Author Topic: roaster control widget  (Read 56894 times)

milowebailey

Re: roaster control widget
« Reply #105 on: February 03, 2009, 12:39:07 PM »
So I decided today to use my old alpenroast as my first Milowidget controlled roaster.   Hope to do a test roast this weekend.

I'll have the fire extinguisher in hand ;D

I'll plot the results and take a few photos for the lurkers >:D interested folks

What happened with the Sonofresco?  Are you doing the AlpenRoast just in case something unpredictable should occur?

:)

Sonofresco is still in the plan, however I anticipate some bugs development time and need to roast coffee in the mean time.  Since I have to take out the existing controller in the Sonofresco to connect and test the Milowidget I figured that using my Alpenrost would make more sense than gutting the Sono right away.  Once I get the bugs out of the software then I can connect to the Sono and work on the PID.  One step at a time.

I am accepting donations for a second Sonofresco if folks would like to contribute ;D

Attached is the preliminary Sonofresco design (block diagram) ... and the Alpenrost design (block diagram).... more to interface with really.

« Last Edit: February 03, 2009, 01:12:21 PM by milowebailey »

cfsheridan

« Reply #106 on: February 03, 2009, 01:22:05 PM »
Arduino ordered, with other breadboard components to follow.  I'll be looking to use this as a basis for a Hottop control system at some point, following in your footsteps...

milowebailey

« Reply #107 on: February 03, 2009, 01:51:30 PM »
Ok, that's 3 of us now!  Very cool. 

What controls will be needed for the Hottop?  Heater, fan, any motors??  Do any of the motors reverse?

Looks like 2 fans, two motors, and solonoid and heater...
« Last Edit: February 03, 2009, 02:06:57 PM by milowebailey »

crholliday

« Reply #108 on: February 03, 2009, 02:31:19 PM »

What controls will be needed for the Hottop?  Heater, fan, any motors??  Do any of the motors reverse?

The cooling motor does reverse. The solonoid is for the bean drop mechanism? I swear I have seen a wiring diagram for the hottop.

Chad do you have a B?

cfsheridan

« Reply #109 on: February 03, 2009, 03:29:43 PM »

The cooling motor does reverse. The solonoid is for the bean drop mechanism? I swear I have seen a wiring diagram for the hottop.

Chad do you have a B?

I will have a B as soon as the panel gets here.

As far as what I want to control, at the moment it will be the heater and fan.  Then I'll work on the cooling motor and bean dump solenoid.  The drum motor will just be maintaining the existing controls--no need to change it out.

Ideally, I am thinking of grabbing one of the older models (pre-B/P) for the mods.  In the meantime, I am putting in a ET/BT datalogging module (standalone, not with the widget) when I install the B controller.

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #110 on: February 03, 2009, 03:33:51 PM »
Sonofresco is still in the plan, however I anticipate some bugs development time and need to roast coffee in the mean time.  Since I have to take out the existing controller in the Sonofresco to connect and test the Milowidget I figured that using my Alpenrost would make more sense than gutting the Sono right away.  Once I get the bugs out of the software then I can connect to the Sono and work on the PID.  One step at a time.

I see ... of course that makes perfect sense.  Besides ...you probably want one of those Milowidgets on the Alpenroast anyway ... right?

1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

milowebailey

« Reply #111 on: February 03, 2009, 04:30:56 PM »

I see ... of course that makes perfect sense.  Besides ...you probably want one of those Milowidgets on the Alpenroast anyway ... right?

4 years ago I did design a son of milowidget for the alp.... the problem was I had to take the machine apart and re-burn an eprom to change the profile and I kinda outgrew the alp.  I sold it to a co-worker who never used it so I'm buying it back... it will be good for a sample roaster with the milowidget.

milowebailey

« Reply #112 on: February 03, 2009, 04:36:28 PM »

Chad do you have a B?

I will have a B as soon as the panel gets here.

As far as what I want to control, at the moment it will be the heater and fan.  Then I'll work on the cooling motor and bean dump solenoid.  The drum motor will just be maintaining the existing controls--no need to change it out.

