Author Topic: Toper Cafemino (1 KG)  (Read 4544 times)

Pyment

Toper Cafemino (1 KG)
« on: August 02, 2010, 03:40:30 AM »
I think I am having an electric problem with my roaster. A little over a month ago, roasts started taking longer. I went from 12-15 min roasts to 25-30 minute roasts. I am only getting past 180C with restricting air flow.

The heating element has 2 coils and I can turn on 1 or both. It appears that neither comes on when I turn on one, but both come on when I switch on both. Even then I don't get the heat I used to.

I am thinking that either the switch has a problem or the element does.

I am running it through its paces this AM to make sure I have this right.

Suggestions?
« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 12:59:54 PM by BoldJava »

milowebailey

Re: Toper Cafemino (1 KG) problems
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2010, 06:20:20 AM »
If they both come on in a switch position then your heating coils are ok.

So either there is an issue with your switch or there is a thermo overload switch (thermo fuse) that you let the smoke out of.... Should be a simple fix either way.

Pyment

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2010, 07:27:16 AM »
I am not sure if one of the coils seems less red than the other. So, since I have the replacement on hand, I was going to replace the other and see if that fixed my problem.

Where would I look for the thermo fuse?

The good news is there is a new Toper distributor for North America. The prior guy wouldn't help me because he said my machine wasn't purchased from him. Hopefully a new guy will see the potential in being nicer. Word gets around.

milowebailey

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2010, 07:33:46 AM »
I am not sure if one of the coils seems less red than the other. So, since I have the replacement on hand, I was going to replace the other and see if that fixed my problem.

Where would I look for the thermo fuse?

The good news is there is a new Toper distributor for North America. The prior guy wouldn't help me because he said my machine wasn't purchased from him. Hopefully a new guy will see the potential in being nicer. Word gets around.

The thermo fuse (If there is one will be in series with the switch circuit.

should look something like this: 
but might be covered in a sheath.

Offline Ringo

• Standard User
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2010, 10:39:53 AM »
If you can check resistance, turn everything on with the electric unpluged.  The resistance "ohms"  should be close to the same on both heaters.   I would check at the switch in case there is some fuse or conection bad somewhere.   If one is lower go to the coils and see if they read good.   If there are mechanical relays, and the heat coil resistance is close to the same I would suspect the relays are getting bad.  If power goes through a temp controler with a thermocouple I would look at that.  Should get a very low resistance through that.
If this is coffee, please bring me some tea; but if this is tea, please bring me some coffee.
Abraham Lincoln

jspain

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2010, 01:26:22 PM »
Al,

I just noticed your roaster in the pic icon under your name! Neat! Your reduction of the electric current makes sence. Too bad I don't have any sence!

Good luck Py,  Jim

Offline Ringo

• Standard User
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2010, 01:40:37 PM »
I need to get a better picture, hard to take a good picture with it being mostly black.
If this is coffee, please bring me some tea; but if this is tea, please bring me some coffee.
Abraham Lincoln

BoldJava

Re: Toper Cafemino (1 KG)
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2014, 12:58:43 PM »
When I was at Press Coffee, they use a 1 kilo Toper (Cafemino) for their sample roaster (100 grams and up).  Nanda, the roaster, loves it.  They grabbed it off the floor at an SCAA convention.  Nice eye candy.  Plumbed for natural gas.

milowebailey

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2014, 01:05:10 PM »
When I was at Press Coffee, they use a 1 kilo Toper (Cafemino) for their sample roaster (100 grams and up).  Nanda, the roaster, loves it.  They grabbed it off the floor at an SCAA convention.  Nice eye candy.  Plumbed for natural gas.

Mounted sideways like that don't the beans fall out?

BoldJava

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2014, 01:06:31 PM »
While here in Phoenix, Press Coffee introduced me via phone to the SW rep who sells Topers.  He was over in Tempe, near Ariz State University, so that was my next stop.  He had this 1 kilo step up that he will use for traveling shows and classes.  He is a Q-grader and is about to leave for Honduras and Guatemala to teach cupping and greens grading down there.

I watched him roast 3 roasts and I am ambivalent about the machine.  It seemed noisy for a 1 kilo.  The sales rep is very cryptic so I couldn't understand his response when I asked him how he heard the cracks (the Guat he was roasting was silent).  I repeated the question and he suggested it was the bean.  The next roast was an Ethiopian and I couldn't hear them crack either.  I was tired of terse responses so I didn't bring it up again. 

These run about $7000 shipped to your NAmer door, propane or natural jets set up.  I liked the eye candy model at Press Coffee but this lime green one did nothing for me.

I will call Nanda when I get home and ask her more about her experience on one, particularly around the noise level and cracks.  I think Cammie roasts on one so she may be able to fill in some gaps for us.

« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 01:10:22 PM by BoldJava »

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2014, 01:11:39 PM »
What kind of noises was it making that you couldn't hear the cracks?

Not being a smartass, but perhaps your hearing problems had something to do w/ it?

I think a 1K machine might serve you just as well or better than a 1lb.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

BoldJava

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2014, 01:20:54 PM »
No, it wasn't my hearing (no offense taken -- too may jet engines during Nam).  Had the hearing aids in.  None of us (3 of us were at the machine) could hear them.  Decibels were just too loud in my opinion.

Cammie

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2014, 09:07:04 PM »
I roast with an electric manual 1 kilo Torrefattore and a Quest M3. Compared to a Behmor, Hottop, Gene Cafe or Quest (really quiet),  the TF is noticeably louder particularly when I adjust air flow and the blowers ramp up.  Nevertheless, I can hear first and second crack with no problems even when I'm outside the roasting shed about 5-6 feet away.  I'm really surprised about the loudness of the Toper.  I wonder if there was something wrong with the sale rep's demo model.

After I preheat the roaster about 15 minutes I can continually roast for hours at a time.  I can see how a large scale roaster could use something like a Toper or TF as their sample roaster.  I've never used a 1 kilo Toper, but I assume that it can easily roast 1/2 -2 pound batches similar to the TF. With the TF, I can roast approximately three 1.5 pound batches each hour (I think a 1.5 pound batch size works best with the TF).  I need about 6-8 minutes between roasts to cool down the roaster to my desired bean drop temperature for the next roast.

« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 09:12:35 PM by Cammie »

Pyment

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2014, 11:23:25 AM »
What kind of noises was it making that you couldn't hear the cracks?

RRRMMMRRRMmmrrrMMMuurRRUmmm......  (at least that's how mine sounds) does that help?

Not being a smartass

Has peter changed that much? wow!

Sounds like B/roasterenvy is looking for a real machine...

Has anyone looked at the Forex (Chinese) roasters being sold in Minneapolis?

I'm thinking about making the trip to look at one and switching over to LP.

Pyment

« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2014, 12:41:18 PM »
By the way, I am considering selling it.

I have to come up with a fair price.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk 2