Author Topic: roaster control widget  (Read 56830 times)

Tex

Re: roaster control widget
« Reply #405 on: March 25, 2011, 11:28:21 AM »
Believe it or not Fortran is still the best number crunching language.  For programs that use a lot of math, Fortran is still used.  Much quicker than C.  We are having an issue right now because we want to put an application we use on an iPad... but there are no Fortran compilers available for that OS..... the only way to do it is convert it to C, but then it will be slow....

The Droid, however is Linux, so there is a Fortran compiler we can use... Droid rules!

That's amazing! I won't tell on myself, but the 1st Fortran compiler I used listed Backus' name as its developer. As the only floating point arithmetic, non-machine language available it was a gift from God. The mortality, longevity, and retention studies I did for Farmers Insurance in the early 60's wouldn't have been possible without Fortran.

jimec3

« Reply #406 on: March 25, 2011, 03:40:40 PM »
Believe it or not Fortran is still the best number crunching language.  For programs that use a lot of math, Fortran is still used.  Much quicker than C.  We are having an issue right now because we want to put an application we use on an iPad... but there are no Fortran compilers available for that OS..... the only way to do it is convert it to C, but then it will be slow....

The Droid, however is Linux, so there is a Fortran compiler we can use... Droid rules!

As long as you keep working on the Milowewidget I will believe anything you say :)

Offline MMW

• Standard User
« Reply #407 on: March 25, 2011, 03:55:48 PM »
Believe it or not Fortran is still the best number crunching language.  For programs that use a lot of math, Fortran is still used.  Much quicker than C.  We are having an issue right now because we want to put an application we use on an iPad... but there are no Fortran compilers available for that OS..... the only way to do it is convert it to C, but then it will be slow....

The extensive, free numerical method libraries are a big help too, huh?
"During the early 19th century, most Americans subsisted on a diet of pork, whiskey, and coffee.  ----- Where did we go wrong?

randytsuch

« Reply #408 on: March 30, 2011, 12:03:20 PM »
If anyone wants to do anything with wireless remote keypads/display for this stuff, let me know. I'll be pleased to share some code (Arduino) that might save you some time. The piece of value is the reliable wireless transmission of array data, of any data type. Adapting what I've done would be fairly simple. Range: about a hundred yards, ymmv.

Did you get my PM?
I just changed my code to control my Arduino from a Processing program, would be nice if I could do it wirelessly.

Randy

Offline rasqual

• Standard User
  • Chaser of Midwest farmers' daughters
« Reply #409 on: March 31, 2011, 01:22:37 PM »
Yah, so sorry so late getting back to you. It's been an insane week...

Let me see if I can get something to you quick -- even if not well-documented, you can go to the sources to generalize back to first principals from my specific implementation.

Be aware that I'm using one-way wireless, though; we didn't need XBee/ZigBee capability.

ARGH! They're not able to get the receivers any more:  http://www.sparkfun.com/products/8947

We used the higher frequency version of that.

See PM shortly -- I can at least share the code!

Offline grinderz

• Standard User
  • No unjacked threads!
« Reply #410 on: April 02, 2011, 09:46:28 PM »
Yeah, when I learned Fortran is was Hollerith's punched card on the campus PDP-11, you'd submit your batch job at night and come by the next day for the print-out and just hope that you didn't have a compile error.

I thought I was hot snot later because I had a 300 baud modem and could dial into the mainframe and upload my pre-written programs into a vi buffer instead of having to hang out in the computer room dungeon waiting for a terminal to enter my code.

I imagine that I could do all this locally now on my Droid phone if I really wanted too.
Heh-heh! You can buy the SIMH app for like $4 now that will allow you to emulate a virtual PDP-11, VAX and other mini-computers on your droid with a good deal more horsepower than the original if you have one of the faster phones.
var elvisLives = Math.PI > 4 ? "Yep" : "Nope";

mhoy

« Reply #411 on: April 19, 2011, 11:27:46 PM »
I got the LCD and TC4 up and running. I cheated and got the surface mount parts pre-soldered.   These eye's aren't what they used to be.