Ideally, I am thinking of grabbing one of the older models (pre-B/P) for the mods.  In the meantime, I am putting in a ET/BT datalogging module (standalone, not with the widget) when I install the B controller.
If you can score 2 of the older models I'd be up for one. ;D ;D  Heater and fan are easy... bus so are the cooling motor and bean dump.  If it were me I'd build the hardware interface for all of them and if need be start with coding the heater and fan.  From what I read the fan is a DC motor so it's just a matter of programming an analog pin with an amplifier to change the speed of the fan.  The heater is a simple solid state relay connected to a digital pin.  Control will be similar to the Sonofresco.... except I haven't figured out how to control the AC fan without spending a lot of ##.. but I may try pulsing as solid state relay...

Offline staylor

• Standard User
  • Back in Canada and the espresso still tastes good.
« Reply #113 on: February 03, 2009, 07:06:09 PM »
Whoah there, did someone say they were going to do something all-sciency to a HotTop? Cool!

Let me know when the HotTopenstein is ready to roll out to us HotTop commoners (please consider the lower class than commoner citizens who dig espresso profiles).

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
« Reply #114 on: February 03, 2009, 07:19:36 PM »
Whoah there, did someone say they were going to do something all-sciency to a HotTop? Cool!

Let me know when the HotTopenstein is ready to roll out to us HotTop commoners (please consider the lower class than commoner citizens who dig espresso profiles).

HotTopenstein?!?!  its the Milowidget... and when it is done it will plug into any roaster.. that way you can buy one then as your roaster gets bigger  the Milowidget will still be your best roasting buddy  ;D

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #115 on: February 03, 2009, 08:37:49 PM »
HotTopenstein?!?!  its the Milowidget... and when it is done it will plug into any roaster.. that way you can buy one then as your roaster gets bigger  the Milowidget will still be your best roasting buddy  ;D

The MiloWidget ... the first and last coffee roaster control unit that you will ever need.  Get one soon to hold your status as a true roasting geek!

1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

cfsheridan

« Reply #116 on: February 03, 2009, 08:48:07 PM »

That's assuming Larry and I make the widget the same...

Of course, since I cannot code to save my tuchas...it may be the same.  Who knows?

milowebailey

« Reply #117 on: February 03, 2009, 09:21:59 PM »
As I read this thread I'm dreaming that there will be a milowidget in every household.... Shaun will have one on his unicycle, Peter one on his SC/TO, Buttwhiskers on his Hello Kitties, Bold|Java on his vacpots, SusanJoM on her chicken coop, Tex on his whole heard of roaster, Rasqual on his RK, cfsheridan on his Hottop, crholiday on his probat, Nimbus running the whole Monkey House, Monito on his 2 bag roaster (testing on this one could get spendy), Starbucks on their.......naaaaaa....... it will be more popular than the Edsel I say!!!!

cfsheridan

« Reply #118 on: February 03, 2009, 09:29:31 PM »
As I read this thread I'm dreaming that there will be a milowidget in every household.... Shaun will have one on his unicycle, Peter one on his SC/TO, Buttwhiskers on his Hello Kitties, Bold|Java on his vacpots, SusanJoM on her chicken coop, Tex on his whole heard of roaster, Rasqual on his RK, cfsheridan on his Hottop, crholiday on his probat, Nimbus running the whole Monkey House, Monito on his 2 bag roaster (testing on this one could get spendy), Starbucks on their.......naaaaaa....... it will be more popular than the Edsel I say!!!!

WWIS (What would Ike say?)

In the councils of government coffee, we must guard against the acquisition of unwarranted influence, whether sought or unsought, by the milowebailey-industrial complex. The potential for the disastrous rise of misplaced power exists and will persist.

milowebailey

« Reply #119 on: February 03, 2009, 09:31:08 PM »

That's assuming Larry and I make the widget the same...

You're not suggesting a cheap knock-off of a cheap knock-off are you?..... That would be like copying a fake Rolex.