Linux, so there is a Fortran compiler we can use... Droid rules!
« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 10:42:02 AM by milowebailey »