Author Topic: roaster control widget  (Read 57020 times)

Offline MMW

• Standard User
Re: roaster control widget
« Reply #195 on: March 05, 2009, 10:17:42 AM »
Should I add an annoying beeper like the hottop has now???

I'd rather have the 'auto-dump' 15 degrees before 1st crack feature  :tard:
"During the early 19th century, most Americans subsisted on a diet of pork, whiskey, and coffee.  ----- Where did we go wrong?

milowebailey

« Reply #196 on: March 05, 2009, 04:14:21 PM »
Ok, I figured out why they turn the fan on near the end of the roast..... almost hit 3rd crack... When the beans go exothermic just turning of the heater on the Hottop won't slow it down enough, so they turn it on when they think this happens.

Other than going to French the first roast on the Hottop was a success.... held 400 degrees for 1 minute without a stall.

Anyone (Buttwhiskers maybe) know at what temperature this normally happens with coffee?

Edit: I mucked with the code a little and turned the fan on when I got to 430 degrees... but it still didn't help enough... I may have to turn it on sooner.. Also notice the stall at about 240 degrees.  This hottop is much harder than the alpenrost to keep a stable temp.

I may try and monitor the heater pin and let the Hottop controller control the roaster and see how they do it.

« Last Edit: March 06, 2009, 07:24:12 AM by milowebailey »

Offline rasqual

• Standard User
  • Chaser of Midwest farmers' daughters
« Reply #197 on: March 07, 2009, 09:21:26 AM »
Sweet.

milowebailey

« Reply #198 on: March 25, 2009, 12:09:30 PM »
Ok, now that the whole car theft thing is behind me... and the Sumatra distros, I can re-focus on the milowidget.

I have (edit: designed and built) an interface board specifically for the Hottop that has 2 thermocouple amplifier and the correct plug so you can just pull the old control panel off and drop in the milowidget.  I did add the interface for the AC detection circuit (INT) so those of you with a more modern Hottop can utilize that functionality... although I have no way to test that part....

I also have acquired a display / button board that plugs onto the milowidget so it's a nice clean package.   Now to really focus on the code and profiles.  I have some thoughts thanks to Chad on using the ratio of Bean temp to environment temp for the PID loop input.... I hope it works like my gray matter thinks it should.

stay tuned.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2009, 12:33:45 PM by milowebailey »

Offline MMW

• Standard User
« Reply #199 on: March 25, 2009, 12:32:43 PM »
cool...I was hoping this hadn't been shelved.  Can't wait to see the progress. :occasion14:
"During the early 19th century, most Americans subsisted on a diet of pork, whiskey, and coffee.  ----- Where did we go wrong?

Tex

« Reply #200 on: March 25, 2009, 12:34:40 PM »
Has the Sonofresco Milowidget been shelved?

milowebailey

« Reply #201 on: March 25, 2009, 12:37:34 PM »
Has the Sonofresco Milowidget been shelved?

nope, it's just that I still need to roast ;D so I'm planning on using the Hottop as my major development platform.... then once I'm happy with those results.... the Sono is next...

cfsheridan

« Reply #202 on: March 25, 2009, 02:02:48 PM »
Ok, now that the whole car theft thing is behind me... and the Sumatra distros, I can re-focus on the milowidget.

I have (edit: designed and built) an interface board specifically for the Hottop that has 2 thermocouple amplifier and the correct plug so you can just pull the old control panel off and drop in the milowidget.  I did add the interface for the AC detection circuit (INT) so those of you with a more modern Hottop can utilize that functionality... although I have no way to test that part....

I also have acquired a display / button board that plugs onto the milowidget so it's a nice clean package.   Now to really focus on the code and profiles.  I have some thoughts thanks to Chad on using the ratio of Bean temp to environment temp for the PID loop input.... I hope it works like my gray matter thinks it should.

stay tuned.

If you need a tester....also, I have some of the components already--and another nice piece of software that may be of interest.

milowebailey

« Reply #203 on: March 25, 2009, 02:17:54 PM »
and another nice piece of software that may be of interest.
I'm interested!!

Offline YasBean

• Standard User
  • Lever that sucker!
« Reply #204 on: April 05, 2009, 06:14:25 PM »
Wow!  I've been out of the scene for a while, and look what has been going on while I was gone.  I read this entire thread in one sitting, and cannot wait to see what happens, especially since I just gutted my HT-P and replaced a good portion of it.  If only I could have replaced the control panel with a Milowidget...  Let me know when it is time for beta-testing!
Londinium L1, Bullet R1, Compak E8, VBM DB, Vario, Hario Vac

mattquist

« Reply #205 on: April 06, 2009, 05:59:41 AM »
GASP!  PLEASE TELL ME THAT'S NOT ONE OF THOSE COFFEE CUPS!!!!!  You sir, deserve a good razzing for that!.  However, I applaud you on your widget, and appreciate all  of your hard work.

garybt3

« Reply #206 on: April 06, 2009, 06:35:02 AM »
How do you guys get your wives to allow you to roast coffee in their kitchen???
Are they out of town or something? ::)

What's your secret, because I must be doing something wrong. ;)

I am lucky to have enough space for an espresso machine, grinder & Chemex maker... :P

All of my roasting gear is out in the shop...

Offline rasqual

• Standard User
  • Chaser of Midwest farmers' daughters
« Reply #207 on: April 06, 2009, 06:46:15 AM »

The secret is more startling than you're supposing.

His wife is forcing him to do all this.       ;D

Tex

« Reply #208 on: April 06, 2009, 07:05:24 AM »

I am lucky to have enough space for an espresso machine, grinder & Chemex maker... :P

My spouse made me keep the last roaster I bought. A smart man will do anything to keep the wifey happy!  8)

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
« Reply #209 on: April 06, 2009, 07:06:31 AM »

I just made my wife an omelet with sauteed baby portabella (sp?) in a simple gravy for my Birthday Breakfast...  that kind of treatment pays the rent on the cupboard over the oven and keeps the complaints on the smell of roasting in the pottery studio to a minimum..