The first item I plan on controlling will be my Bradley Original Smoker with a Crydom D120, a 120v 10 Amp SCR that works perfectly with an arduino digital IO pin.  I'm coming up to speed on using the Arduino IDE. There are some amazingly slow routines in it, but overall, easy for a beginner to pickup.

I was going to log the data to a SD card however the SparkFun board seems to have an overlap with the TC4 board. Haven't looked into it in great enough detail yet.

Mark

Offline rasqual

• Standard User
  • Chaser of Midwest farmers' daughters
« Reply #412 on: May 10, 2011, 10:02:33 AM »
Google just announced a LOT.

Anyway, germane here, search for Arduino on this page.

http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/live_blog_google_io_2011_day_one.php

Just control your roaster from an Android app. Use a 802.11n shield with your Arduino and do it across the network, wirelessly.

Heck, map that port at your firewall and keep an eye on someone else's roasts.

randytsuch

« Reply #413 on: May 10, 2011, 07:31:43 PM »
In my setup, I have a bluetooth interface between my arduino and my laptop.
I roast in my backyard, so I can now sit in my kitchen, and run the roaster outside.

But, bluetooth (at least my setup) has a limited range, so I decided to add a wifi interface from my PC to my iphone.

Now, I can monitor a roast from my iphone, via wifi.

All I needed extra was a $5 all, touchOSC.
BTW, they have touchOSC for android too.

Randy

Offline YasBean

• Standard User
  • Lever that sucker!
« Reply #414 on: May 16, 2011, 06:17:53 PM »
A new Arduino UNO is in the mail!  Once I catch up with the 30 years that have passed since I last played with electronics, I will have to figure out how to use this stuff on my Hottop P.  The TC4 seems to be a bit more "dirt under the nails," so I will wait on that. 

...and I just wanted to drink good coffee.... :-\
Londinium L1, Bullet R1, Compak E8, VBM DB, Vario, Hario Vac

BoldJava

« Reply #415 on: May 16, 2011, 06:36:39 PM »
...and I just wanted to drink good coffee.... :-\

and save money.  That's the line I used.

B|Java

jimec3

« Reply #416 on: May 17, 2011, 10:34:08 PM »
I have the "P" too.  The TC4 is a great addition.

Offline YasBean

• Standard User
  • Lever that sucker!
« Reply #417 on: May 18, 2011, 08:20:40 AM »
I have the "P" too.  The TC4 is a great addition.

Have you set it up, yet?  Any advice?  Photos?  Are you using Kona or Bourbon for software?
Londinium L1, Bullet R1, Compak E8, VBM DB, Vario, Hario Vac

jimec3

« Reply #418 on: May 18, 2011, 08:38:15 AM »
No photos at the moment. I have a few recommendations.
I put my bean mass sensor through the back wall of the roaster. I think it is a cleaner install.   I intend on doing the same with the enviro but just haven't got to it yet.
For software I run randy's. He's very active here and really seems animated about the project and getting feedback etc. Although I can't wait to see where Millow ends up as his should do roaster control as well.
For heat control, which is where the "p" is really lacking, I am running the element straight off a variac for now so my roasts are completely manual.   Although the "programs" let me get decent coffee a year ago it was just too much of a Pima to get them to profile.
Going forward I want to get the arduino doing more roast control but with summer inbound and the surf and the trails calling it may be unlikely.
Hit me up with a pm if you need help getting the tc in place or have any other questions.

farmroast

« Reply #419 on: May 18, 2011, 01:52:23 PM »
I've been using the TC4 for a few months now. Strictly for monitoring. Added is the ability to monitor/graph the variac voltage going to the heating element with a "juice box" using the gesha program. I like it.
The screen shot is an extended finish for an espresso blend component. The driving wasn't the best..
I'm in the process of mounting the hardware into a control box
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 02:10:33 PM by farmroast »