Author Topic: roaster control widget  (Read 56913 times)

Tex

Re: roaster control widget
« Reply #450 on: September 21, 2011, 05:52:31 PM »
I'm making progress.  Hardware interface is complete (interface board is re-designed).  I'll probably order 25 boards.

Working on a mounting design.  I think I found a good cheap project box that fits nicely on the hottop.  I also have a touchpad on order that will hopefully go to the right of the display.

USB interface for datalogging and PC control.

Now the plan is to see how fast I can get to 1st crack.... baseline the hottop so I'll know how fast of ramp is possible.

I'm guessing you too believe the widget is impractical for the gas-heated Sono?
Nope, I think it would be perfect for the sono.  Two tricks to that.

1) - be able to adjust the gas pressure (I have a device that will do it, but no Sono to test it on (since you sold mine)
2) - reading bean temperature ( might be easy to just poke one down in the beans and have a thermocouple jack to plug it in.

I've got a 2-stage gas valve, but a true variable valve was too expensive - something like $500 IIRC? And hey, I'm going to buy another Sono, and you can come visit it anytime!

milowebailey

« Reply #451 on: September 21, 2011, 08:26:57 PM »
Oh, contrare senor... here is the animal you want, and only $125

Tricky part is installing in after the on/off pressure valve already in the sono.  You will need to do some gas plumbing.   you might need the signal conditioner... which is another $90, but maybe I'll include an amplifier in the interface board.

BTW, this is the modulator valve used in later Ambex models with full gas control
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 08:33:12 PM by milowebailey »

Tex

« Reply #452 on: September 21, 2011, 10:12:35 PM »
Oh, contrare senor... here is the animal you want, and only $125

Tricky part is installing in after the on/off pressure valve already in the sono.  You will need to do some gas plumbing.   you might need the signal conditioner... which is another $90, but maybe I'll include an amplifier in the interface board.

BTW, this is the modulator valve used in later Ambex models with full gas control

Wow! I've got a lead on a Sono from a local shop, so I might be in need of this sooner than later. I wish Continental was still in Houston so you still had business here?

farmroast

« Reply #453 on: September 22, 2011, 05:57:19 AM »
I'm making progress.  Hardware interface is complete (interface board is re-designed).  I'll probably order 25 boards.

Working on a mounting design.  I think I found a good cheap project box that fits nicely on the hottop.  I also have a touchpad on order that will hopefully go to the right of the display.

Now the plan is to see how fast I can get to 1st crack.... baseline the hottop so I'll know how fast of ramp is possible.
8), Nice looking mount!
The advances Homeroasters have developed for monitor/control/datalogging for homeroasting in the last year+ have been amazing.

jimec3

« Reply #454 on: October 05, 2011, 09:09:42 AM »

What did you come up with for speed on the ramp.  Running full on with 250g I have made it in around 7 minutes. 

Offline expy98

• Standard User
« Reply #455 on: October 05, 2011, 12:02:35 PM »
wow 7 mins that's fast.  With 230g full on and fan speed at 1 the fastest I can get to 1C is
about 9 mins, dropping the beans at about 300-310F. 

jimec3

roaster control widget
« Reply #456 on: October 05, 2011, 12:16:50 PM »
Drop hotter and use the fan for convection

---
I am here:

Offline Coffeefreak

• Standard User
« Reply #457 on: October 10, 2011, 09:22:36 AM »
Your work on this fascinates me. Now that I have added a Android tablet to my equipment arsenal,
(a Motorola Xoom with a USB interface) I might be interested in acquiring some of this equipment for my Hottop when you have finished your extensive research. Do keep us all posted.

alongfortheride

« Reply #458 on: October 26, 2011, 09:50:53 AM »
Ditto - I'm itching to upgrade my 8828 (original)!  Saving now. :)

Offline ScareYourPassenger

• Standard User
  • lever lover
« Reply #459 on: November 03, 2011, 10:10:20 AM »
Do you think this will allow control of a Sono for different amounts of bean mass? There is a used one locally...

Offline ScareYourPassenger

• Standard User
  • lever lover
« Reply #460 on: April 22, 2012, 12:34:29 PM »
Bump, I know this is a long shot but I really want to mod my sono:)

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #461 on: April 23, 2012, 06:47:16 PM »
I thought I saw Milo taking orders for the Milowiget at the show, am I wrong?   ;D

I actually go to see and touch the Milowidget on Sunday. 
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

BoldJava

« Reply #462 on: April 23, 2012, 06:56:49 PM »
I saw it but he asked me if I would put the finishing touches on the code. 

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #463 on: April 24, 2012, 07:55:18 AM »
I thought I saw Milo taking orders for the Milowiget at the show, am I wrong?   ;D

I actually go to see and touch the Milowidget on Sunday.

Was it real?

:)
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #464 on: April 24, 2012, 07:55:46 AM »
I saw it but he asked me if I would put the finishing touches on the code.

I hope you agreed.

:)
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski