Author Topic: roaster control widget  (Read 56836 times)

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
Re: roaster control widget
« Reply #465 on: April 24, 2012, 02:08:19 PM »
Does that mean that the Milowidget is going to be outfitted with a murse?

That could be ... and maybe some cheese.

:)
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #466 on: April 24, 2012, 02:13:50 PM »
It could also mean that Bold|Java will have a chance to pooch all our roasts by proxy.

Never thought of that ... but you have a point.

Guaranteed poochees or your money back.

;D
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

BoldJava

« Reply #467 on: September 15, 2012, 06:44:41 AM »
Update on the Milowewidget (wink):

MVI 0825

Offline rgrosz78

• Standard User
« Reply #468 on: September 15, 2012, 09:07:56 AM »
Update on the Milowewidget (wink):

You are SUCH a tease ...
The inside story
Life is too short to drink bad wine (or bad coffee!)

BoldJava

« Reply #469 on: December 06, 2012, 01:58:15 PM »
Whose house is this one at now with the beta-testing?

milowebailey

« Reply #470 on: December 24, 2012, 11:01:26 AM »
I know most of you won't believe this, and I don't blame you.... but I've been working on the milowidget again and it's coming along.  With help from one of the members here I finally got the keypad working and now can actually control the roaster manually, as well as enter set points and ramp times. 

I have a week off of work and plan to work on it a little every day.  The difference between the milowidget and the homeroasters.org HT controller is you don't need a computer attached to it and will be able to enter in your profiles with the keypad.... hopefully store a few profiles and recall them.

Software isn't my strongest point, but I know what I want this to do.... and eventually I'll make it work.  Once that's done then I'll interface it with a Behmor... really :)

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #471 on: December 24, 2012, 11:06:44 AM »
I don't believe it.   ;)
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline rasqual

• Standard User
  • Chaser of Midwest farmers' daughters
« Reply #472 on: December 24, 2012, 11:17:20 AM »
Will someone refresh my lazy memory -- what's the basic infrastructure? Arduino?

Offline paultflorida

• Standard User
roaster control widget
« Reply #473 on: December 24, 2012, 11:18:47 AM »
I know most of you won't believe this, and I don't blame you.... but I've been working on the milowidget again and it's coming along.  With help from one of the members here I finally got the keypad working and now can actually control the roaster manually, as well as enter set points and ramp times. 

I have a week off of work and plan to work on it a little every day.  The difference between the milowidget and the homeroasters.org HT controller is you don't need a computer attached to it and will be able to enter in your profiles with the keypad.... hopefully store a few profiles and recall them.

Software isn't my strongest point, but I know what I want this to do.... and eventually I'll make it work.  Once that's done then I'll interface it with a Behmor... really :)

If it is this decade. Id like to test it. :)
Relaxing with coffee, cigar or pipe in central florida

milowebailey

« Reply #474 on: December 24, 2012, 11:21:59 AM »
Will someone refresh my lazy memory -- what's the basic infrastructure? Arduino?
yes, and I worked with Jim Galt who built a shield for me that has I2c, Jeelabs and a hottop interface, as well as 4 thermocouple interfaces... so all you have to do is assemble it and load the code.  Connects to your existing hottop ribbon cable and replaces the factory controller.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 11:24:02 AM by milowebailey »

Tex

« Reply #475 on: December 24, 2012, 11:30:01 AM »

Wasn't it originally tried on an Abacus, with EBCDIC coding? IIRC, Moses was about 14 when milo first discussed this.

Offline rasqual

• Standard User
  • Chaser of Midwest farmers' daughters
« Reply #476 on: December 24, 2012, 12:29:58 PM »
I think a more ambitious project needs to be undertaken -- an actual middleware product that'll establish standards for connectivity to roasters and controllers, allowing arbitrary pairing of unrelated controllers (DIY or commercial) and roasters (DIY or commercial).

I'm actually serious. Imagine a market where roaster designers didn't have to worry about controller design, and controller designers didn't have to worry about roaster design. Yes, there's a sense in which each needs to worry about the other, but from a standpoint of product design, as long as you stay withing parameters you could be agnostic with respect to the other part.

Dead. Serious. Instead of a 1:1 relationship between controllers and devices, there'd be a many:many possibility space within which the state of the art could evolve.

Who is with me!? We march at dawn!

Offline rgrosz78

• Standard User
« Reply #477 on: December 24, 2012, 01:18:24 PM »
ALL the Behmor users are dying to have more control of the roast - that is why I jumped to the Hottop. I know the Behmor isn't your primary market, but I don't know of any competitors (such as the homeroasters / Jim Galt controller for the Hottop).

Offline rgrosz78

• Standard User
« Reply #478 on: December 24, 2012, 03:07:04 PM »
Chris, I have the "control board" with thermocouples for my Behmor. It does is show me the temperature inside the Behmor - but not the bean temperature. I think most Behmor users would like a way to control the fan and the heat during the roast - this is why I got the Hottop.

milowebailey

« Reply #479 on: December 24, 2012, 03:38:43 PM »
I hacked into my Behmor a few years ago... I need to dig out my notes and then build an interface board or adapt the hottop board to the Behmor.  Not difficult to do.